BBC Pay

Name
Jak
Edit My Images
No
A report has been published showing what the top earners earn at the BBC.

No real surprises I suppose, Chris Evans on £2.0m or more is what I kind of expected :eek:

It just goes to prove to me something I said a long while ago, when the BBC gave up the rights to F1 to concentrate on Wimbledon, it's just a gentlemen's club in reality (n)

Reactions: BBR
i've been listening the Evans lately on radio 2 and thinking how young and enthusiastic he still sounds ...

also, got into the car in the afternoons and heard how steve wright still sounds the same as 30 years ago.

someone on the radio news just said the BBC should be doing more to find fresh 'talent' and not paying fortunes to keep these old buggers

They certainly like throwing our licence money around :mad:

No one cares that footballers get paid millions to kick a ball for 90 minutes.. what's the big fuss about some people earning some money for doing tv/radio programmes?

No one cares that footballers get paid millions to kick a ball for 90 minutes.. what's the big fuss about some people earning some money for doing tv/radio programmes?
I'm guessing because it's licence payers money and the licence is obligatory. I don't care really but I guess that's the reason people will complain.

I'm guessing because it's licence payers money and the licence is obligatory. I don't care really but I guess that's the reason people will complain.

Well that's it isn't, you have to pay it, so what does it matter who gets what?
Would you rather the money got spent on people who might actually entertain you or on bosses that you never see. (I use the term you as a catch all not you in particular)

Well that's it isn't, you have to pay it, so what does it matter who gets what?
Would you rather the money got spent on people who might actually entertain you or on bosses that you never see. (I use the term you as a catch all not you in particular)
As I say, I don't care, but some of it may be better spent on buying better programmes or producing shows rather than huge salaries. I guess it's supply and demand though.

I think footballers salaries are ridiculous but if people want to pay to watch them by attending matches or subscribing to Sky or whatever, then I guess that's up to them.

footballers salaries are often brought up on sports radio stations and other media outlets. many lower league football fans often cry about it ... until their team are bought by oil rich saudis or russians.
also, rugby fans seem to love laughing about it too to hide their disgust in it.

I would rather that my licence fee does not contribute to Alan Shearer getting paid in excess of £400K a year, just for sitting on a couch making semi literate remarks about football. I would rather that the BBC spends more wisely, trying to keep prestige sports, broadcasting more cutting edge documentaries, and actually produced a news channel which broadcast news, instead of smug little articles on how their own overpaid newscasters are getting on in a reality TV show.

Because none of my money goes towards a footballer's salary. :LOL:

To be fair the salaries in total probably represent a drop in the ocean of the BBC's total spend so reducing their salaries would make little or no difference. Having had a go at doing stuff to a video camera it is very difficult, these people make it look easy, so you have to pay the going rate. Slightly surprised why there is such a large gap between the men and the women though, given they do the same job I am fairly in the same pay camp.
Matt

I would rather that my licence fee does not contribute to Alan Shearer getting paid in excess of £400K a year, just for sitting on a couch making semi literate remarks about football. I would rather that the BBC spends more wisely, trying to keep prestige sports, broadcasting more cutting edge documentaries, and actually produced a news channel which broadcast news, instead of smug little articles on how their own overpaid newscasters are getting on in a reality TV show.
So the BBC cut presenters salaries and they all go to ITV or C4 where they can earn much more and we have a thread about how talentless the stars on the BBC are.

It reminds me of when I worked in a housing office and some semi-illiterate being totally obnoxious to the staff, and when I intervened he reminded me that he paid my wages and if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have a job, so I thanked him for his contribution and thew 10p on the table, a vastly inflated figure, as a refund. He was non to pleased, neither was I later when I realised he was on full C/Tax benefit.

