Baby birds, advice?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Neighbours doing some building works and have boarded up rear, but there are gaps and some birds have setup a nest (fast!). We've seen the small adults bringing food for a while but today I went out into the garden and almost stood on a tiny bird in the grass.

I think it's one of the chicks has hopped over to our garden. It's hopped back over but is there anything we need to do?

DSC_1543.JPG

Not a lot you can do really. I'd just let nature (red in tooth and claw...) take its course.

Not a lot you can do really. I'd just let nature (red in tooth and claw...) take its course.

Thanks, I'll do that and watch where I'm standing as well lol

I'd avoid that part of the garden for the rest of the day! If it doesn't survive, it'll help feed the next generation of whatever takes it and who are we to decide what should survive and what shouldn't.

Hard to be 100% sure but it does look like it has flight feathers, so an early fledgling = leave undisturbed as the adults will find and keep feeding it.

Also AFAIK if one has fledged the others will follow shortly......so if your garden is safer than next door (where the nest is).........try to leave the garden 'quiet' and you never know you might see feeding by the adults happening :)

I think it's gone back to the nest where there is definitely at least one more there.

All we have is Wild Bird Seed Mix and Suet balls. Not sure I want to encourage big birds to the garden?

All we have is Wild Bird Seed Mix and Suet balls. Not sure I want to encourage big birds to the garden?

Okey dokey..,,...good to work with what you have. All being well I hope you get to see them being fed in your garden ~ and pictures to share with us :)

Okey dokey..,,...good to work with what you have. All being well I hope you get to see them being fed in your garden ~ and pictures to share with us :)

Very much doubt it with 105mm being my longest reach. Would be croptastic!

Pretty much what we have, although we do give them sunflower hearts too. Blue, Great, Coal and Long Tailed are all regular Tit visitors alongside a few Finches.

Put some out last night and I think one of the adults was hovering them up this afternoon.

Well, the wife wanted a couple of feeders, so off I went to get some along with food and installed them this evening in strategic viewable positions.

Alas, still out of reach for photos. Although, she got her feeders so would it be fair to say I should get something as well?

#SEL200600G

DSC_1547.JPG

DSC_1549.JPG

If you find one out of the nest they may know where it is and continue to feed it - they usually make quite a bit of noise.
If it's in a vulnerable place maybe try to move it somewhere safer and more sheltered..

I have a ladder you can borrow - I use it to ascend to the gutter...

I removed my feeders as it a time of year where plenty of wild food is available :)

Back