Bargains Thread

It's not the bargain of the century, but Peter Walnes has a Nikon F3 in for £79 + £5 delivery. I was going to bite but between my F2 and FE2, I'm sorted for Nikon 35mm bodies.

Better price than eBay, and from a dealer as well (y)

Does it take better photos than my Centon K100 ;) But aren't these sorta of cameras a risk as they can be hammered by pros. :shrug:

Does it take better photos than my Centon K100 ;) But aren't these sorta of cameras a risk as they can be hammered by pros. :shrug:

Indeed, precisely why buying from a dealer is a much better bet (y)

Does it take better photos than the Centon, almost certainly not - but it's a good price for one of the most liked of the Nikon F bodies, the only non-motor drive F with aperture-priority exposure, and one of the most iconic :)

I tried the 2 Poundland in Nottingham but they don't stock film!! What a disappointment!

The one by the Victoria Centre does upstairs, I got some 24 exposure Agfa Vista+ 200 there the other weeks. Its upstairs towards the left.

I tried the 2 Poundland in Nottingham but they don't stock film!! What a disappointment!

They tend to be in the most bizarre, slightly obscured shelves, or buried under other junk - have a really good look, and failing that, a member of staff might be able to help.

It's not the bargain of the century, but Peter Walnes has a Nikon F3 in for £79 + £5 delivery. I was going to bite but between my F2 and FE2, I'm sorted for Nikon 35mm bodies.

Better price than eBay, and from a dealer as well (y)

Have looked at this myself but I can't justify it either... Already have one, as well as F, F2, F90x, Nikkormat, FG, EL2...:):):):LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I usually find the film buried under various CD boxes etc in the "Entertainment" sections, in various Poundlands. Good hunting, anway!

yeah mine had the film by blank cd/dvds, ipad cases and such. near some video dvds and books

Well, if you've got a collection going, don't stop... :banana:

I prefer to think of it as a set of cameras that I use ;).

Though one or two only get the odd roll through them. To be honest, the only reason I'd want another F3 is because it is probably my favourite of the bunch, and I'd probably want to sell one of the others if I did. But in truth there's not much need, and it can be nice to use different bodies. It's just tempting when you see bargains! Having said this, Ffordes regularly have F3 bodies for about £100 and with their 6 month guarantee, you can't really go wrong, so if I decide I need one, I can always go there.

I prefer to think of it as a set of cameras that I use ;).

Though one or two only get the odd roll through them. To be honest, the only reason I'd want another F3 is because it is probably my favourite of the bunch, and I'd probably want to sell one of the others if I did. But in truth there's not much need, and it can be nice to use different bodies. It's just tempting when you see bargains! Having said this, Ffordes regularly have F3 bodies for about £100 and with their 6 month guarantee, you can't really go wrong, so if I decide I need one, I can always go there.

...and also nice to use other makes of cameras as it makes the hobby more interesting.....I've put a film in a Centon K100 using a Pentax 24-35mm zoom and nearly always carry a 2nd camera and have decided to give the X-700 a workout using a 35mm-70mm Minolta zoom. (y)

Definitely. Almost spoilt for choice really in the big scheme of things. I want to shoot some more through my F2A first - thinking of maybe some slide film, and using the stepless intermediate shutter speeds to full effect.

...and also nice to use other makes of cameras as it makes the hobby more interesting.....I've put a film in a Centon K100 using a Pentax 24-35mm zoom and nearly always carry a 2nd camera and have decided to give the X-700 a workout using a 35mm-70mm Minolta zoom. (y)

Well, for 35mm SLR I've settled on Nikon, have the lenses to match and I have no interest in anything else - I'm too invested in Nikon for it to make sense. There is a slight nagging desire for a Leica but there's no way I could replace the versatility I have in my Nikons without spending £10K or more, and even that still wouldn't match what I have. I'd also be scared to damage it.

For variation and a different approach, I have the Rolleicord and Fuji GW690. I think I'm set for anything I need really, any purchases/sales now are really just tinkering around the edges!

Last edited:
Definitely. Almost spoilt for choice really in the big scheme of things. I want to shoot some more through my F2A first - thinking of maybe some slide film, and using the stepless intermediate shutter speeds to full effect.

You are so right and on the Nikon F series that can achieve that it is worth a lot of time, in the difficult situations of lighting and exposure it is worth so much more than any other film camera.(y)

Well, for 35mm SLR I've settled on Nikon, have the lenses to match and I have no interest in anything else - I'm too invested in Nikon for it to make sense. There is a slight nagging desire for a Leica but there's no way I could replace the versatility I have in my Nikons without spending £10K or more, and even that still wouldn't match what I have. I'd also be scared to damage it.

