weekly Asha Film 52 with 52 Different Cameras Challenge WEEK 52: Completed!....

I think week 12 is a cracking shot, so much to look at but not too much to be distracting: thumbs:

Well 13 - how cool do they look? I used to LOVE watching CHiPS! I think this image works really well. I didn't notice the background as the cops fill enough to keep you looking.

Hi Marsha,

I've got both these printed A4 ....They actually look better on paper!

I was very lucky to get week 12 as I forgot to zip close the changing bag when dealing with the film....ruined most of the other shots on the roll:(

Week 13.....yes fortuanatly the police do dominate the scene so the other "faults" aren't noticed so much..........now i've said that, everyone will start looking for the faults!! :D

hi asha just found this post by accident really enjoyed looking at all the old camera's and totally amazed you get anything out of them keep up the good work and keep them coming

hi asha just found this post by accident really enjoyed looking at all the old camera's and totally amazed you get anything out of them keep up the good work and keep them coming

Hi Mike,
Welcome to my film 52.
I hope to get some more posted very soon ....week 14 and possibly 15 as well.
It takes quite a lot of "persuasion" and patience to get a shot out of some of this gear but all adds to the fun! lol
As I go through the weeks, you may recognise some cameras that you perhaps used as a young man?!!

Week 14 Welcome aboard...Not!

A stroll around the local port to view the many yachts that berth in Nice.

This particular one was from London ( or at least it's registered there!)

halinapauletteelectric2.jpg

Shot at 2012-04-10

Camera this week: Halina Paulette Electric ( Chinese export C.1963)

halinapauletteelectricw.jpg

Shot at 2012-04-10

F/4
1/60
Rollei Retro 35mm 100 ISO
Ilford Chemistry
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

I've got one of those Halina's, in much worse condition than yours through :D I don't think ive put a roll though it as the meter is dead and the stutter seems to fire at whatever speed it wants :bang: Still. for £5 on ebay you get what you pay for.

I like the image, just a shame you cropped the right side of the gangway off :(

I've got one of those Halina's, in much worse condition than yours through :D I don't think ive put a roll though it as the meter is dead and the stutter seems to fire at whatever speed it wants :bang: Still. for £5 on ebay you get what you pay for.

I like the image, just a shame you cropped the right side of the gangway off :(

LOL, I have another one of these halinas myself which doesn't work ....In fact the lens barrell etc is so loose and the aperture blades are like mangled!!!....That was a £2 ebay special from a long time back where the seller was a down and out liar!!

This one which works is in reasonble nick although they are hardly a piece of quality kit are they??!! lol
Some of the bodywork rattles about on this one too!!!

Here's the original:

neg12a.jpg

Shot at 2012-04-10

I wasn't over keen on the busy right hand side to the original nor could I be pestered sorting out the water markes at the top of the image but maybe you ( and others) will find it preferable to the cropped version...

Now i see why you cropped it and i can live with the missing corner rather than the busy stuff in the BG

Now i see why you cropped it and i can live with the missing corner rather than the busy stuff in the BG

Tbh, I think I simply didn't take enough notice of the BG when composing on this occasion although I know that often what is seen in the viewfinders of these old cameras is far from what actually records on the film.:bang:....doesn't help if the viewfinders are badly fogged and all you can see is like next to nothing!:LOL:

Week 15: La Bollene Vésubie (one of the mountain villages approx 30miles inland from Nice)
Sat here having a picnic, enjoying the sun, view and the tranquility. Some snow still around on the distant hills......

kodakbrowniestarmite.jpg

Shot at 2012-04-14

Camera used :
Kodak Brownie Starmite
kodakbrowniestarmite.jpg

Shot at 2012-04-14

Aperture F/16 (ish)
Fixed shutter speed 1/50 (ish)
EFKE R100 127 film
Ilford Chemistry
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

Hi Asha, your yacht shot is great, it really draws your eye. I prefer the cropped version too.

I'd like to get aboard some of these yachts simply for a chance to get some shots ...would have to be whilst berthed up though as anything other than a flat calm makes me wanna :puke: :D

Love the beautiful mountain view, such great detail for an old camera(y)

The foothills of the Alpes are practically on our doorstep ...don't have to go as far as this to enjoy them.......Seen them so many times yet never become tired of visiting them again and again.
I've always been a lover of mountains spending many a night out on a Scottish munro or a Lakeland summit when I lived in the UK.

Lovely mountain view, nice spot for a picnic!

Yes, one of many beautiful places to enjoy lunch without the crowds.

