weekly Bebop's 52 for 2022 - Week 52: Showcase

Fabulous shot Bee - spot on for the challenge, but a brilliant shot as well

Wow! I really didn’t expect to see a stunning wildlife shot for the theme this week. Very nicely done Bebop.

I love the body position in the second shot. Both really pleasing images though.

That's a fabulous shot, capturing the movement like that. Sometimes technical perfection can detract from a picture, I'd rather capture the action and emotion, so good choice

Last edited:
I love the body position in the second shot. Both really pleasing images though.
Thanks Nick.I had a few to choose from, but I quite liked his feet off the ground.

That's a fabulous shot, capturing the movement like that. Sometimes technical perfection can detract from a picture, I'd rather capture the action and emotion, so good choice
Thanks Alan. I do quite like the sparkles of the dew on the grass in that first one.

Great shots Bebop. I like the second the best and I think both are very suited for the theme.

A lovely couple of images, the first conveys the theme of damp however I also think the second shot is the better one.

Shame they got wind of you otherwise you may have seen a boxing match between them.

A lovely couple of images, the first conveys the theme of damp however I also think the second shot is the better one.

Shame they got wind of you otherwise you may have seen a boxing match between them.
Thanks Duncan. My thoughts too.

There had been three of them earlier, and then just the two chasing each other around. This one appeared to be trying to escape from one other, but stopped in its tracks. I would have laid on the floor if I'd known it was going to come into the open like that. They had been bouncing around in longer grass. Perhaps another day soon - I shall look out for them now. I was convinced there were none about.

The second is sharper but the first has more character, does your camera settings give you an idea why the first isn't as sharp, or is it just down to the focus?

A couple of great shots... I love that he is looking into the camera! The second is sharper and still portrays the damp grass but I can see why you chose the first.

The second is sharper but the first has more character, does your camera settings give you an idea why the first isn't as sharp, or is it just down to the focus?
Thanks Stuart. On the first I was trying to use the usual focus, all the following frames were out of focus until I switched to the eye tracking - it then got the rest in focus. So in this scenario (and most I've found to be honest), my Canon R5 seems to focus better with the eye tracking. I quite liked the sparkles in the first :)

A couple of great shots... I love that he is looking into the camera! The second is sharper and still portrays the damp grass but I can see why you chose the first.
Thanks Helen. I had a run (forgive the pun) to choose from, so it wasn't easy... I just knew I didn't want the 10 blurry ones. I couldn't believe my luck when he ran my way :) He was being chased, so I guess I could have been luckier and got 2 hares!

my Canon R5 seems to focus better with the eye tracking. I quite liked the sparkles in the first :)
I can only dream having wizardry that allows eye tracking, I'm using a Panasonic G5 that I really need to upgrade!

I can only dream having wizardry that allows eye tracking, I'm using a Panasonic G5 that I really need to upgrade!
it is very clever - one wonders just how clever these things can get. It takes some getting used to in a way, but it is mostly amazing. I think my other (non mirrorless) camera would have made a better job of the ordinary focus.

Week 10: Seen through the window

I take a lot of photos of red squirrels through my window. I'll choose the standard squirrel pose as my submission this week, although the cat and the pheasants taken with my phone makes me smile. I took about 300 squirrel pics this morning... extremely high ISO before 8am and the sun came out later which helped, except then you can get blown whites.

20220312-BCR_2922_1_week10.jpg

Other possibilities, plus the main one again so you can compare if you wish...

IMG_7156-2.jpg 20220312-BCR_2728_1_week10.jpg 20220312-BCR_2922_1_week10.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely red squirrel. I see you have pheasants and a cat in the other shots as well. Think you picked the best one.

Last edited:
I really like your choice of shot, and it’s lovely. Very jealous of what you can see through your window!

Lovely red squirrel. I see you have pheasants and a cat in the other shots as well. Think you picked the best one.
I really like your choice of shot, and it’s lovely. Very jealous of what you can see through your window!
Thank you both - it feels a bit of a lazy attempt this week.

I am very lucky and I really should make more effort to set up something more photogenic in the garden. We had 7 female pheasants the other day with the one male. They wreck the lawn as you can see and usually the cat tries to avoid them!

Get set Bebop, I particularly like the cat just hanging out with the pheasants.

Lovely Squiggle stuffs :)

Lovely shot. Yet to see a red in the wild.....:(
Through the window like my one as I read it, nice shots.
Get set Bebop, I particularly like the cat just hanging out with the pheasants.
Lovely Squiggle stuffs :)
Lovely shot of the red squirrel, we mainly have greys around here.
Great shot that makes me jealous of your window view.

Thank you all for the kind comments. I am extremely lucky to have them locally and see them often several times a day... Mind you I do feed them. What is really annoying is that squirrel is burying a brazil nut in no shell - I didn't think they would bury those, and likely they will just go to waste. They cost a lot to feed these squirrels!!

My squirrels are not tame at all and I don't encourage them near the house because of the cat - although she is old now. If you ever come to the Isle of Wight @SimonH, there are some quite tame ones over near Apse Heath.

Aww.. really cute capture there. Your cat has the same attitude to pheasants as mine - look but don't touch! I suspect he learnt a lesson with them a long time ago.

Aww.. really cute capture there. Your cat has the same attitude to pheasants as mine - look but don't touch! I suspect he learnt a lesson with them a long time ago.
Thanks Helen. Mostly the cat doesn’t like to get too close to them - maybe she did once. I think she was being brave this time.

Lovely squirrel shot.

We used to have quite a number come into the garden but they moved on when I had to clear-fell the softwood timber parcel. I'm currently re-planting with UK hardwoods to create a permanent woodland of about 5 acres ... 600 trees planted and another 1500 to go in in October. Hopefully the reds will re-appear and re-establish. We did have a few greys however they have been dealt with.

Back