Battey grip for 350D

Edit My Images
No
I am thinking of getting one but I can't make my mind up how useful they really are. Is it enough to justify the price above other items I want at the moment such as ext tubes?

What do you guys think?

Would you say the battery grip is:

A) A luxury
B) A must
C) Can't live without one...why are you messing about?

Oh and considering it holds a battery that you would have been carrying anyway how much extra weight is it?

Ta

Well, how small do you find the 350D in your hand ? If its a bit small and uncomfortable you NEED the battery grip ! if you can live with it and its not a problem, you dont ! :)

Personally i have the grip on my 20d and couldnt live without it now !

Yes the battery grip takes some getting used to but with the small 350d i believe it is a godsend.
You can get third party makes too which are just as good and a fraction of the price.

Have to agree the 350D is way too small for my hands so a battery grip is essential.

Once you have used a battery grip you will never take it off.

So i say C) time to get the plastic out....:D

Definately "C"

I haven't taken mine off since i got it. It balances the weight of the camera nicely.

The extra controls are also useful when using the camera in portrait mode, plus it hold two batteries giving you a longer usage time, and you get an emergency AA battery pack holder as well.

Go for it.
I got mine from Komplett at the end of last year, cheapest place I found for it, even the second hand ones on fleabay where going for more than this. It's the official canon grip as well, not the aftermarket one.

EDIT: Actually they are not the cheapest anymore linky

Tony

Let me start by bucking the trend. Even though I have big mits, I don't find the 350D that uncomfortable to hold without the grip, but I got one any way. I plumbed for one of the copy grips, a lot cheaper than Canon but not without its own minor problems. The batteries have to be swapped over when one is exhausted and the portrait buttons arnt the best for reliable operation. However, as my mits are so big the buttons arnt an issue and I tend to use it with a pack of 2500 ma AA NiMhi batteries so no problems there.

Personally I don't see the grip as a 'must' and quite often remove it when I just want to go for a walk with me camera and one lens. This way it feels far less noticeable. So for me it's more a fun bolt on than a critical item.

I know its a different kettle of fish, but the grip for my D50 only holds batteries, it doesnt extend the camera controls at all. But since fitting it, I have never wanted to remove it. It makes the camera feel more solid and gives it a far better feel. But as said, if you are happy with the feel already, no need for a grip.

Although in fairness i was happy with the feel, and bought the grip as an impulse buy, but loved it!

Woodsy

Definately "C"

I haven't taken mine off since i got it. It balances the weight of the camera nicely.

The extra controls are also useful when using the camera in portrait mode, plus it hold two batteries giving you a longer usage time, and you get an emergency AA battery pack holder as well.

Go for it.
Tony
:agree:

Both my wife and I agree that whilst technically it is a luxury, since the camera will function perfectly well without it it is a very nice luxury. In our opinion the camera feels more balanced when using heavier/longer lenses and feels less awkward when shooting in portrait aspect. Definitely worth the money

I have been pondering these too - think I need to find someone at the Liverpool meet with one on a 350d and have a feel :) I have fairly big hands, and dont find the 350 too small at all - quite like its lightness too....so I dunno, Will be interested what you think if you buy one :)

Remember the grip not only gives the camera more bulk which alot of people find improves comfort and balance with heavier lenses, it also makes the camera more adaptable for portraits shots as the shutter buttons and aperture wheel are repeated on the bottom corner.

Another benefit that isnt mentioned so often is that it will allow you to hold a second battery improving battery life, but more importantly it also allows you to use 6 x AA batteries as a backup.

Personally I would say its a must, particularly with the cost of the third party ones that I've seen people recommend on here - and if not required you can remove it in seconds.

(y)

I do recomend a battery grip i certainly find it very useful. it doesn't weigh a great deal. However if you dont want to spend a lot of money i would recommend buying off ebay, i got mine there, brand new for £40 and i have really enjoyed using it.

As said by most above, I got my 350d never having had an SLR before and I thought it felt great in my hands, contry (SP) to what the right ups said about size. But as as I put the grip on it felt even better, doesn't make much difference to the weight (only an extra battery and a bit of plastic) It gives you extra controls which help when shooting portrait, It doubles your battery life + you've the back up AAA jobby too. Finally when using heavier lenses it balances them up quite well too, basically just get one.....you won't regret it, shop round and see what you can find. (y)

I was thinking of getting one for my 400D. Can those people that have one tell me if they come with the batteries?

Not the Canon version, no (which I'd recommend over third party). I believe the Hahnel option does - but worth checking on-line.

As said - no batteries included.

What you do get is the grip (obviously) and two magazines, one which is used to hold 2 x NB2LH batteries, and another which can hold 6 x AA batteries.

Well, I had one bought for me for a birthday present, I wasnt too sure about it, kept it on for two or three weeks, took it off to see how it felt and put it straight back on again. The camera just seemed to shrink beyond use. It is a copy, I've had no problems with it and the portrait buttons are really handy. I wouldnt be without it now.

I've been thinking of getting this and after seeing how everyone loves it..I've now just ordered it :D

I had one on my 300d, i still have one on my 20d

with a heavy lens fitted it makes the body easier to hold as you can wrap all your fingers round the body.

You get double the battery life if you add the 2nd battery

portrait orientation is improved and your camera suddenly takes on the appearence of a much more expensive item ;)

It's no luxury......it's a no brainer :D

I've just recieved mine..and wow!!!!
Even with my tiny hands it feels so much more balanced and my fingers dont tremble now when i press the shutter..oh poo,need to buy another battery :bonk:

I've just bought one from AJ Purdy. They are doing them for £69 including delivery!

Isnt that £89?

Oddly if you go through the menus to find it, it is £89 but if you put BG-E3 into the search box at the top of the home page it brings up a list of accessories and about half way down the page they have it for £69 ;).

I have one on both the 350D and my 20D and I can assure you that when I get my 5D/6D/5D Mk II N or whatever I will also get it with a grip.

Some would see it as a luxury..... until you own one.(y)

Back