Astro Shot: M51 (The Whirlpool galaxy)

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
M51 or the Whirlpool galaxy is located in the constellation of Canes Venatici at approximately 26 million light years away. This is actually a pair of interacting galaxies.

This is a total of 15.5 hours of exposures, some of 15 minutes each and shorter ones of 3 minutes for the colour detail.

M51 / Arp 85 - The Whirlpool Galaxy # Explored
by swag72, on Flickr

Last edited:
As usual Sara, that's an excellent image well done!!

Of all the things that I find fascinating about the universe, it's the shear scale of everything that strikes me most and this shot highlights that for me.

26 million light years away...WOW. I was only talking to my Dad last night about M42 and that it was approx. 24 light years across and 1,600 light years away and he thought that was impressive but to capture something that's 26 million light years away is just staggering when you think about it.

Excellent yet again Sara (y)

[MP]Just remember you're evolving on a planet that's revolving...[/MP]

As always, great work.

Can't add much to what has been said except to agree wholeheartedly- another stunning image. There are many wonderful views in the sky but I think M51 could be the most impressive sight from the northern hemisphere.

Dave

Thanks all!!

I will post more as and when they come James, but generally these are imaged over many nights and so sometimes I can go for many weeks without anything, depending on cloud cover too. Now it's as cloudy as hell :(

Well outside my comfort zone, but I just find it amazing that photographers can take images such as this. It's the sort of science fiction many of us grew up with. You'd expect this to come from Hubble, or NASA or some very expensive kit, but when you see photographers posting images such as these it just blows you away.
Thanks and pleas keep posting.

Thanks all I'm glad that you like it and I appreciate your comments (y)

..... Not yours Chris :D
Just trying to be helpful as always Sara :p
(Clear blue again tonight too :D)

Here too - sorry, Sara!!!

Thanks Gareth. For imaging I have two scopes that I use.

This is my short focal length setup

and the scope that I am using at the moment for longer focal length is this one. Imagine it sat on the same mount as above with as many cables!!

I always click into your posts with a great deal of anticipation and I am never disappointed. Fantastic shot Sara as usual your technique and skill is amazing.

26 million light years away!! I guess the canon 100-400mm won't cut it then :LOL:

Steve

Thanks Steve - You'd be surprised what the shorter focal lengths will achieve. My scope is 329mm - Less than a 100-400!! Some Deep Space Objects are huge. I have some where I've had to take 2x3 pane mosaics to fit them in!!

Thats amazing, love it. And thats one hell of a bit of kit you took it with. Don't think my Mrs would be too impressed if I got one of them, she already thinks the 70-200 is ridiculous!

Thats amazing, love it. And thats one hell of a bit of kit you took it with. Don't think my Mrs would be too impressed if I got one of them, she already thinks the 70-200 is ridiculous!

I know what you mean!! I've sold quite a chunk of my camera lens' to fund some of this ............ well a little bit of it!!!

Amazing Sara, your images always amaze me - keep doing it!

Just great :)

Cheers
Drew

Absolutely mind-blowing... Makes me feel so insignificant! :p

Fan-flaming-tastic as always! Thanks for posting your setup, really interested in giving this a go sometime. Have you written how you do this anywhere (software, process etc)???

Back