Backpacking Asia + Aus- take a tripod?

Name
Billy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

Next February I'm heading off travelling in SE Asia and Australia for 20 weeks- I'll be backpacking around SE Asia for 6 weeks, then I'm off to the Philippines to volunteer with a marine conservation organisation for 10 weeks, then I'll be doing 4 weeks of backpacking around Australia.

I'll be taking my DSLR (Nikon D7100) and 2 or 3 lenses, but I'm uncertain about taking my tripod. I own a MeFoto roadtrip tripod, which is pretty compact and folds down to just under 40cm long and weighs 1.6kg.

My dilemma is that I would really like to take it for use with long-exposure and night-time photography and for bits of video, but its a big piece of kit, and, especially in Asia, I might feel a bit self conscious touting round a tripod.

It'd be great to hear from anyone who has experience of backpacking/travel with a tripod and whether they regretted taking it?

Thanks!
Bill

I've just bought a Gitzo Traveler of similar dimensions ahead of a few trips around Europe next year. Like you, I'm planning some long exposure work, so the tripod or something to act as one is a must. I'm taking an FStop with my kit in which I'll attach it to. It's a tiny tripod!

Edit: I'll add that I'm going neither as long or as backpacky as you are!

Last edited:
Personally only ever took a tripod once on holiday. Never again but it was a large one and not light by today's standards. It all depends on you as a photographer. How do you shoot, what do you shoot and how bothered are you to get the shot. If you were taking a small micro 4/3s and a couple of lenses and a small tripod, I would say yes take one but to carry around a large DSLR plus lenses on long days needs a certain kind of resolve. Do you have the "right stuff"for that?

You could always take a joby gorrillapod, would obviously limit you to where you can put it but will fit in your backpack and will be nice and light.

Hi Bill,

Not sure it will actually be of much help to you, but I'm heading off the SEA in just over 5 weeks for 6 months
of backpacking then off to Aus for a few years after!

I'm taking a brilliant little travel tripod I grabbed off amazon. It's probably around 40cm too. For the little space it takes up, why not take it ay?

Can I ask what lenses you're taking with you as I'm still very much an amateur with my 1300D! Would love to hear your opinions!

When travelling light I ditch the tripod and take a bean bag and a Gorillapod

You could always take a joby gorrillapod, would obviously limit you to where you can put it but will fit in your backpack and will be nice and light.
When travelling light I ditch the tripod and take a bean bag and a Gorillapod

This - Whilst the tripod is a nice to have, if it's not a dedicated photo holiday then it just gets in the way, forces you to spend time setting up, getting the shot composed etc, which if you're with someone can be annoying.
Having a small beanbag works well, or a gorrilapod type is quick, forces you to be creative and doesn't take much room/weight up.

A tripod may be handy in Australia, having lived there since used to walk around with one. However I did not in New Zealand because it was just a pain in the backside taking it around, and it ended up in my suit case for most of the trip.

If you are fit and can walk a fair distance I recommend it.

I personally would take a tripod, especially if you are planning to do a lot of night photography.

I would also measure the length of your camera bag and try to take a small tripod that can fit inside as walking around with a tripod attached to the outside of your bag is an advertisement that you are walking around with expensive camera equipment to any would be thieves.

I took a Reged travel tripod when we went to Aus and NZ in 2014 and it did come in useful.

I took a Reged travel tripod when we went to Aus and NZ in 2014 and it did come in useful.

On the subject of redged, do they still make tripods? I was trying to find one to purchase recently and can’t seem to find them anywhere!

On the subject of redged, do they still make tripods? I was trying to find one to purchase recently and can’t seem to find them anywhere!
I think they are gone. Shame, they were good to deal with and the tripod I have from them is fine.

It's probably a bit late now but when travelling light I favour a Pedco Ultra II

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ANCPNM/

81hBhxWg4ML._SL1500_.jpg

Feel I’m somewhat qualified to answer (having spent 2 years travelling SE Asia snapping pictures). My advice is to go with a high quality joby gorilla pod &, depending on your camera, a triple hot-shoe bubble level.

I’d also highly recommend a go-pro (doesn’t need to be the latest model) & WiFi remote.

Camera is an entirely personal choice, I travelled with X100S + Olympus m4/3. Doing it again I’d just take a leica M9 + 35mm.

I think this really depends on how serious you are for getting the shot you want. I rely on my photography as income, so I definitely bring my tripod with me wherever I go. But if you're traveling for traveling sake - you may want to consider lightening the load of your lenses/tripod gear.

I bought a Gitzo Traveler on a trip around Australia and Tasmania, I packed it in the centre of my backpack while flying and just strapped it to my protactic 350 (which I used as carry on) when out and about, and I used it once, not a great success but still glad I took it.

I've travelled through Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, The Philippines, Thailand, Hong Kong, China, Cambodia, Japan and Australia with a tripod - never once felt out of place - and in each country I used it. Very useful for night time images. I tended to leave it in the hotel in the day time, and carry it in the evenings. Recently bought a smaller travel sized tripod from 3 legged thing which is much smaller and lighter - so will happily carry that wherever I go.

Back