Very very fortuanate to have the dry weather to be able to do so for most of the year although have to confess there was still quite a nip in the wind...Brrrr! lol

Quite like it, the little village being dwarfed by the mountains, good depth to the image :)

Quite like it, the little village being dwarfed by the mountains, good depth to the image :)

Thanks Rob,
Yes the villages do often looked dwarfed by their surroundings.
I did take a similar shot with a pathway in the foreground leading into the scene to purposely get more depth but sadly it didn't come out very well.

I did take a similar shot with a pathway in the foreground leading into the scene to purposely get more depth but sadly it didn't come out very well.

Thats a shame, its an excuse to go back for a revisit if anything :D

Week 16
A "man" not to be messed with!

One of the many sculptures in Nice;

This fella is made from rock boulders and reinforced steel and is located in the centre of town.....He has a "big brother" guarding the main roundabout at the entrance to Nice airport.

week16coronetcaptain.jpg

Shot at 2012-05-10

Camera used:
Coronet Captain c.1955
Almost mint in condition, this camera has a distinct "smiley face" look about it.

Very limited controls with fixed aperture & shutter speed although it does have a "close up" lens feature allowing shots to be taken as close as 3ft and even has a green filter built in!

The two halves of the casing are held fastened together by press stud clips ( one either side) which have a tendancy to come undone....not one of it's best features!!

9coronetcaptain.jpg

Shot at 2012-05-10

Aperture F/16 (ish)
Fixed shutter speed 1/60 (ish)
Ilford PanF Plus 120 film
ISO 50
Ilford Chemistry
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

He looks well 'ard, definitely wouldnt want to mess with him... The exposure looks good for one shutter speed and one aperture :)

He does look a bit menacing.

You've done well with the exposure, I struggle with all the bells & whistles!!!

Asha said:
although it does have a "close up" lens feature allowing shots to be taken as close as 3ft and even has a green filter built in!

Wow that close :bonk:

He looks well 'ard, definitely wouldnt want to mess with him... The exposure looks good for one shutter speed and one aperture :)

Ha ha , yeah you wouldn't wanna meet up with him in a dark alley!! lol

A lot of these cameras have very minimal settings....In one way it makes it easier in so far as "point & shoot" but then other times it can be a pain if I see a shot but the film speed is wrong for the lighting!

I've been known to go out with 3 box cameras with 3 different film speeds to try and avoid that issue!!

He does look a bit menacing.

You've done well with the exposure, I struggle with all the bells & whistles!!!

Wow that close :bonk:

Thanks Marsha......The lighting just fell right for that particular shot!

I did consider a very close head portrait of my good lady but seeing as the camera had lasted well over 50 years, i didn't want to chance cracking its lens!! lol......I won't state what she's just called me!:D

Hi Asha, that's a really good shot that, and a very interesting sculpture. A great addition to your project.

Glad you like it Michael....there are lots of sculptures down here for all different tastes....I'll have to get shooting some more!

Tbh I've been struggling a bit recently with this challenge ( hence why i've dropped back a few weeks); No doubt I'll catch up again soon ...I tend to have phases like that...not just with photography:D

Great shot Asha; I like it a lot! If I was commenting on a digital shot I'd say the bottom half of the sculpture is a bit lost in the background, but I'm guessing that's inevitable with this camera. I think the exposure is great given that it must have been very contrasty conditions.

Almost makes me want to pick up a film camera! I say almost because I'm not sure I could be doing with the hassle of processing etc, but it definitely has an appeal! :)

Great shot Asha; I like it a lot! If I was commenting on a digital shot I'd say the bottom half of the sculpture is a bit lost in the background, but I'm guessing that's inevitable with this camera. I think the exposure is great given that it must have been very contrasty conditions.

Almost makes me want to pick up a film camera! I say almost because I'm not sure I could be doing with the hassle of processing etc, but it definitely has an appeal! :)

Thanks for taking time to comment Mark...much appreciated!

One of the drawbacks with these old cameras is many do not offer a shallow DOF....often F/8 being the largest aperture so to lose the background is no easy task and I'm not one for manipulating them in pp...

For me the pleasure comes from simply being able to get an image at all.....what with foggy viewfinders, fungus lenses, light leaks,sticky shutters etc etc ...the list goes on but the "hassle" of it all makes the challenge.

Like any collectioner, I play around and admire my gear but there is nothing quite like taking it out and using it for what it was designed to do ...take a photograph!

Week 16
A "man" not to be messed with!

One of the many sculptures in Nice;

This fella is made from rock boulders and reinforced steel and is located in the centre of town.....He has a "big brother" guarding the main roundabout at the entrance to Nice airport.

week16coronetcaptain.jpg

Shot at 2012-05-10

This chap appears in one of my favourite films!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQG3I5efwWo

One of the first things you see when you leave the airport. Far more imaginative than a bland "Welcome to Nice" sign.