For variation and a different approach, I have the Rolleicord and Fuji GW690. I think I'm set for anything I need really, any purchases/sales now are really just tinkering around the edges!

Well in the beginning I might have settled for Nikon if the lenses were cheap, but for me I like the fun of using screw lenses and that lets Nikon out unless you want to use adapters with a lens for infinity, but that would degrade the quality.

You are so right and on the Nikon F series that can achieve that it is worth a lot of time, in the difficult situations of lighting and exposure it is worth so much more than any other film camera.(y)

Indeed... Meanwhile I appear to have purchased an F3 :bonk:

Indeed... Meanwhile I appear to have purchased an F3 :bonk:

On Apug they had a vote, F3 or F4 and the F4 was a massive winner. I'm Just the messenger as I'm not a Nikon expert to why. :shrug:

Last edited:
Can't argue with that! :D

I can, the F4 jumped from the camera's we love to the automated camera,s that you can just point it and shot it.

Well in the beginning I might have settled for Nikon if the lenses were cheap, but for me I like the fun of using screw lenses and that lets Nikon out unless you want to use adapters with a lens for infinity, but that would degrade the quality.

My Nikon thing started with my dad giving me his old Nikkormat and 50mm f1.4 about 20 years ago. Now I have a range of bodies and some great lenses from fisheye through to telephoto, though it's taken a long time to build up without breaking the bank!

-----------

As for the F4 v F3, the F4 is certainly appealing, and I've toyed with getting one a number of times, but it is a lot bulkier than the F3, and its automation takes away some of the pleasure that I get from the F3's wonderful wind-on mechanism, the sound of the shutter tripping, not to mention the beauty of the brassed corners...... Obviously the F4 has a lot of advantages technically: faster shutter speed, matrix metering, autofocus, much better flash capability etc. F3 is much more of a classic. Then of course, there's the F2......

If anyone has a pre-AI Nikon body and wants a 50mm f1.4 lens to use on it, this is an absolute steal:

http://www.ffordes.com/product/13051615172181

It's actually the latest pre-AI version which is identical to the AI version except for the aperture ring.

Can also be AI converted if you know how, making it usable on newer bodies.

If anyone has a pre-AI Nikon body and wants a 50mm f1.4 lens to use on it, this is an absolute steal:

http://www.ffordes.com/product/13051615172181

It's actually the latest pre-AI version which is identical to the AI version except for the aperture ring.

Can also be AI converted if you know how, making it usable on newer bodies.

Looks incredibly clean as well. This would actually appeal to the lower end Nikon DSLR users as well (you can mount pre-AI on bodies like the D3100, D3200).

Presumably you'd need to compose, step down and then shoot with the body on AP mode? Not sure I'd be able to focus well enough at 1.4... but its tempting. Though I'd need to get a film nikon to go with it.. NO stop there!!

Presumably you'd need to compose, step down and then shoot with the body on AP mode? Not sure I'd be able to focus well enough at 1.4... but its tempting. Though I'd need to get a film nikon to go with it.. NO stop there!!

There is no aperture communication with the camera at all, so most people guesstimate, take a shot, and then adjust after looking at the results. Some get along fine with this, but I've tried it and it's a bit more arduous than it needs to be, especially with lenses like the 35mm f/1.8 G around.

Yeah thats what I figured, a bit like using an old m42 camera. I had thought the computer might be able to figure out a shutter speed based on the light coming through the aperture once stopped down. I've got the 35mm 1.8 and love it, the 1.4 might be nice to play with but probably too hard to focus on a dslr.

Yeah thats what I figured, a bit like using an old m42 camera. I had thought the computer might be able to figure out a shutter speed based on the light coming through the aperture once stopped down. I've got the 35mm 1.8 and love it, the 1.4 might be nice to play with but probably too hard to focus on a dslr.

Yes, with the APS-C sized viewfinder and the pentamirror (rather than pentaprism) of the lower end Nikon DSLRs, it's not the easiest. Do-able, but only really worth it if you owned the glass already.

oh wait

you could throw the camera away and keep the lens.......good thinking Brian..(y)

And what are they doing at Apug, comparing F3's with F4's :shrug:

The F4 was the first camera to get smacked with the plastic ugly stick, and was the end of "pretty"

not very Interesting geek fact #114

The Mamiya 6 body cap does actually include a compartment containing spare battery's..

ahhhhhhh...:shrug:

Back