Bedfordshire Clanger

Name
Terri
Edit My Images
Yes
Watching Jamie and Jimmy tonight and they are trying to get this lovely thing back into people... i have been making this since i was a child my mum and nanna taught me how to.. i find it strange that so many people that grew up in the are have never heard of it....

So do any of you know what it is????

i'll be making one tomorrow as my other half has no idea either..

I had heard of it but will be trying to make one tomorrow as looks lovely.

I thought they were those little whistling pointy things on the moon.....But they would be Moon Clangers I suppose?

It's a 3rd pasty knock off!

No don't watch the program. Reminds me of the Cornish Pasty,just done like a roll.

Trevor

I had heard of it, and I cannot believe that so many people in Bedford were unaware of it.
I actually remain unconvinced, preferring to have my main and dessert on different plates, so I will stick to a good Cornish pasty - if I can find one.

I'm all for trying something new, and have never heard of the 'Clanger' so I've got to give it a go.

Nothing ventured.....

I had heard of it, and I cannot believe that so many people in Bedford were unaware of it.
I actually remain unconvinced, preferring to have my main and dessert on different plates, so I will stick to a good Cornish pasty - if I can find one.

Pretty much anything that's made in Cornwall, as long as it hasn't got Ginsters printed on the packet!

Pretty much anything that's made in Cornwall, as long as it hasn't got Ginsters printed on the packet!
Seriously? As far as pre-packed sarnies, rolls and pasties go on a nationwide commercial scale, there is nothing that can touch Ginsters.

Obviously there are native pies and rolls produced locally on a small scale that are divine, but I can't think of any other brand that distributes nationally with tastier baked products than Ginsters? :/

p.s I still think the best pasties I've ever had were the ones from The Pasty Mine in Bishopsteignton that I used to buy on a daily basis. Used to order it through the letter box in the door lol. Aaaah they were the days...

Last edited:
How are the main and desert ends separated inside? The idea of beef juices running into rhurbarb crumble :eek:

How are the main and desert ends separated inside? The idea of beef juices running into rhurbarb crumble :eek:

Exactly, all in all, not the greatest of ideas when I saw them being made.

Seriously? As far as pre-packed sarnies, rolls and pasties go on a nationwide commercial scale, there is nothing that can touch Ginsters.

Obviously there are native pies and rolls produced locally on a small scale that are divine, but I can't think of any other brand that distributes nationally with tastier baked products than Ginsters? :/

p.s I still think the best pasties I've ever had were the ones from The Pasty Mine in Bishopsteignton that I used to buy on a daily basis. Used to order it through the letter box in the door lol. Aaaah they were the days...

Yup, 100% seriously! Ginsters taste like I would imagine cr@p tastes like compared to proper ones. When allowed, I would rather spend a few hours driving down to Tintagel (past the Ginsters factory at Launceston) to pick up a few good pasties from Pengenna pasties - hot from the oven. The smell as the aroma permeates through the car on the way home... I would also rather make a simple cheese sarnie than eat a Ginsters thing - TBH, I'm like nothing, I won't touch a Ginsters product!

In Fact most Cornish would not touch Ginsters

Yup, 100% seriously! Ginsters taste like I would imagine cr@p tastes like compared to proper ones. When allowed, I would rather spend a few hours driving down to Tintagel (past the Ginsters factory at Launceston) to pick up a few good pasties from Pengenna pasties - hot from the oven. The smell as the aroma permeates through the car on the way home... I would also rather make a simple cheese sarnie than eat a Ginsters thing - TBH, I'm like nothing, I won't touch a Ginsters product!

Would like a petition made to move the Border of Cornwall/Devon a little further West so that it is in Devon. They give Cornwall and Cornish Pasties a bad name. Having said that have tried Greggs pasties and cannot see what is so nice about them!!

The local Tesco`s sometimes have Ginsters pasties on offer and end up having to almost give them away for 20p

Yup, 100% seriously! Ginsters taste like I would imagine cr@p tastes like compared to proper ones.
Wow! So Nod(and stryvya)...you obviously didn't read my post in full/properly.

So what brand would you recommend instead?

*That distributes nationally....

Last edited:

Why does it have to distribute nationally? Ginsters taste horrible IMHO, I don't see national distribution making them taste any better

Why does it have to distribute nationally? Ginsters taste horrible IMHO, I don't see national distribution making them taste any better
Ummm so that it can be a product that ALL of us have the chance to buy? Like duh....

As for your statement of "Ginsters taste horrible"... Erm...do you mean ALL of their products?

Or just one in particular? If so - which one/s ?

Or are you just saying it for the sake of it? (How predictable)

Last edited:
Yea which is what I stated in my original post if you cared to read.

If anything, you're the one replying in a teenage manner.

As for your statement of "Ginsters taste horrible"... Erm...do you mean ALL of their products?

Or just one in particular? If so - which one/s ?

Or are you just saying it for the sake of it? (How predictable)

I used the acronym IMHO, I take it you know what that means? I have had sausage rolls and pasties and I didn't like any of them so no, not saying anythi0ng for the sake of it.

