Beautiful Day at the lake

Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_9862_4_1_3-1.jpg

Last edited:
Another one from your 'dreamy period'? For me, a little over zealous with the saturation this time around.

I prefer the dreamy period

I hadn't actually put the saturation out like that , however the software was still using the printing options for glossy photo's so it's the wrong saturation.

Fixed

That’s a nice composition and a lovely scene with good reflections, it’s got everything there. However, excuse me for saying this, but to my amateur eye it looks like an HDR that’s been over processed.
I would like to see the original unprocessed shot of this landscape, or one with less processing; I feel it would make a good picture.
Trev

It's not a HDR :) , it's orton processing

OK, sorry for that misjudgement, now I will qualify what I said about me being an amateur and admit that I dont know what orton processing is. :thinking:

Its learning time for me again :), gee this learning curve gets steeper and steeper :help:
Trev (y)

Hi Neil
Nice shot and the processing looks good too.
Had never heard of the Orton effect / processing - interesting.
May have a play with that when I get some time & the right shot - Cheers.

Great effect, and finished image, also never heard of this technique but
just had a quick go on an image, following your link and seems very effective.
thanks for sharing info.

Nice composition but predictably I'll pass on the processing :)

I've looked at this a couple of times now and whilst I think the subject matter is really beautiful and the composition is great, I can't get my head round the processing. It all looks a bit blurry to me............or is that what it is supposed to do?

I'd love to see the original.

Funny old world...I take shots not quite in focus and try to rectify it and then some one invents this ORTON(known about it for over a year) and people think I will try that and end up getting beautifully sharp shots back to my blurred ones,
keith...
Mind you it must work as Many many view yours and hardly anyone mine.

Funny old world...I take shots not quite in focus and try to rectify it and then some one invents this ORTON(known about it for over a year) and people think I will try that and end up getting beautifully sharp shots back to my blurred ones,
keith...
Mind you it must work as Many many view yours and hardly anyone mine.

You have an absolutely bizarre approach to forum participation, grow up for crying out loud.

I love the shot, would like to see it minus Orton just to compare.

Gary.

I've looked at this a couple of times now and whilst I think the subject matter is really beautiful and the composition is great, I can't get my head round the processing. It all looks a bit blurry to me............or is that what it is supposed to do?

I'd love to see the original.

Truthlly the original is Flat , Sharp , uninspiring!

I've taken so many reflection shots and i got the same replies over and over again... "My eye doesn't know what to look at" or "It's a good image but it doesn't hold my interest" or "you need a point of interest" and some " The light is bad go back with good light ".

I love this processing style for the summer shots , i've even changed processing styles for my black and whites. The change is totaly different in replies and how i feel about my images. Gone are the replies of lack of interest just the odd one isn't sure about the processing.

I didn't even know about Orton until sometime after when someone mentioned it :clap:

Truthlly the original is Flat , Sharp , uninspiring!

I've taken so many reflection shots and i got the same replies over and over again... "My eye doesn't know what to look at" or "It's a good image but it doesn't hold my interest" or "you need a point of interest" and some " The light is bad go back with good light ".

I love this processing style for the summer shots , i've even changed processing styles for my black and whites. The change is totaly different in replies and how i feel about my images. Gone are the replies of lack of interest just the odd one isn't sure about the processing.

I didn't even know about Orton until sometime after when someone mentioned it :clap:

Surely though, the photo needs to make YOU happy. Which makes me wonder, if you got negative replies in the past, but were happy with the photos, why change? What would happen if you get responses you like, but you are unhappy with the photos?

I like the process, but like anything, too much of a quircky style, and it will get old, real quick.

Gary.

I can't make my mind up, I really like aspects of it like composition, sky and the reflections.

Then I look at the tree's and they appear..well...furry?!?

Hmm I really cant decide, certainly grabbed my attention though. :)

I can't make my mind up, I really like aspects of it like composition, sky and the reflections.

Then I look at the tree's and they appear..well...furry?!?

Hmm I really cant decide, certainly grabbed my attention though. :)

Don't you mean Fuzzy? :D

Surely though, the photo needs to make YOU happy. Which makes me wonder, if you got negative replies in the past, but were happy with the photos, why change? What would happen if you get responses you like, but you are unhappy with the photos?

I like the process, but like anything, too much of a quircky style, and it will get old, real quick.

Gary.

I was happy with the photo's in the past but i wanted to go further , i just took more of the views on board. Though A few people that didn't like my shots then and even now are not exactly the ones to give any critque going by their shots :puke:

I was happy with the photo's in the past but i wanted to go further , i just took more of the views on board. Though A few people that didn't like my shots then and even now are not exactly the ones to give any critque going by their shots :puke:

Come on dude, you can do a hell of a lot better than that!!! Never ever show superiority complex, its ugly. Another reason people are scared to crit, they are worried that those who think they are "better" don't value their input.

Gary.

