Behind the goals

Nice shots, Tony. What stand/tripod did you use?

one of them bendy gorrila things

having a good start to seaosn.. loads published from the newport game and now as far as I can see.. the only player shot from last night PNE Blackpool game.. goal scorer cele in daily mirror :)

Hi Tony,
This is such a luck game TBH!,
I had to reset it even before the game began due to some inconsiderate player hitting it in warm up:D. on to gear!

As already said I didn't want to use a Nikon D3 as a target so waited until I got a "cheaper" camera. I purchased a Nikon D2H on this forum last week & I already had Yongnus 602N receivers & Trigger. (Note, the newer 603's won't do!, as they are Transeivers). Also the connection cable for the 602's is extra to the units!.

List of items :-
1 Nikon D2H
2 Velbon mini tripod
3 Yongnus 602N units + cable
4 Nikon 18-35 zoom (a struggle given the DX format of the D2H!), really need 12/14mm for DX!
5 Aquatech waterproof cover! (not yet needed :) ).

settings where :-
Spot metering
Shutter priority programme
1250 ISO
white balance = cloud
focued manual on 6 yard line
card was Extreme Pro 16G 60mb/s

oh and a lot of damn luck IMHO(y)

Not saying these are technicaly correct but they worked today:LOL:. Kind regards Graham.

I use an orange sainsburys bag for cover, more visible than a plain waterproof cover, in case some numpty of a steward or anyone else fails to see it!

I do have a couple of questions.

When you are focussing on the 6 yard line how do you do that when the camera is so low to the ground?

I imagine you are lying down on the floor and it could be a bit difficult.

Secondly I wonder how a 1D IIN would do for this. i.e. when the light starts getting iffy in a few months.

So those that have or had a 11N how was the noise at ISO 1250 or 1600?

Last edited:
Thanks Robin. I'm well pleased with the results so far, however, the pic that made the Daily Star on Sunday was image #4!, nearly full page go figure?:thinking:

£200 for the camera + £30.00 for triggers + £15 for tripod + lens of choice? godda be worth a punt? a single use nearly pays for it!!

FF you'd get away with 18mmish? my D2H is DX and a bit tight on it!

maybe looking for a 10-20 Sigma soon but would be useless in winter with it's 4-5.6 appy?,especially with the D2h's poor noise above 1600, so my 18mm may have to do with it's faster apature! Kind regards Graham.

I do have a couple of questions.

When you are focussing on the 6 yard line how do you do that when the camera is so low to the ground?

I imagine you are lying down on the floor and it could be a bit difficult.

Secondly I wonder how a 1D IIN would do for this. i.e. when the light starts getting iffy in a few months.

So those that have or had a 11N how was the noise at ISO 1250 or 1600?

Hi Rob
yep your layed flat! which is not ideal in winter snow & rain:).
I've put out feelers for a right angle finder on the wanted adds & had a reply but just can't justify the cost to put it on for a split min!!

Ditto with the D2h!! so will let you know!(y)

I've got a really old EF20-35/2.8 so I was thinking of a Mark IIn and that lens.

Go for it Rob!,
Manual focus is the name of the game so focus lagg etc isn't an issue, sharpness is!!
for the sake of £30ish for triggers why not?, I wouldn't want to pay £200 for pocket Wizards right now but I can lose over £30 in petrol to some away games?. use an egg box as a stand to try it out! I already had the Velbon mini tripod otherwise I'd have gone for the Gorrilapod as used by Tony if not!. & post your settings/results we can all learn(y). Kind regards Graham.

Last edited:
300ppi mate,
but it was really pulled even before there editorial resizing!!, shot on a D3/300mm
I'm amazed I got anything used TBH given that there was, Getty, AI , Empix, PA, Sun,(i think) Staffer, & 2 other freelancers + Tony from YP, Andy from the Examiner & 3 club togs :).(y). See you soon. Graham.

Not a sniff of a use from the goal line shots!!, so the "in his words" inferior image from Tony is a 100% hit LOL!!. No accounting for taste:razz: :D. Kind regards Graham.

I'm amazed I got anything used TBH given that there was, Getty, AI , Empix, PA, Sun,(i think) Staffer, & 2 other freelancers .

I did the same at PNE on monday.. all them...about 12 photogrpahers and i got daily mirror.. not saying it as show off.. but just to say it does dispell the myth that you cant get published if they are there as many (inc me at one point) seem to think :)

ps no idea what ppi i send mine half the time..

List of items :-
4 Nikon 18-35 zoom (a struggle given the DX format of the D2H!), really need 12/14mm for DX!

maybe looking for a 10-20 Sigma soon but would be useless in winter with it's 4-5.6 appy?,especially with the D2h's poor noise above 1600, so my 18mm may have to do with it's faster apature! Kind regards Graham.

Maybe Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X would be better for your DX sensor of D2H? Used is not much more expensive than 10-20 Sigma and 11mm might be wide enough.

Hi Tony,
yep I agree(y) there is no set agenda for image useage:thinking:!.

A load of our guys shy away from sitting anywhere near the big agency guys ?, but if you've got the shot needed then the papers will use it! IMHO.

Hi Gregory,
thanks for the info fella!
I must admit I've looked into this lens but it appears to go for well over £300 on fleebay which is too much for me as a possible "bash it" lens!!. Kind regards Graham.