Last edited:
I'm guessing because it's licence payers money and the licence is obligatory

We stopped paying the license fee about 5 years ago. Currently got Netflix & Amazon prime for the same price which covers all our watching needs as we mostly watch movies & YouTube. Amazon prime also has other goodies and benefits. My opinion is that the BBC is just getting fat on it's perceived mandatory fee - which many people "just pay" without thinking about alternatives. I wonder how many people would pay £145/year for the BBC if the law was changed to allow other channels to be watched without a license? [/grumpyoldman]

So the BBC cut presenters salaries and they all go to ITV or C4 where they can earn much more and we have a thread about how talentless the stars on the BBC are.
It is of course a matter of personal perception. I can't stand Evans but he clearly draws a large audience and apparently his pay is less than a penny per week per listener, so fair enough. But Vanessa Feltz, Claudia W, Jeremy V? I don't think the BBC quality would suffer if they lost them, IMO.

Didn't Jonathan Ross double his salary, plus this is only a few. A lot of the talent are paid through their companies, not direct from the BBC.
I think Chris Evans salary was reflecting when he was employed on Top Gear as well.

We stopped paying the license fee about 5 years ago. Currently got Netflix & Amazon prime for the same price which covers all our watching needs as we mostly watch movies & YouTube. Amazon prime also has other goodies and benefits. My opinion is that the BBC is just getting fat on it's perceived mandatory fee - which many people "just pay" without thinking about alternatives. I wonder how many people would pay £145/year for the BBC if the law was changed to allow other channels to be watched without a license? [/grumpyoldman]

How much a year do you pay for your broadband? Do you listen to the radio?

I think I get value for my £12 a month

I expect it does though, unless you never buy anything. In addition to subscription fees, Sky sells advertising which is paid for with the goods and services that most of us buy.

Sky apparently pay Thierry Henry £4m per annum for his services to football punditry, who pays his wages? Who pays ITV employees salaries?

(Answer, we all do)

Sky sports has some pretty decent coverage of F1 and their live football coverage is good.

Apart from perhaps the gender difference, it's all a storm in a teacup.
I could care less if Chris Evans earns 2 million. I pay my £145 or whatever it is each year, it makes no odds to me if he earns 10k or 10 million. I've paid the same as everyone else.
I don't even watch BBC tv very often, infact I rarely watch tv at all, when I do it's usually tipping point then the chase. That's it.

The BBC licence fee is a disgrace! It's far too low! I would willingly sell my house and all it's contents to support the BBC.

Seriously tho am beginning to wonder if £145 is a good deal to watch a bit of eggheads whilst I eat me dinner and Gardeners World on friday. When it's on.:thinking:

It's a cheap way for the government to run down the BBC. The biggest surprise is not that Evans, Lineker, Norton et al earn so much but that there is such a huge gender gap, not what one would expect from an organisation which appears to pride itself on being 'politically correct'.

In all other respects the pay structure at the BBC reflects the inequality in pay that exists in the rest of society although not extreme.

Do you honestly think Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer, Chris Evans and others, are that talented that they could not be replaced at a fraction of the cost by people who are just as talented and eager to do the job?
This is a bit like the bankers - "too big to fail, if we pay them less, get rid of their bonuses, they will all go away"
The BBC IMHO, is a mere shadow of what it was a few decades ago. The comedy shows have all but gone, and they have lost test match cricket, F1, most live football, and it would seem, live golf coverage.
The news programmes are rubbish.
What are we paying the licence for - repeats of Paul Hollywood which were shown a couple of months ago, The Hairy Bikers in as many guises as they can think of, it is dire.

Do you honestly think Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer, Chris Evans and others, are that talented that they could not be replaced at a fraction of the cost by people who are just as talented and eager to do the job?
This is a bit like the bankers - "too big to fail, if we pay them less, get rid of their bonuses, they will all go away"
The BBC IMHO, is a mere shadow of what it was a few decades ago. The comedy shows have all but gone, and they have lost test match cricket, F1, most live football, and it would seem, live golf coverage.
The news programmes are rubbish.
What are we paying the licence for - repeats of Paul Hollywood which were shown a couple of months ago, The Hairy Bikers in as many guises as they can think of, it is dire.
Don't equate eager to do the job as having talent. The way it usually works is you start small and make your way up, if you are talented then maybe one day you'll get the same sort of salary as Evans, Lineker etc. Whether or not I personally think they're talented or not I would only say that any one of those would probably be snapped up by the competition and paid considerably more.

