Backdrop for lighting setup

Name
Robert Hunter
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking at getting a Black Muslin 3m x 6m backdrop, can anyone recommend somewhere? Seen them on fleabay for about £40-£50. been looking around and prices vary massively.:shrug:

Its a cotton muslin cloth at the end of the day lol

I Heard Blackout Lining From Fabric Shops Or Markets Is Good. That Comes In Black Or Dark Grey

Ahhh i read the title which says 9'6" x 16'8"... further down it says 6m x 3m (20' x 10')...

Excellent. thanks Gary, ill order one.(y)

Im not too sure on the differences but Isnt vinyl shinier compaired to cotton muslin?
That's fair comment, but if there's enough distance between subject and background (for the intensity of the light to fall off) that isn't a problem.

The best black background of all is black flock (4% reflectance) and next best is black velvet (5% reflectance) but both of these options are incredibly expensive.

A cheats/paupers backdrop.

Just a question about vinyl.

If I were to say buy a 'cheap' vinyl background and spray it with matt black paint (obviously not a huge roll of it) would this help to keep the shadows down/nil and reduce the chance of a reflection?

Shadows on black aren't a problem, reflections are only a problem if the lighting is uncontrolled and allowed to spill on to the backdrop.

I've never tried matt black paint but i expect it would work - if it doesn't crack and peel off

personally i think matte black velvet is best....muslin can turn different colours with lights bouncing off it, whilst the velvet seems to just be like a black hole and absorb it.

The best black background of all is black flock (4% reflectance) and next best is black velvet (5% reflectance) but both of these options are incredibly expensive.

I've searched ebay for black velvet and I can see two types. Crushed and non crushed. Which one is better?

1. crushed
2. non-crushed

Cheers

I've searched ebay for black velvet and I can see two types. Crushed and non crushed. Which one is better?

1. crushed
2. non-crushed

Cheers
I think that both of these materials are velveteen, or velvet-type fabric, not real velvet. Personally I doubt whether either are really non-reflective.

Real velvet is very expensive

I agree with Garry about the above links .. you can see the high reflection on fabric in the pics.
I think if youre going to go for velvet, you need to ensure its cotton velvet and not the cheap polyester kind.
Upholstery velvet is heaver with a denser thread count than the finer 'velvet' used for most of todays clothing/crafts.

Back