Bargains Thread

I can't find much about this or previous realistic sales but have just come across a Hasselblad 500 EL/M '20 Years in Space' edition which is white with a silver plaque for £250.

http://m.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/hasselblad-20-years-in-space-limited-edition/1065028455

Whilst most Hasselblad kit would be a bargain at £250, this is listed as non-working but thought someone might have some cash knocking about to take the risk :0)

(I'm not involved in this sale!)

Cheers
Steve

That looks like a 50mm lens on the Space 'blad and with the back should easily cover the asking price.

I really want it but I don't want a shelf camera. Decisions, decisions :(

Yeah, sorry about that ;0)

I did consider asking some questions myself but also wouldn't put it on a shelf so it's going to lose whatever value it has if I start shooting with it. Looks like the seller might be a house clearance trader so probably has no heritage details or other box etc

I may have been given a whole bag of developing / printing gear. 2 Easels, 2 contact jijs, trays, thermometers, timers. All I need is an enlarger and I am good...

Spotted a very good value Hasselblad on Ffordes for anyone on the hunt for one - £399 complete from a dealer is quite good. Not cheap enough to make money on of course (or I'd have snapped it up) but great for a user.

http://www.ffordes.com/product/14072216071131

There is a recent tv advert showing a woman taking a shot of her child using a blad....can't seem to find it on google, but it sure must confuse the young digital generation. :eek: :D

Spotted a very good value Hasselblad on Ffordes for anyone on the hunt for one - £399 complete from a dealer is quite good. Not cheap enough to make money on of course (or I'd have snapped it up) but great for a user.

http://www.ffordes.com/product/14072216071131

Seems a good deal but I don't understand why they're not putting the warranty on the back as "parts are no longer available" when that note doesn't appear on the backs they're selling separately.

Seems a good deal but I don't understand why they're not putting the warranty on the back as "parts are no longer available" when that note doesn't appear on the backs they're selling separately.
I expect it is because the back on the kit for sale is a C12 and the ones that they have advertised separately are the newer A12's.

For £450-500 (so only £50-£100 on top) I'd probably want something with the more reliable and much newer A12 back, and probably the 500CM as well.

Not sure if it's of any interest, but a local charity shop has a Canon power-winder with its case for a fiver? Seems to be a little less than the going rate on eBay - if anyone wants it, I can pick it up and post it at cost.

There is a recent tv advert showing a woman taking a shot of her child using a blad....can't seem to find it on google, but it sure must confuse the young digital generation. :eek: :D
It's an advert for Halifax Bank, I've just seen it.

Ah, the digital generation. Was quite amused the other day when showing my girlfriends 20 year old daughter some of the rather nice baby photos that I had taken of her daughter to be asked what those black things are? with her pointing to the strips of negatives.

When I told her it was a kinda wow & "Does that mean you can make more photographs then?" In no way different from an image file in that respect but I think it was holding the thing in her hand that the photo came from that impressed her.

Going to see if I can blow her mind with a roll of slide film :)

Last edited:
Ah, the digital generation. Was quite amused the other day when showing my girlfriends 20 year old daughter some of the rather nice baby photos that I had taken of her daughter to be asked what those black things are? with her pointing to the strips of negatives.

When I told her it was a kinda wow & "Does that mean you can make more photographs then?" In no way different from an image file in that respect but I think it was holding the thing in her hand that the photo came from that impressed her.

Going to see if I can blow her mind with a roll of slide film :)

I photographed a 5 day Cub Scout camp a few years ago, using a Pentax Spotmatic F, several lenses/emulsions and a Vivitar 285 flashgun. Shortly after the cubs noticed I was taking pictures they all asked to see them, and were very shocked/surprised when I said it wasn't possible to at the moment as I was shooting on film. Not a single one knew what film was, so I ended up having to describe the whole thing from film itself to processing etc (I unfortunately didn't have any negs with me to show them); some of them seemed quite interested. I then asked how they thought pictures were taken before digital came along (as they all knew it was quite recent) and their blank expressions were priceless - I don't think any of them had really thought about it ever!

