Aurora forecast looks promising.....

ooh i saw an alert about this this morning, it said it may be visible in the whole of the UK - i am wondering if Essex is likely to get any - some areas near me have their street lights switched off after midnight but ive no idea where to go to look for it that would be good!

One if the strongest solar flaws In years they reckon. I don't think we're getting clear skies over east Scotland, however. And we have a full moon but if it's as strong as they reckon it is going to be then it won't be much of a problem.

One if the strongest solar flaws In years they reckon. I don't think we're getting clear skies over east Scotland, however. And we have a full moon but if it's as strong as they reckon it is going to be then it won't be much of a problem.

The largest flare for at least ten years but it won't reach us for a a couple of days, the current predicted aurora activity is from a series of M class flares over the last few days. I'll be keeping an eye on the weather with fingers crossed for clear conditions.

by the looks of things in Iceland, last night wasn't a big night.

there was a full moon last time i saw the auroa in Iceland, it wasn't super strong but didn't cause a problem and by 3am the moon has disappeared too

Yeah, I don't think it was a very big reading last night. It was too cloudy over here anyway so I didn't even bother venturing out.

Tomorrow night is when things should kick off as that's when the two X class flares are due to reach us, although displays before and after that are on the cards following the large number of flares this week.

Last edited:
Where you going?

There was a full storm last night visible as far South as France, but as ever cloud and rain for me. It was measured at KP8 or G4 depending on which scale you read. That's the same as we had a couple of years ago when I was in Iceland and that was one spectacular show, wish I was back in Iceland for this one. Images of that one here https://www.naturalworldimaging.com/iceland-2015

Yeah, readings last night were spectacular. I've seen some nice images on Facebook from Scotland and northern England and it looked great. Shame that it was mostly cloudy. I am going out tonight, probably up to Donnattar Castle near Stonehaven. A bit of a drive but hopefully I'll see some magic.

Yeah ive seen some amazing pics from Iceland, as usual - I have been the last two Septembers and this is around the time I would have gone if i had gone again this year :-( But i am priced out for the moment. Also see some photos from Scotland and Ireland, Seattle and Maine. I'm sure it's been seen in Essex in the past but think im a long way from anywhere good for viewing.

Is it repeating tonight?

This is on my bucket list but sod's law says it'll be cloudy tonight.

I don't have to drive too far either.

Church Stretton is a dark sky site so may head out if the weather is clear.

I use the above, too. I will defo be going out tonight and see what's going on. I think it will be strong readings tonight like last night. It's hit G4 again in the past hour.

Quite possibly from anywhere. Somewhere very dark and clear and north facing. Last night it was visible from France and central USA which very rarely happens...

Clear as a bell here last night. Shame that here is a bit too far South to see the Aurora last night - might have stood a chance on Dartmoor last night but Crete's pushing it!

It's forecast to drop to 5 between 9.00pm and 12 and then increase to 7 after midnight to 3.00am

I've just had to drive back from a day trip to Scotland. You can imagine how reluctant I was to leave, just in case. I'll keep sticking my head out of the window tonight, but I'm not too confident .

I'm there already!
Shame it's cloudy, though the forecast says it should improve around 11

Where are you heading? I'm in Kirkcaldy.

Probably up the Kirk Gate at Currie as there is a field opening about 3/4 of the way up. There is also a good viewpoint just around the corner to Harlaw Road and another one about 2/3 of the way along to Harlaw Reservoir.

Back