Beginners Online Photoshop & Lightroom Tutorials

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, could anyone recommend some online Photoshop tutorials please, I don't mind paying for the right ones. I have a reasonable knowledge of lightroom but I have kept away from Photoshop as it seems a bit daunting with all the options in there but I think I'm ready. I know very little, about the only thing I knw how to do is basic blending. I mainly shoot landscapes if that helps with recommendations but I'd just like to try to learn a bit from the ground up really.

Cheers

Gary

Ooooh i'll have to check these out also

I'm reading this book on my kindle. Seems pretty good on both Lightroom and Photoshop. Easy to read and gets very good reviews on Amazon.

Serge Ramelli on Youtube is great too for both Photoshop and Lightroom

aaron nace has some amazing stuff at phlearn.com also has a complete photoshop 101,102 & 103 available for sale i find he's really good at explaining and showing what he's unto and gives real world examples of when to use your new skills

Reactions: TG.
You can't beat Phlearn IMHO. For a free resource Aaron is brilliant. I found Phlearn about two months ago and I've learnt so much about photoshop in the last couple of months.

For Lightroom then search YouTube for Photos In Colour and Lightroomkillertips is pretty good although Matt Kloskowski doesn't run it anymore, you should find a lot of archive stuff on the site.

Another fan of Phlearn here, I have just got Photoshop 101-301 and Retouching 101-301 although i have been using photoshop for years I'm sure i have probably picked up some bad habits along the way from being pretty much self taught, so I thought I would try and go back to basics, mainly just to see if I could speed up my workflow, and find quicker ways of doing the same things, as although I get edits done as i like them, I'm sure sometimes I go the long winded way, 101-301 supposed to be from a beginner to pro, so will see how I get on, about 35 + hours of video to get through so should be interesting :)

All I need now is a tutorial on how to not overprocess everything. I get so involved in what I'm doing that i just keep tweaking until I've gone way too far.
At least you can turn down the layer strength in PS very easily so it's not totally wasted time...

I recently used PH Learn for frequency separation, fantastic step by step and he doesn't go through too quickly which I have found with other tutorials. using split screen I have had some great results.

YouTube—the platform for everything, especially what is your needs. but before starting, you can decide that you need a useful way, Some basic things about Photoshop you need to dig deeper. https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-way-to-learn-Adobe-Photoshop/answer/Md-Bakhtiar-Uddin-1
I'd prefer to say YouTube - the hotbed of inaccuracy and misinformation.

The problem with YouTube, and the internet in general, is that anyone can set themselves up as an "expert" and peddle inaccurate information.
I've seen some absolutely shocking "tutorials" on YouTube, but beginners may not be able to recognise the good from the bad.

Treat everything you see on YouTube with suspicion, and try to get confirmation of any "facts" that are promoted there.

The problem with YouTube, and the internet in general, is that anyone can set themselves up as an "expert" and peddle inaccurate information.
I've seen some absolutely shocking "tutorials" on YouTube, but beginners may not be able to recognise the good from the bad.

Treat everything you see on YouTube with suspicion, and try to get confirmation of any "facts" that are promoted there.

Is there anybody on Youtube that you would recommend?

Is there anybody on Youtube that you would recommend?

Since this thread is related to Lightroom and Photoshop, I think the tutorials by Juieanne Kost are pretty reliable and she is a "Photoshop and Lightroom Imaging Evangelist" for Adobe.

I think the tutorials produced by the software manufacturers are generally reliable.

I had a heated email exchange with one YouTube "expert" who was adamant that perspective changed as a result of changing focal length and not as a result of changing viewpoint.
Those are the sort of people you need to be aware of, and to avoid.

A printed book can be a very functional reference format (and uses no bandwidth or electricity whilst you're engaging with it). The basics of Photoshop haven't changed that much for years, really, so I'd recommend Real World Photoshop CS (or CS2) - recent enough - by two very functional authors, Blatner and Fraser. Solidly lucid, in-depth material.

Here's a bit about Bruce: http://www.brucefraserlegacy.com/

The problem with YouTube and the internet in general, is that anyone can set themselves up as an "expert" and peddle inaccurate information.

Yeah, it's nice that I take your thoughts into account, but in my experience, I really have experienced a lot from YouTube, novice to progress. I find many knowledgeable professionals who will assist everyone with this. Yeah, I did not name anybody here, but if anyone wants to locate anyone, they can find who they are searching for.

Tons of stuff on Youtube. I have my own channel at Ken Brann Photography - YouTube that has Photoshop, Lightroom, drone, and underwater stuff. I release new stuff every week. If you have something your interested in and I will try to include it in my schedule. Another channel I also like is Mark Denney - YouTube . He is really good. When you find videos you like look at the tags below the videos like #LandScapePhotography or #Lightroom and it will take you to more videos on that topic.

I have a Windows 10 laptop and an Android Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus 12.4 Tablet. I have Photoshop CC installed on my laptop and I'm wondering if there's any benefit in also installing Lightroom?

If I purchase Lightroom for my Samsung (Android), would I need to pay an additional subscription to use it on my laptop?

Thanks

Why do people bring up old threads. So annoying !

Any recommendations for Capture One tutorials?

Back