BarrySprout's 52 for 2011 Week 33. Record

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone, this thread will hopefully build to my full 52 week project.
This is the first year which I have tried to complete a 52 although I have owned a DSLR for nearly two years now.
Hopefully I can look back in a years time and see some improvement in my photography.

My self imposed rules will be:
1. Photograph will be taken and posted within the week. And specifically taken for this project. (I will allow myself extra time for Holidays)
2. Only one Joker will be allowed
3. No peeking at other people's 52 until I have posted my photograph for any given theme
4. While all comments and critique will be taken onboard, I will leave the original shots as they are to give me a better chart of my progression or lack of.

Think that's all I will say for the moment, wish me luck.

Slideshow of shots so far on flickr

[post=3296630]1. Accommodation[/post]
[post=3310236]2.New[/post]
[post=3340344]3. Style[/post]
[post=3346188]4. Open[/post]
[post=3348363]4. Open re-edit[/post]
[post=3382866]5. Hard[/post]
[post=3386681]1. Accommodation re-visited[/post]
[post=3389627]6. Clutter[/post]
[post=3413402]7. Delicate[/post]
[post=3459505]8. Chaos[/post]
[post=3468012]9. Finish[/post]
[post=3473988]10. Trio[/post]
[post=3494246]11. Reshoot of Trio and Knowledge[/post]
[post=3531220]12. Moderation :cautious:[/post]
[post=3553753]13. Empty[/post] [post=3577696]13. Empty Reshoot[/post]
[post=3558956]14. Object[/post] [post=3569824]14. Object outcome[/post] [post=3577821]14. Object put to rest[/post]
[post=3592191]15. Wrong[/post]
[post=3607204]16. Paradox & Reshoot[/post]
[post=3621076]17. Tropical[/post]
[post=3622187]17. Tropical for real[/post]
[post=3648242]18. Power[/post]
[post=3662982]19. Divided[/post]
[post=3677417]20. Promise[/post]
[post=3710422]21. Twisted[/post]
[post=3729995]22. Hidden[/post]
[post=3746439]23. Broken[/post]
[post=3761475]24. Bright[/post]
[post=3794388]25. Rescue[/post]
[post=3848039]26. Sensual[/post]
[post=3848051]27. Elaborate[/post]
[post=3848067]28. Celebrate[/post]
[post=3857168]29. Smell[/post]
[post=3910682]30. Weird[/post]
[post=3910682]31. Wind[/post]
[post=3924799]32. Evolution[/post]
[post=3951289]33. Record[/post]

Last edited:
Here is my first shot for the 52. I've been playing around with Snail shells all week trying to get a shot I was happy with. After a few different ideas and failed attempts I was down to the last day of the week. It snowed last night so this gave me a chance to have one last go with a slightly different look. Shot was taken half an hour ago, slight edit and uploaded.

Accommodation

Accommodation by barrysprout, on Flickr​

He he fab idea Colin, :clap: its a little small in in the frame, but a great idea,love the sign, I would like to see it closer as theres quite a lot of wasted space at the top of the image, and would benifit from loosing at least half to 2/3rds off the top

Last edited:
Hiya Colin,

Well done on your take of the first theme, great idea and love the little 'For Sale' sign :D, but I think you have put the wrong number because I tried to phone to express and interest in purchasing the accommodation :LOL:

I love the setup and DOF, but am a blinded by the brightness of the top half of the image and think it may benefit from cropping that out.

Overall I like the idea and humour.

Good luck with the rest of the 52.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thanks for the quick responses. The reason I have left the image as is with the top part is that it shows a house. Obvious to me because I know but perhaps lost in my use of DOF. The over exposed sky was really the only thing I edited apart from a white balance correction. It may still be a distraction but it's a lot better than it was.
The other shots I took without the sky and closer just didn't do it for me.
That all sounds really defensive, but those are my reasons behind the shot and I appreciate your feedback. Thanks

I like the humour here. I also find the burnt out sky a distraction in this particular shot, but I'm not adverse to a bit of rule bending so in another shot it may have worked. I think it is the balance of the sky to the snail shell that is problematic.

Thanks David and Patrick. All comments and critique welcome. I have edited my rules to say that while all comments will be taken note of I will leave my original shots as they are so that I can look back properly.
I may at times re-edit and post additional shots but not this week.

Haha! brilliant idea! I thought of a snail for this week, but in situ. Yours though, is a cracking idea and very funny and thought out. Agreed about the burnt out top - perhaps something a little more in focus would have worked?! :shrug:

This is a great take on week 1's theme.

Probably get about £1000 per week in London for the rent. Lol

(y)

Thanks for the comments Kris and Steve (y)

On to week two. Biggest problem this week was too many ideas :D bet this is the only week out of 52 that I will complain about that. Settled on one of my subtler ideas.
Camera was on tripod using Tamron 17-50 at 33mm off camera flash diffused and bounced.

