BarrySprout's 52 for 2011 Week 33. Record

Thanks everone, hoping to get a chance to redo later this morning.
@ Ray, yes the DOF using the macro lens is bad enough but with the 50mm reversed on the front it becomes paper thin.

Thanks for that Mark, it's the reaction I was hoping for. I'm sure I would have gotten it from a few more if it hadn't have been for that pesky Roy Walker.

oops sorry :bonk:

bobsbabes said:
oops sorry :bonk:

sorry if that sounded like a dig at you, it wasn't.

@Patrick, Camera was on tripod, manual focus and cable release.

Last edited:
Hi ya Colin

must confess It's taken ages for the penny to drop on your photo....very clever take on the theme & great shot .Really great DOF & good thinking (y)

Fabulous macro - what does that X up to? I mean by reversing the 50mm

The re-edit on Open is a good shot. I was going to make a few comments on the original, but you have corrected them in the re-edit. Clever idea.

Hiya Colin,

Well done on the edit, it looks fab now, and I like the new frame too.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Yes good one Colin..you nailed that one good shot well done;)

Hi ya Colin

must confess It's taken ages for the penny to drop on your photo....very clever take on the theme & great shot .Really great DOF & good thinking (y)

Thanks very much Lynne, hopefully my photography will improve during this project and I won't have to rely so much on my slightly quirky thought process.

Fabulous macro - what does that X up to? I mean by reversing the 50mm

You just asked that to make me look foolish didn't you? In other words I have no idea, and not only that but I have no idea how to begin to figure it out. :shrug:

The re-edit on Open is a good shot. I was going to make a few comments on the original, but you have corrected them in the re-edit. Clever idea.

Hiya Colin,

Well done on the edit, it looks fab now, and I like the new frame too.

Cheers

Yes good one Colin..you nailed that one good shot well done;)

Many thanks for the kind words and encouragement. (y)

So the weather has conspired against me and I didn't get out for the shot I had planned. However I know that I will be able to slot the location in later in the year so no great loss.
Again I had quite a few ideas again this week but held off until tonight to take my shot, which turned out to be a completely different idea from any others I had.

So here it is, Week 5 - Hard

Hard by barrysprout, on Flickr​

Shot at f8 iso100 for 8 seconds, handheld :LOL:

Tried numerous lighting options but none of them gave me quite what I was looking for so went for the longer exposure.
I pretty much always shoot at iso100 so didn't think to change it until I was typing this :nuts: Should I have?

Some great shots there mate, love week1. Week2 is excellent as im a massive New Order fan myself (y)

Week5 is a great take on the idea, how did you get it so sharp with an 8sec handheld shot!!

Your really having a good "52" I will keep watching.
Allan.

hewhoknows said:
Some great shots there mate, love week1. Week2 is excellent as im a massive New Order fan myself (y)

Week5 is a great take on the idea, how did you get it so sharp with an 8sec handheld shot!!

I may have lied slightly about the handheld part. And when I say slightly I mean completely.

Some fun shots in your 52.

I'm glad you did the O pen again (nice take on the theme, and I didn't get it straight off either!) as the PP looked odd in the first.
Style was a good one - your hair?

But for me, 'Accommodation' is the winner to date.
I love it, but I agree with one of the other posts, the top of the image is too distracting.

Lovely and sharp - like the comedy feel about it.

Simon

Hiya Colin,

Great take on the theme and I love the little openers - really made me chuckle :LOL:

I was also thinking that is pretty goot for an 8sec handheld, and then I noticed your later reply :D

Well done :clap:

Cheers

Some fun shots in your 52.

I'm glad you did the O pen again (nice take on the theme, and I didn't get it straight off either!) as the PP looked odd in the first.
Style was a good one - your hair?

But for me, 'Accommodation' is the winner to date.
I love it, but I agree with one of the other posts, the top of the image is too distracting.

Many thanks and see below for week 1

oooh like it:)

love the opener, and also really steady for a hand held 8sec!!

Tripods are for wimps (and liars like me)

Lovely and sharp - like the comedy feel about it.

Simon
Thanks Simon

nice idea :) looks like how my drives normally end up :) Well shot and nice and sharp :)

And would you believe it still works?

