Bathroom Scales reading...

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I know there are 14lbs in a stone, so I wonder why my bathroom scales can read, 13st and 12st 14lb and 11st and 10st 14lb and so on.
When I have been 12st and cut down on my food and done loads of exercise, I have gone down to 11st and 14lbs. So, did I lose anything or am I the same weight? :thinking:

I know there are 14lbs in a stone, so I wonder why my bathroom scales can read, 13st and 12st 14lb and 11st and 10st 14lb and so on.
When I have been 12st and cut down on my food and done loads of exercise, I have gone down to 11st and 14lbs. So, did I lose anything or am I the same weight? :thinking:
It's likely rounding up or down. Possibly also someone programmed it to be encouraging.

Kilos, There`s a whole Generation of us Oldies out here that fails to understand those foreign Measurements.!!

and whats Degree C, Metre and mm, etc

Reactions: Sky
Shouldn't even still be selling instruments that use those foreign measurements :)
Kilos, There`s a whole Generation of us Oldies out here that fails to understand those foreign Measurements.!!

Are you the guys who refer to their "nifty fifty" lenses as 1.9685 inches? o_O ;)

It's likely rounding up or down. Possibly also someone programmed it to be encouraging.

But it can read 10st 10lb 1/4 so not rounding it to the nearest pound.

PS

I know it is no big deal, but it is just silly the way it can read both 10st 14lb and 11 stone.

Although 10st 14lb does look better than 11 stone. :)

Oh by the way, the grand kids who are in their twenties told us the other day, a mate of theirs had a baby. The youngsters quoted the baby's weight in lbs :thinking:

It's letting you know you have lost body fat, but gained muscle. ;)

If I am 11 stone and three pounds at night, I can be 11 stone in the morning. This is after a have been to the bathroom, but before breakfast. Most of us are lighter in the morning. I always get weighed at the same time of the morning, this is to keep things consistent. :)

I have a set of talking scales and this morning they said; 'one person at a time please'. :whistle:
I only weigh myself in the gym, one of the instructors in there has a habit of putting one foot on the scales as well. He does it so often, I have come to expect it.
Last time he did it I congratulated him on having lost weight. :)

And kms, litres, l/100kms or kms/l...I'm in my late 60s and it's a pain in the neck converting arcane UK measurements into sensible metric ones. At least LSD (the monetary system!) got binned...:)

The metric system is easier as it's all 'decimal'. However, I still can't 'picture' any dimensions in it and even after fifty years of it, I still have to convert to metric in my head.

Who'd ever believe half a pint of beer would cost over fifty bob? :eek:

Are you the guys who refer to their "nifty fifty" lenses as 1.9685 inches? o_O ;)

A fifty mm lens is rarely 50mm, they are anything between +- 2mm when you measure them. The Fifty is nominal. In the same way a 2 inch lens was.

In a job I started in in 1991 it had an 'industry' standard unit of "400ft x 1inch" then that became "122M x 1inch" and eventually SqM......................each stage of change required a conversion formula and oh boy did it do my head in :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The eventual adoption of SqM made life overall so much easier :)

I am always impressed seeing American wood workers working in 1/64" Some things are actually easier in imperial.

Like print measures were based on 1/72" which is divisible so many ways as a whole numbers. 2, 3, 4, 6 ,8 ,9 ,12. 18, 36

Who'd ever believe half a pint of beer would cost over fifty bob? :eek:
You can buy beer in half pints!!! When my glass gets down to half I ordered another pint, just in case the staff are busy when it gets to empty.

Reactions: Sky
I started my toolbox collection in the 70s, and I loved my little collection of 3/4 and 7/16 and also 3/8 etc etc sockets and spanners. It took me years to master the art of looking at a nut, and knowing it was a 7/16 or half inch etc. Still getting to know what a metric nut is at sight, I still think in old spanners. :oops: :$

I am always impressed seeing American wood workers working in 1/64" Some things are actually easier in imperial.

Like print measures were based on 1/72" which is divisible so many ways as a whole numbers. 2, 3, 4, 6 ,8 ,9 ,12. 18, 36

You know what's really messed up is the US foot is actually based on metric values:

In 1893, the U.S. government defined a foot as 1,200 meters divided by 3,937. Plug those numbers into a calculator and you get 0.3048006 meters. Those last three digits (and it goes on even longer if you want to be technical) are important. Don’t forget them.

In 1933, the international foot was invented. It was simpler: 0.3048 meters, exactly. Those last three digits just get eliminated.

I use a combination of both metric and imperial depending on what the category of measurement is.
For instance
My cars fuel consumption - Imperial
Car speed - Imperial
My weight - both Metric and Imperial
Car engine size - Metric
Large distances - Metric
Small measurements - Metric
Someone's height - Imperial
Weights in the gym, - Metric but I will convert it to Imperial in my head
Milk - Imperial.
Food weight - Metric.

You know what's really messed up is the US foot is actually based on metric values:

In 1893, the U.S. government defined a foot as 1,200 meters divided by 3,937. Plug those numbers into a calculator and you get 0.3048006 meters. Those last three digits (and it goes on even longer if you want to be technical) are important. Don’t forget them.

In 1933, the international foot was invented. It was simpler: 0.3048 meters, exactly. Those last three digits just get eliminated.
The USA still uses a different length of "foot " for survey work as it does for engineering.
There must have been some one like Trump making that decision.

The USA still uses a different length of "foot " for survey work as it does for engineering.
There must have been some one like Trump making that decision.
The American gallon is smaller than the imperial gallon making their cars appear to be less economical than they are.
Also the Americans use MON rather than RON for their petrol (gasoline) ratings which looks like they use weaker fuel, but their 93 MON , is the premium super unleaded and the equivalent of our premium fuels which range from 97 to 99RON. Their 91 MON is the equivalent of our 95 RON.

Back