New by barrysprout, on Flickr​

Hiya Colin,

Great taste in music (y) Love New Order, and if I am not mistaken, albums are from top to bottom, Blue Monday; Power, Corruption & Lies; Temptation?

I like the way you have displayed the album covers and and the angle at which you have taken the shot.

Well done and a great take on the theme. A similar thought had crossed my mind :LOL:

Look forward to seeing your photo for the next theme.

Cheers

Thanks Dawn, I new that hoarding vinyl for years would be worthwhile. Now just need to find a use for my Pinky and Perky christmas album.
Oh and yes you are correct with titles but I have to be pedantic and say Blue monday and Temptation are 12" singles

Last edited:
I was just going to ask what this was but I am glad Dawn knew :D

A bit before my time maybe?? :)

Nice shot ;)

Thanks Dawn, I new that hoarding vinyl for years would be worthwhile. Now just need to find a use for my Pinky and Perky christmas album.
Oh and yes you are correct with titles but I have to be pedantic and say Blue monday and Temptation are 12" singles

I have quite a collection of vinyl too, and love listenting to them still. Some of the covers are fantastic works of art. My apologies, incorrect use of word 'album'. I thought the Blue Monday and Temptions were 12" singles, but didn't think anyone would notice my choice of word, well spotted :p

I can think of some uses for your Pinky and Perky Christmas album .... :LOL:

Cheers

I didn't get it at first... :p then it clicked..

I think I may have stumbled on a plan for the next 50 weeks. Just need to find 50 more things that people really like. That way I can get away with poorer shots and still get positive comments. ;)

The weeks are flying past! Struggled a bit this week, in fact I lost hair over it. Mrs Sprout had to help with inspiration. Not too happy with the execution of this either but I'm running out of time so here it is.
Looked really dull to start with so I painstakingly placed very small silvery hairs (which I dyed individually) throughout just to brighten it slightly.:)

Hairstyle by barrysprout, on Flickr​

Hi Barry

All three of your takes on the theme are so imaginative :clap: I especially like Week 1

Only just found your thread :bonk:

Love the 1st week shot ,great idea .Do agree with the other comments on the bright bits though .
Novel take on the style shot ,like it (y)

Wow, how ashamed am I of the thought and effort you've out into these.

#1 is really fantastic, really, really fantastic.

#2, like the symmetry and, well, just amazing band!

#3,
Mrs Sprout had to help with inspiration. Not too happy with the execution of this either but I'm running out of time so here it is.

Funny as hell! I won't ask where the hair came from...:exit:

Hi Colin,

Well done, a great take on the theme, even though you had to lose some hair over it :LOL:

As for the very small silvery hairs, which you say you dyed individually, are you not just making excuses for the effects this Photo52 is having on you, although I must say they do brighten up the image :D

Look forward to what you come up with next week, and what you have to lose to achieve the image :eek:

Cheers

Thanks again folks for the words of encouragement.
On to week 4.
Had to get this one in quick this week. So here we have "open"
105mm macro lens and a nifty fifty reversed on the front, two images stacked.

Open by barrysprout, on Flickr​

Hiya Colin,

OOOOO! I like that very much :)

Great take on the theme and very sharp. Did you have to do a bit of retouching in the bottom right inside of the O near the nib?

Excellent take on the theme, I really like this creative thinking.

Cheers

Thanks Dawn, it's not retouching as such just badly stacked. If I get a chance later in the week I will definately redo this one. Just wanted to make sure I got something in if I ran out of time.

Very quick off the mark! Great way to start off the week, with a very well implemented macro shot. :)

I really like the image... and all your others... but dont get how it says "open"

I really like the image... and all your others... but dont get how it says "open"

look at it again and say whats in the image !!

great thinking and great image hope you get time to restack it

Last edited:
Colin, really liking your shots and like your way of thinking. #1 is my fav so far, lovely depth of field. I am interested why you stacked 2 images for #4, was it because DOF was so shallow, so you had to have 2 images, one for the focus on the paper and and one for the focus on the pen?

Thanks everone, hoping to get a chance to redo later this morning.
@ Ray, yes the DOF using the macro lens is bad enough but with the 50mm reversed on the front it becomes paper thin.

... but dont get how it says "open"
Thanks for that Mark, it's the reaction I was hoping for. I'm sure I would have gotten it from a few more if it hadn't have been for that pesky Roy Walker.

Last edited:
That's a stunning macro, the detail is amazing. How did you focus that - handheld, tripod?
The second version is a lot better and has a nice natural look. The second version has corrected most of the issues I noticed in the first one.

Well done(y)

Back