Yea which is what I stated in my original post if you cared to read.

If anything, you're the one replying in a teenage manner.

Seriously? I just asked a question and tried to enter into a conversation and you're just being rude.

I'm "being rude"?!

You stated that I answered 'like a 14 year old' ....now who's being rude eh fabs?

You initially generalised by stating that "Ginsters taste horrible" and I merely asked if you thought that ALL of their products taste 'horrible'?

You didn't answer that question specifically though did you, probably because you don't even know the answer yourself...(or you haven't tasted enough Ginsters products to answer truthfully with any real knowledge) ;)

http://www.pengennapasties.co.uk/pages/order_pasties/order.htm

They freeze very well and if left to defrost overnight in the fridge, reheat with very little deterioration in taste or texture. I'd rather miss a meal than have a Ginsters pasty. Apart from in the depths of winter, there's always a queue out of the door at the Tintagel shop. We usually buy a dozen assorted pasties every visit.

Nod thank you.

I'll look in to them as i've never heard of them - always interesting to try something new, and at least then I'll get to speak as I find!! :)

I'm "being rude"?!

You stated that I answered 'like a 14 year old' ....now who's being rude eh fabs?

You initially generalised by stating that "Ginsters taste horrible" and I merely asked if you thought that ALL of their products taste 'horrible'?

You didn't answer that question specifically though did you, probably because you don't even know the answer yourself...(or you haven't tasted enough Ginsters products to answer truthfully with any real knowledge) ;)

"Like duh...." is rude!

"How predictable" is rude!

I said that IN MY HUMBLE OPINION Ginsters products taste horrible. If you don't like my opinion, that's your choice.

Now, wind your neck in.

I don't mind Ginsters pasties, better than most others you would buy nationally at say Tesco but not a patch on homemade or those from Cornwall.

I made a Clanger on Sunday, then had it for tea. Very nice, not the best pics as had been down the pub! Two thirds was cornish pasty filling (rump steak, onion, swede, potato, salt & pepper) and one third was bramley apple and a little sugar. To prevent juices running I used a small amount of pastry to divide. It was bloody nice!!! Cant beat suet pastry!

12597171105_0d9522f2c3_c.jpg

12597642324_ddd798ff71_c.jpg

How do you tell which end is which?

....cos it would be :hungover: to bite the sweet end first!

As a Cornish man of 70 yrs young I can assure you Ginsters Products (all I have Tried) taste horrible, whereas our Local Tesco`s Pasties (On the Deli Counter, locally made) are fairly reasonable, OK not the best but tasty.

Any News on that Border being moved yet??

If you look at Google Earth and find the Ginsters factory (beside the A30, near Launceston) it's very telling that the exit to the main road only allows the lorries to head East. IIRC it was part of the planning authority's conditions.

"Like duh...." is rude!

"How predictable" is rude!

I said that IN MY HUMBLE OPINION Ginsters products taste horrible. If you don't like my opinion, that's your choice.

Now, wind your neck in.

I'm with you marc - ginsters pasties are disgusting IMO - people who think otherwise probably havent had a real one - as regards getting hold of them if you don't live in devon or cornwall (or bedfordshire for clangers) , there are various pasty shops in both devon and cornwall which will sell you pasties on line and ship them to you frozen... the critical difference is that they largely freeze them uncooked - unlike ginsters which have already been cooked once.

(for example although they are far from the only one http://cornishpasties.com/ )

The other alternative is to make your own - which isnt difficuult - I usually make 24 at a time and freeze them in batches

I'm with you marc - ginsters pasties are disgusting IMO - people who think otherwise probably havent had a real one - as regards getting hold of them if you don't live in devon or cornwall (or bedfordshire for clangers) , there are various pasty shops in both devon and cornwall which will sell you pasties on line and ship them to you frozen... the critical difference is that they largely freeze them uncooked - unlike ginsters which have already been cooked once.

(for example although they are far from the only one http://cornishpasties.com/ )

The other alternative is to make your own - which isnt difficuult - I usually make 24 at a time and freeze them in batches

You know, I don't think I've ever had a cornish pasty that was actually made in cornwall. I've had local ones which have been excellent though. I'm on a diet at the moment so pastry is a nono for me. :(

If you've had a Cornish pasty, I think it has to have been made in Cornwall due to its PGI status. I'm not actually on a diet at the moment but am trying to be rather more sensible about what I eat so have pasties all too rarely. Must get down to Tintagel soon - been too long since I've had one! If wanted, I can always bring a few up in May...

i may be wrong but didn't in older time the cornish pasty have a sweet and savoury vibe like the clanger?...

How do you tell which end is which?

IIRC in days of yore, didn't they bake a small "S" shape one end
For "Savory" ?
And a small "S" on the other for "sweet"?

Oh hang on :thinking:
....cos it would be :hungover: to bite the sweet end first! .
I thought there was quite a cult "following" of people eating pudding / dessert
what ever you like to call it, first.
Just to make sure they had "room" left for it?.

Back