How much a year do you pay for your broadband? Do you listen to the radio?

Not sure of relevance...? (Edit to add : Uness the TV license comes with free broadband?)

Each to their own though... I am quite happy to see alan on a couch making comments as I love football. That's the beauty of the BBC and also the difficulty - they need to put money into sport, documentaries, music, entertainment etc... and keep it balanced. There is no way they can afford to bid for some of the prestige sports against Sky or BT

Not sure of relevance...? (Edit to add : Uness the TV license comes with free broadband?)

Ah sorry - was trying to say that the bbc is £12 a month and most broadband providers are more (i.e. £25) and that the BBC isn't just TV but BBC radio as well.

As I listen to the radio a lot, both live and iplayer I don't think £12 is too much a month for everything.

Each to their own though... I am quite happy to see alan on a couch making comments as I love football. That's the beauty of the BBC and also the difficulty - they need to put money into sport, documentaries, music, entertainment etc... and keep it balanced. There is no way they can afford to bid for some of the prestige sports against Sky or BT

Sky etc pumped lots of money into sport and BBC couldn't compete. They even dropped F1 because they said it was costing them £1m a race. Now to have a valued pundit giving you insights to the sport is sometimes invaluable. £400k for shearer? Sky sports allegedly pay Henry £4m

The thing is though these guys are household names and already had a large fan base.
I don't disagree with you, but I wonder how many people would switch off or switch over if they were replaced?
I was put out when Sir Tel stopped doing the breakfast show, on R2, I thought he was brilliant, and considered looking for another "breakfast show"
But thought I'd give the Ginger Whinger a try and TBH, I was pleasantly surprised.
(Can't stand R1 crowd & the local show is a bit amateur-ish if I'm honest.)

However I rarely watch TV .. to quote Pink Floyd "Got thirteen channels of s*** on the T.V. to choose from." (OK so its a lot more these days, but its as current today as it was then in 1979)

What are we paying the licence for - repeats
Yep as above that's the main reason.

The thing is though these guys are household names and already had a large fan base.
I don't disagree with you, but I wonder how many people would switch off or switch over if they were replaced?
I was put out when Sir Tel stopped doing the breakfast show, on R2, I thought he was brilliant, and considered looking for another "breakfast show"
But thought I'd give the Ginger Whinger a try and TBH, I was pleasantly surprised.
(Can't stand R1 crowd & the local show is a bit amateur-ish if I'm honest.)

However I rarely watch TV .. to quote Pink Floyd "Got thirteen channels of s*** on the T.V. to choose from." (OK so its a lot more these days, but its as current today as it was then in 1979)

Yep as above that's the main reason.
Funnily I stopped watching Top Gear when they go rid of Clarkson etc... stopped listening to R1 when Marc & Lard left too!

Funnily I stopped watching Top Gear when they go rid of Clarkson etc
Same here.
Well that is I used to watch it occasionally, but never since then.

stopped listening to R1 when Marc & Lard left too
Who? :D
Not listened to R1 in I can't remember how long tbh.

R&M are on R6 Music now. Thank the pantheon for DAB in the car for when I run out of CD!

Apart from perhaps the gender difference, it's all a storm in a teacup.
I could care less if Chris Evans earns 2 million. I pay my £145 or whatever it is each year, it makes no odds to me if he earns 10k or 10 million. I've paid the same as everyone else.
I don't even watch BBC tv very often, infact I rarely watch tv at all, when I do it's usually tipping point then the chase. That's it.

You know, I read this, and apart from your choice of game shows ( :D ), I actually agree. Life's too short to stay wound up about it really, right?
The licence fee is a drop in the ocean compared to what I've been ripping Sky off for, for a good many years, and even then I don't watch a great deal of TV.

The only thing that 'annoys' me about the BBC, and I don't think it's actually their fault, is the lack of sports coverage. They have been outbid for most sporting events and on it's on SKY.

Mind, cricket comes back in a couple of years ;)

Back