Hiya Colin,

Great take on the theme and I love the little openers - really made me chuckle :LOL:

I was also thinking that is pretty goot for an 8sec handheld, and then I noticed your later reply :D

Well done :clap:

Cheers

Thanks again Dawn, I'll hopefully make more use of my little friends at a later date.

on week 5 love this great idea and thouroughly well executed top job

Thankyou very much.

OK due to continued public pressure over my week 1 picture I have revisited my 20110108 folder to see what would appease you all. Didn't want to just crop the top off the original shot as it was taken that way on purpose and I stand by that decision :razz: So found this one to play with instead.
IMG_0889ow.jpg
Obviously i had my work cut out to try and salvage an image. But after some exposure tweaking, brightening and cloning I came up with this.
IMG_0889w.jpg

What do you think? I still prefer my first shot, and I know how petulant I must sound by now. I'm not, honest! It's all down to personal taste and I appreciate everyones feedback. I have warmed the image quite a lot, same as I did with the original which I'm surprised nobody mentioned. The original colours and WB would have allowed me to use this in week 5 for "Hard" winter.

Hiya Colin,

How kind of you to revisit Week 1 for us :p and what an improvement. Now I can see the warmth you applied to it as I am now not blinded by the light. Really like this one now.

So I take it there has been no interest in the sale of the accommodation yet .... well with the improved image I think the owner might just get some viewings :D

Quite apt too that you revisited this as the Hard theme, as you said it would fit the theme well too.

Thanks for sharing this edit with us.

Cheers

I like the edited version of week 1 and I also like your other themed shots. This weeks "hard" theme is very good.

I'm on your side Mr Sprout :) Prefer the first Accomodation shot (y)

Hard is a well taken photo, but dosen't do anything for me I'm afraid :shrug:

Thanks for the vote for the original week 1 Sarah, much appreciated. And fair comment on week 5.

On to week 6. Not really feeling great about this weeks theme. It's depressingly easy to find subject matter and even more depressing to have to tidy up to take the shot.

Harder to avoid being literal for me this week but have tried to keep a bit of humour to the shot.

Clutter by barrysprout, on Flickr​

There is a 17" CRT monitor under the desk which is peaking into shot and I thought about cloning it out, but it's clutter so I left it there. Also drawing attention to it because it needs a home, anyone want a free monitor?

Hiya Colin,

Great photo for the theme and also like the way you have included subjects from your previous weeks. I see the Week 1's have moved in with you now, does that mean they have finally sold up :LOL:

This is turning out to be an interesting week, as we get to have a nosey at some of the clutter we all keep.

You have done well with lighting and composition for this image.

Now you can sit back and relax for the rest of the week.

Cheers

yes Colin that is a very organised clutter :D well done good image nicely exposed good one well done (y)

Colin... Great clutter pic... but get that camera and lens away in a proper padded bag... out of the dust!!!!

I dont believe all that stuff lives in that drawer! How do you shut it?

Great pic... well exposed!

Mark

Don't nag me Mark that's Mrs Sprouts camera. I'll pass the message on though. Oh and WHAT DUST? ;)

Last edited:
Dear lord your cluttery desk is neater than my normal desk :eek: and far more photgenic!

Thanks everyone. And please note Andy that those are 3 snail shells. My 3 seashells never leave the bathroom.

Barry,
Great idea for a shot, and I think there is also another photo in there! A tight crop on the left hand side of the pedestal all the way up to the mouse, then across to the right. You would need to move the mouse down in PS. But then you would have beach coloured empty space around the open draw, with the shells and mouse as added interest, framing the clutter of the draw contents. It is a shame the corner of the draw is chopped.

Anyway, just an idea :)

Adie

Something a bit different for me this week. Had plenty of ideas again this week and was impressed with the speed that everyone was getting them in this week. Haven't looked at any yet, as per my self imposed rules. Hopefully my idea is sufficiently different.
Tried my hand at product photography this week. Something i haven't tried before. Most of my efforts went into lighting, not that there is anything complicated about the lighting. I knew exactly the look I wanted, and researched how to get it because I hadn't a clue. Worthwhile exercise as I think my understanding of lighting has improved.
Pleased with my results but very interested in feedback. Can't promise a reshoot as I would now need to make fake whisky or visit the shop again, but would be interested in feedback all the same which will be taken onboard.

Back