BBC Panorama Tonight.

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Panorama is on BBC1 tonight at 8.30. It might be enlightening. 'Amazon-What they know about us' I'd have thought just card details, what we buy and what we browse..so, in effect, our interests. I can't think what else but maybe after the programme I'll have a better idea.

My guess is -

If you just buy stuff off Amazon - your browsing history and key interest areas.

If you access Amazon on a smartphone - everything on your phone and your movements.

If you have one of those smart speaker thingies - everything.

I won't be watching, so tell me later how very wrong I am.

(y)

I said to the OH that Alexa was listening in, she said don't be silly, and laughed, then the kids laughed..
Finally Alexa laughed....

Many a true word spoken in jest eh?

My guess is -

If you just buy stuff off Amazon - your browsing history and key interest areas.

If you access Amazon on a smartphone - everything on your phone and your movements.

I won't be watching, so tell me later how very wrong I am.

(y)

I buy a lot, but agree with the above.

How can a bunch of natives that live in the jungle know anything about me ?

Panorama is on BBC1 tonight at 8.30. It might be enlightening. 'Amazon-What they know about us' I'd have thought just card details, what we buy and what we browse..so, in effect, our interests. I can't think what else but maybe after the programme I'll have a better idea.
It was reported last week that Amazon sell all the stuff they know about you to others (maybe they buy info from those others too, I dunno) so no doubt that can be connected up by the data aggregating firms until they know “everything” about you. The good news, I think, as that all this connecting up is not easy to do accurately. Don’t forget that HMG is selling all youmedical reordsto US companies — they have to ‘promise’ not to sell it on :(.

Don’t forget that HMG is selling all youmedical reordsto US companies — they have to ‘promise’ not to sell it on :(.
Doubt they would get much for mine. I don't think I have been to the doctor more than twice in 40yrs and have only been to a hospital for myself once in all that time too.

Haven't google been doing this for years as well :thinking:

Doubt they would get much for mine. I don't think I have been to the doctor more than twice in 40yrs and have only been to a hospital for myself once in all that time too.
But you will, you will ;) and maybe you have family members etc which will all connect up.

Last edited:
Haven't google been doing this for years as well :thinking:
Indeed, but the more and different sources (Google, Amazon, medical records etc) the more you can get from the information. A bit like triangulation maybe.

I said to the OH that Alexa was listening in, she said don't be silly, and laughed, then the kids laughed..
Finally Alexa laughed....

Many a true word spoken in jest eh?

Yes, agree with that. You will probably recall the thread about Alexa that I started. It had a good response and some contributors dismissed the anecdotal evidence that..eg..a couple had a chat about where to go on holiday,the next thing is that their Email/iPhone etc was receiving ads re holidays. I recall one suggesting that those that were concerned about it were paranoid. In the Panorama programme insiders were saying that if they were going to have a conversation that they would want to be kept private then off goes Alexa.

Does it really matter what they know? How would knowing everything about us make our lives more difficult? IMO it would only make it easier as they can target what we like/need.

How would knowing everything about us make our lives more difficult?
I think that stalking is still an offence?
Not all stalking leads to harm, but if someone was following me about listening to everything I say ( for my own good? ) sitting in my house taking notes they'd
get the wrong end of me.

IMO it would only make it easier as they can target what we like/need.
Yeah rather like the Double glazing salesman knocking on the door telling me I need their product.
Or the travelling types that had been working on the M-Way and had a ton of tarmac left, insisting that my drive needs redoing.
They all get / got the same answer which was generally f*** off.

I know what I want and will source the best err source for that product.
I did it before the internet and I still do it today ..

I think that stalking is still an offence?
Not all stalking leads to harm, but if someone was following me about listening to everything I say ( for my own good? ) sitting in my house taking notes they'd
get the wrong end of me.

Yeah rather like the Double glazing salesman knocking on the door telling me I need their product.
Or the travelling types that had been working on the M-Way and had a ton of tarmac left, insisting that my drive needs redoing.
They all get / got the same answer which was generally f*** off.

I know what I want and will source the best err source for that product.
I did it before the internet and I still do it today ..
Yes. I already feel “stalked” by them. You read about some product, maybe here, and look it up to understand it better, no interest in buying and then for the next several days you get ads for it on every page you land on. It’s at lest a bit annoying but also a bit unnerving :(.

Does it really matter what they know? How would knowing everything about us make our lives more difficult? IMO it would only make it easier as they can target what we like/need.

Someone suggested that back in the Alexa thread,maybe yourself, and it was pointed out that it wasn't so much what they knew because,as you say..who cares (well many do,actually) whether an organisation knows you enjoy scuba diving , model aircraft building/flying, home cooking,going to the theatre..whatever as the fact that they were being monitored or spied on. Someone questioned the use of the term 'spied on' saying it was emotive and then, I'm sure it was Cobra who came back with, " if it's not spying what is it ? " No point in resurrecting all those arguments but there's another issue.Data appropriation and without compensation/payment, call it what you will. Company A gathers data on you and here's the rub..,sells it. It's a very lucrative activity. In that Panorama programme about Amazon they pointed out that what made Jeff Bezos stand apart from others and become so successful was his recognition that the most valuable asset was personal data. You are,infact being exploited. Whether that is of concern to someone is a different issue. Seems there's a trade off between having personal data collected and convenience which is a point you made..ie targeted sales. ads. Basically,it's a moral issue and until it's classed as theft and can be dealt with by law then it's status quo.

Perhaps the answer lies inbetweeen. Regulation, not on what data is collected but the use of it.