They soon got used to the idea though, and I was able to capture some great spontaneous moments, especially as they were keen to finally see the pictures when I sent them off to the lab.

What was nice though was that I got the whole 3 rolls printed as 6x4's, put them all up on the board at the scout hut and offered re-prints them for sale (with a 20p mark-up from the reprint list prices to cover the postage costs - it wasn't a profit making intention). Quite a few cubs and their parents actually brought 2 or 3 or more reprints each, and said it was nice to be able to see what they had been doing at camp. Usually several people take digital snapshots on their cameras/phones, but they never get collated together or shared so they just sit forgotten and not seen.

Last edited:
I didn't think it would hang around for long at that price, it looked a real bargain.

Hope it was someone from here that got it! Come on folks, 'fess up!

Went in to Boots today, thinking I'd get some BW400CN using my points while there is still some stock around. They had 3 rolls, and 2 were expired 6/2014, so I took them to the manager and asked if I could get something off the price. She said the best she could do was a pound each, then put them through and the second came up half price, so two rolls for £1.50 isn't bad!

I did check the rest of their stock, including colour film, and most expiries are 2016. Might be worth a look though!

Just been browsing MWClassic and they have just added a great looking Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AIS lens for just £69. This lens often sells for around £200 - it's a gem. I'm almost tempted to buy it and stick it on ebay, as I don't really need it, but would be a great buy for one of the many Nikon manual focus fans on here, I'm sure, so I'll leave it for someone else.....

http://www.mwclassic.com/acatalog/SP071L.jpg

http://www.mwclassic.com/acatalog/O..._19th_September___Lenses___Accessories_4.html

Don't think it'll be there long at this price.

^ just saw that as well - the AIS has a fantastic reputation. Bear in mind that the MW Classic site is updated manually, so it may have sold even if it looks available on the website (you can actually check out completely even when it is sold).

n.b. they tend to go for closer to £100, so it's a very good price but not a steal IMO

Last edited:
I've got one and it's a cracker.

I had the same thought about their site actually, it's a bit antiquated as an ecommerce site, and it may have sold already. However it would still be worth a go if someone wanted it. As for prices, here are a the most recent ones on Ebay:

£249: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Nik...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item25956a3d53
£149: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Nik...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item1c45bc02f8
£93 (don't know why this one is less): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Nik...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item20eb6a9c6e
£165: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Nik...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item27ead52ff5
£255: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Nik...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item43ce1409a7

If I didn't already have the 24mm f2.8 and 35mm f1.4 Nikkors, and hadn't recently also sold my lovely 28mm f2 Nikkor to pare down my kit a bit, I would have been all over it myself...:LOL:

Point taken, although I find BIN listings tend to have a very odd pattern of pricing and stick to well described auctions.

As for updating - if the item sells whilst they are still in the office on Friday evening after listing but before they have left, then it'll be updated. If it's bought over the weekend, the website is usually updated on Monday.

When I've sold stuff on ebay recently I've tended to use BIN rather than auction, esp for rarer items that may not create much competition. You can also adjust prices downwards if they don't sell. Seems to get better prices IMO.

Sadly it looks like this was an uber-bargain and I missed out :0( The seller seems quite surprised that they sold an M3 with 3 lenses for £175 within 10 minutes of listing it!

"Camera sold with 3 extra lenses within 10 mins of add appearing!"

Normally I'd come to the same conclusion but that ebay seller is also selling the same Primare CD/Tuner/Amp and is based in Glasgow. The Press is £85 on Ebay with the higher price (I assume) covering charges. Whilst I agree that it's strange for someone to not spend 5 minutes on Ebay (especially as they appear to be an ebay seller), I think the camera was genuine although prior ownership may be 'unknown'..

I saw the listing for the Leica not long after it was posted and the brief research that I did leads me to believe that it is genuine. If I had any interest in Leicas or just any spare cash for investing in camera equipment, I would have jumped at it.

I asked the seller why he sold it so cheaply and got this reply a while ago;

"Got handed down lots of cameras ,all for nothing! So know nothing of them ,selling them cheap ,sold a 3g leica this morning and a pentax last week!"

:(

Back