I don't think the composition works. I think it needs to be wider so that you don't lose part of the left tree's reflection. As others have said the saturation is a tad too much as well.

Come on dude, you can do a hell of a lot better than that!!! Never ever show superiority complex, its ugly. Another reason people are scared to crit, they are worried that those who think they are "better" don't value their input.

Gary.

Not at all , i just take a dim view of SOME people that don't like the processing at any stage but then their work isn't exactly good anyway. If you critique other peoples work atleast use the same critique on your own images. This is not for everyone

Your own images for example are amazing , however the processing and nd grads.. Was the sky really purple? , did the sea really look smooth like that?. People like one set of processing and not another because it doesn't look right or doesn't look real , but what is real?

Last edited:
but then their work isn't exactly good anyway.

That doesn't make someone's crit wrong, some people can offer perfectly acceptable crit whilst blissfully ignoring their own advice. You can often be too close to your own work to see the negatives (no pun intended) that others spot straight away. You need to be open to that.

Not at all , i just take a dim view of SOME people that don't like your work nor your processing at any stage but then their work isn't exactly good anyway. If you critique other peoples work atleast use the same critique on your own images. This is not for everyone

Your own images for example are amazing , however the processing and nd grads.. Was the sky really purple? , did the sea really look smooth like that?. People like one set of processing and not another because it doesn't look right or doesn't look real , but what is real?

Of course the sky wasn't purple, and of course the sea didn't resemble a bed of foggy cloud (I bang on about processing the white balance all the time!).

But that's besides the point. Have you EVER, seen me reply to crit saying "How dare you, with the photos you take, you have ZERO right to respond!". I would never ever in a million years, EVER even think of showing a negative reaction to crit. How many times do people need reminded that when someone TAKES THE TIME to REPLY and crit YOUR photos, that they are actually doing you a favour?

Secondly, just because someone is a beginner, or not the best with the camera, does not mean they don't have a better eye than you. The worlds greatest graphic designer might not have a clue how to take a good photo, I bet he knows a better photo though!!

All I am saying, don't put yourself on a pedestal and think you are ever better than those who try and help. The minute you do, you are at the bottom of the pile. Attitude goes a long way, show a little modesty and humility, and if you MUST see your peers as *beneath you*, which stinks, at least try and help them improve.

Gary.

Sorry Garry i'm just f**** off with a few people and the hypocrisy on this forum , i'm going to take a few days away from the forums to chill.

Sorry Garry i'm just f**** off with a few people and the hypocrisy on this forum , i'm going to take a few days away from the forums to chill.

I don't get it though, you have had a very positive reply to things. I can't imagine really letting anything forum related (other than dummy spitting) get up my nose? People of all levels can crit, and if you like it or not, you should at least respect it.

Sorry you are having a hard time.

Gary.

Not at all , i just take a dim view of SOME people that don't like the processing at any stage but then their work isn't exactly good anyway. If you critique other peoples work atleast use the same critique on your own images.

Isn't this the type of comments that we have been discussing on another couple of current threads about commenting on others images, why we do it and how we react to it?

Isn't this a case in point of how people sometimes come across as being dismissive of certain peoples crit because they don't think they have decent shots in their arsenal and so can not make an observation?

Boring I know, but if you can not take comments good and bad then don't post. Do you only want people to blow smoke up your arse without ever pointing out anything bad?

Isn't this the type of comments that we have been discussing on another couple of current threads about commenting on others images, why we do it and how we react to it?

Isn't this a case in point of how people sometimes come across as being dismissive of certain peoples crit because they don't think they have decent shots in their arsenal and so can not make an observation?

Boring I know, but if you can not take comments good and bad then don't post. Do you only want people to blow smoke up your arse without ever pointing out anything bad?

100%. It seems to be EVERYWHERE at the moment, what the hell is wrong with the forums?

Gary.

I sometimes thing peoples tones and the true meanings of statements can be lost in the written word , sometimes though , not always

I sometimes thing peoples tones and the true meanings of statements can be lost in the written word , sometimes though , not always

WHAT DO YOU MEAN? I did NOT , and I REALLY DO MEAN THIS, I did NOT kill Mrs Pink, with the Sausage, in the Laundry Room!!! :D

Gary.

You want to think yourself lucky you dont have to submit the total carp i have to for crit

you soon be seriously hacked off ;);)

Apologies for jumping the thread, but I had a go at the Orton processing technique. hope you dont mind

Quite an interesting effect. Not 100% about it yet but it may grow on me. hope I've done the process justice to show the effect at its best.

Ive posted normal PP pics as a comparison. What do you think?

Normal
3657544651_e22498428d_o.jpg

Orton
3720844667_a057f96656_o.jpg

Normal
3647045763_f6140f3bc6_o.jpg

Orton
3720830851_30df4fbd65_o.jpg

What i like about what you did is , it really has shown much more detail in the rocks and tree's! Nice. However tone down the saturation , its more green than my apparantly over saturated photo's ;)

Nearly there , so far so good :D

Back