LOL.......I've never seen that program Jon, quite amusing!......Just glad these fellows here don't wander around like that .......or maybe they do when we're not looking :eek:

I'm enjoying your retro camera images - all very nice (y)

Nick

Thanks for dropping in on my 52 Nick......

I've dropped a bit behind recently, I have been taking shots with other cameras but have been somewhat dissapointed with the results for all different reasons so haven't posted them.

Maybe I need to be less critical of my work and the abilities of the cameras and just get them put up on here regardless....

I'm hoping to load up a couple of cameras and get ou this afternoon......just need some inspiration of what to shoot now!!

I'm really enjoying your challenge. Still posting some great pictures. Thanks for the work and sharing.

I'm really enjoying your challenge. Still posting some great pictures. Thanks for the work and sharing.

Wow more encouragement to keep on with it....many thanks!

I've just got back from a ride out to a fairly nearby village where i managed to finish off 3 rolls of out of date 127 film in 3 different cameras from the 1950s.

The fact it decided to thunderstorm whilst there just added to the event not least of all as I wore a "summer" motorcycling jacket which aint waterproof!!!!! lol

Cup of tea then dev time....hopefully have something worthwhile posting during this week...

Week 17

"Cascade"

This is a man made cascade (waterfall) located on the side of Castle Hill in Nice.

Castle Hill (La Colline du Chateau), considered to be the origin of the town of Nice, is an old fortified site that was occupied by Celtic Ligurians.

To obtain a good shot would involve a wide angle lens or alternatively shooting it from the promenade with a telephoto lens.

As it is I got the best I could with the limitations of a 105mm focal length!

week17agfabillyclackb.jpg

Shot at 2012-05-28

Camera used:

Agfa Billy Clack (No 74 model) c.1934

agfabillyclack.jpg

Shot at 2012-05-28

Aperture F/11
Fixed shutter speed 1/30
Fomapan Classic 120 film
ISO 100
Ilford Chemistry
Canoscan 8800F (2400ppp)

That's a cracking shot Asha:clap: These days people have to use fangled ND filters (I've got one, don't know how to use it) to get a slow exposure without going over exposed, I think you've done well here with the lighting. There's also just enough movement in the water without going too fuzzy!

It's only week 22, you're not that far behind:nuts: After all one guy has joined in our (I say normal but you know what I mean) 52 in May and working through all 22 weeks:bonk:

There must be hundreds of things in Nice that are interesting? I look forward to more images soon.

That's a cracking shot Asha:clap: These days people have to use fangled ND filters (I've got one, don't know how to use it) to get a slow exposure without going over exposed, I think you've done well here with the lighting. There's also just enough movement in the water without going too fuzzy!

It's only week 22, you're not that far behind:nuts: After all one guy has joined in our (I say normal but you know what I mean) 52 in May and working through all 22 weeks:bonk:

There must be hundreds of things in Nice that are interesting? I look forward to more images soon.

Hi Marsha,

Thank you for your very kind words...I did wonder if anyone would like it!

I very nearly didn't put a shot up from this Agfa.

I've been pondering for several weeks over the results I got from the roll of film.....tbh I was not happy with any of them.

One of the difficulties I'm experiencing is although I realise most of this equipment is old and much of it was hardly top notch stuff in its day, i am possibly expecting too much from it in respect to how the shots come out.

My good lady keeps reminding me as to how fantastic it is ( for her anyway) that I can even get an image out of them let alone a half decent result......It's only the encouragement form her and you guys on TP that keep me going with this challenge.

Maybe i'm too hard on myself....I always have had a perfectionist side to me deep down which regularly gets in the way of me simply enjoying myself.

The results from the last 3 films/cameras that I'm scanning at the mo are also not to a very high standard but I'm sat trying to tell myself....what the hell...just post em!! lol

Nice has a lot to offer in photo opportunities.....in fact the whole area has.....just need to get out there and capture it!!

What a thread! What a collection of cameras! All the images are really interesting in there own way, for me though I love this weeks shot (17) really good stuff.

What a thread! What a collection of cameras! All the images are really interesting in there own way, for me though I love this weeks shot (17) really good stuff.

Thank you Mathew.....Glad you like! (y)

I notice you have an AV-1.............me too, not a bad piece of kit tbh.

I haven't used it for my 52 yet...I'm trying to get use out of the box cameras and folders and use more medium format.

Will look out for your results once you get some shots posted....why don't you join the F&C challenge and do your own film 52 .....still time to catch up ....one roll of film could potentially give you the 22 weeks worth of shots :D

Back