The 2018 GDPR EU legislation applies to the whole of Europe,I assume whether a country is a member of the EU or not ..that's my understanding and it's an ongoing project.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/what-is-gdpr-uk-eu-legislation-compliance-summary-fines-2018

Mark Zuckerberg's response
https://thenextweb.com/facebook/201...on-users-from-europes-data-privacy-standards/

Yes, agree with that. You will probably recall the thread about Alexa that I started. It had a good response and some contributors dismissed the anecdotal evidence that..eg..a couple had a chat about where to go on holiday,the next thing is that their Email/iPhone etc was receiving ads re holidays. I recall one suggesting that those that were concerned about it were paranoid. In the Panorama programme insiders were saying that if they were going to have a conversation that they would want to be kept private then off goes Alexa.
Thats the thing about anecdotal evidence, its like...well...anecdotal.

I was writing my post as Cobra was posting and hadn't seen it until just this sec as IO've posted mine so I think I was right in recalling that it was Cobra that made the point re 'spying' in the Alexa thread.

Thats the thing about anecdotal evidence, its like...well...anecdotal.

Yes.. but wasn't it exposed that staff who monitor Alexa were listening and laughing at conversations picked up ? I've just checked and that is the case.Some were adversely affected by what they heard..an example was hearing what he/she believed to be a sexual assault taking place. It's in this article
https://time.com/5568815/amazon-workers-listen-to-alexa/

Someone suggested that back in the Alexa thread,maybe yourself, and it was pointed out that it wasn't so much what they knew because,as you say..who cares (well many do,actually) whether an organisation knows you enjoy scuba diving , model aircraft building/flying, home cooking,going to the theatre..whatever as the fact that they were being monitored or spied on. Someone questioned the use of the term 'spied on' saying it was emotive and then, I'm sure it was Cobra who came back with, " if it's not spying what is it ? " No point in resurrecting all those arguments but there's another issue.Data appropriation and without compensation/payment, call it what you will. Company A gathers data on you and here's the rub..,sells it. It's a very lucrative activity. In that Panorama programme about Amazon they pointed out that what made Jeff Bezos stand apart from others and become so successful was his recognition that the most valuable asset was personal data. You are,infact being exploited. Whether that is of concern to someone is a different issue. Seems there's a trade off between having personal data collected and convenience which is a point you made..ie targeted sales. ads. Basically,it's a moral issue and until it's classed as theft and can be dealt with by law then it's status quo.

Perhaps the answer lies inbetweeen. Regulation, not on what data is collected but the use of it.

The 2018 GDPR EU legislation applies to the whole of Europe,I assume whether a country is a member of the EU or not ..that's my understanding and it's an ongoing project.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/what-is-gdpr-uk-eu-legislation-compliance-summary-fines-2018

Mark Zuckerberg's response
https://thenextweb.com/facebook/201...on-users-from-europes-data-privacy-standards/
That’s the point, the law says it’s your data and they have a duty of care with it. GDPR applies to anyone anywhere who store data of EU citizen, though good luck with enforcing it if you don’t do business with/in the EU. It doesn’t protect U.K. any more but U.K. has to obey it.
I expect you’ve all received an email today, as I did, from Google saying your data will now be stored in USA instead of Ireland now we’ve left EU. Well, that’s all right then, we’ve taken back control :(.

.Some were adversely affected by what they heard..
Sometimes they hear recordings they find upsetting, or possibly criminal. Two of the workers said they picked up what they believe was a sexual assault. When something like that happens, they may share the experience in the internal chat room as a way of relieving stress. Amazon says it has procedures in place for workers to follow when they hear something distressing, but two Romania-based employees said that, after requesting guidance for such cases, they were told it wasn’t Amazon’s job to interfere.
So as long as they make a sale from it, all's well with the world ;)

Anyone, anywhere is more than welcome to spy on me - I couldn't care less who has my data it makes not one bit of difference to my life apart from probably making it easier. :)

That’s the point, the law says it’s your data and they have a duty of care with it. GDPR applies to anyone anywhere who store data of EU citizen, though good luck with enforcing it if you don’t do business with/in the EU. It doesn’t protect U.K. any more but U.K. has to obey it.
I expect you’ve all received an email today, as I did, from Google saying your data will now be stored in USA instead of Ireland now we’ve left EU. Well, that’s all right then, we’ve taken back control :(.

No Google Email in my Inbox yet . So the UK has to comply with GDPR but isn’t protected by it ? Mmm. That’s not good. I did try to find out what the situation was re the UK post Brexit but was unable to. You must have superior sources to me,Richard...:)

As of March 31 the active data controller of your UK-based Google account is Google LLC of 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway... Not Google Ireland

From an email I received this morning to my UK flagged account (but not my Irish one):

We’re improving our Terms of Service and making them easier for you to understand. The changes will take effect on 31 March 2020, and they won’t impact the way that you use Google services. And, because the United Kingdom (UK) is leaving the European Union (EU), Google LLC will now be the service provider and the data controller responsible for your information and for complying with applicable privacy laws for UK consumer users.
For more details, we’ve provided a summary of the key changes and Frequently asked questions. And the next time that you visit Google, you’ll have the chance to review and accept the new Terms.

Last edited:
Anyone, anywhere is more than welcome to spy on me - I couldn't care less who has my data it makes not one bit of difference to my life apart from probably making it easier. :)

And yet you dont post with your real name here on TP...?

OK let’s see if you mean that, post your bank details and password here.

Nonsense
GDPR was written into UK law at the time

Back