I just read the bit about focus on 6yd box... lay down? I focus on 6yd box then put camera on floor.. its not going to be that far out and didnt need to be exact anyway.. I take a pic while its on floor.. pick it up have a look until i get it about straight..

Glad to hear that works ok. I'm looking round for a cheap Mk IIN to give it a go.

Son no 2 also wants to start taking photos so a Mk IIN will be a good starter camera for him to learn on.

I just read the bit about focus on 6yd box... lay down? I focus on 6yd box then put camera on floor.. its not going to be that far out and didnt need to be exact anyway.. I take a pic while its on floor.. pick it up have a look until i get it about straight..

Agreed, but with my DX crop & only an 18mm I need to centralise/position the image a bit more!, I've taken the plunge & bought an 90 degree Angle finder now so with a bit of "knee plastic" no more trouser wetness:D.

As previously said
Kipax - how about the samyung 14mm. I have one for my 5d mk3. At f8 for about 6 feet distance you get focus from 2 foot to infinity. Fully manual so just set and shoot. I paid £265 for mine new.

I was in littlecote house with mine yesterday, so easy and if you need the light it goes to f2.8. Super wide on full frame.

Go for it Rob!,
Manual focus is the name of the game so focus lagg etc isn't an issue, sharpness is!!
Post your settings/results we can all learn(y). Kind regards Graham.

Ok buying a Mk IIN from the forum so will pair that with the old 20-35/28. It may not get here before my first game on Sat but I will experiment and try to get it sorted. I have a Gorilla pod so will pop it on there.

Son no2 wants a camera to learn on so it can be dual purpose.

What f stop you guys using?

Remotes are great but a bit time consuming to set them and pack after the game and sort out photos.

Remember the most important goal of the football season 2011/2012 when S. Aguero scored title winning goal for Man City? There was a remote photo of that goal all over in papers!

While at Carlisle Utd friendly i misses a goal - focus sliped on the background so didn't use that photo. Remotes saved my day because I had the goal covered :)
Have a look, last 2 pictures in the gallery are mine:
http://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/news/article/galleryannanfriendly19july13-934451.aspx
That photo was taken with ancient Canon 20D and it's kit lens 18-55mm at 18mm then cropped. Ok, sunny evening helped a lot.

I tried remotes at 3 previous games and I'm very keen on using them more. Not as good results, but have a look:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportsphotos123/

I'm trying it at the moment. I use 2x Canon 20D for remotes, the kit lens 18-55 and Sigma 18-50 both at 18mm, each set close to a different goal post.
I have the whole goal from left to right and a bit on the sides covered with those 2 remotes :) Extra gear to carry, but great to use.
Probably nobody else uses 2 remotes, unless big game, but I don't care. Happy with my idea and I'm glad to see it working.

Kipax, I might be at Carlisle v Blackburn match so I could show you my remote set up, but not sure yet.

ony just fully looked at this. thats a great pic from behing the goals in that friendly :)

was you at the carlisle game?

i have a 17-40 lens now but no spare camera.. i am thinking of a cheapo 20d or as gregory suggests maybe a 50d... will 17-40 be wide enuff i wonder. cant afford a full frame :(

Gary's about spot on Rob my images where f6.7

Tony,
I don't know what the crop factor is on a Canon? but my 18mm is a struggle on a Nikon DX which has a crop factor of 1.5!!.
On a lot of grounds you can get away with moving it back but it does then become vunerable :shake:. AI guy next to me set up a canon 10-22 lens on his! dunno how much they are?.
Sigmas version is tempting but give it a couple of months & TBH i think it'll be useless anyway given the limited apature!:shrug:. Kind regards Graham.

1.3 crop on a canon.. i already ahve the 17-40 lens and its f4.. i cant use this at most matches I go to. no chance at stanley games... but thought a 100 quid 20d..on a sunny day at a ground wiht plenty of room.. worth a punt.. will have the lens anyways so outlay just the 100 quid for the days i could use it..

ony just fully looked at this. thats a great pic from behing the goals in that friendly :)

was you at the carlisle game?

Thanks Tony, they're not great, but good enough to be published.

See, I don't have a licence and I was only helping a friend photographer who does Carlisle Utd matches. First 42 photos in that gallery are hers. I did a few pre-season friendlies and that's it for me, back to non league and sunday league.

Unless you'd need some help, would sort me accreditation and pay some decent money to cover some games for you?? ;)

Just tested the Phottix remotes indoors and they worked so need to test over what distance they work.

Off to Millwall vs Huddersfield on the train so I don't have to worry about the car getting nicked...

Are you setting it up as an opposing goal cam Rob?.
If so grabbing the "stunning Scissor kick goal from Vaughn" (a trade mark of his), may be hard to retreave at half time :).
My cam was set up to cover the same goal I was covering so I could replace the card in seconds at half time & wire the goal pic etc at the same time as my "outside" shots!. so 50+ yards is not a problem on most triggers!.

Have a good un! :). Kind regards Graham

Camera will be whichever end I am at. I will need to experiment with the range at some point.

Media room at Millwall is on the second floor. Carrying up the Peli case with everything in is flippin 'ard work for an old man like me :thumbsdown:

Will go pitch side in half an hour and try and set it all up.

Camera will be whichever end I am at. I will need to experiment with the range at some point.
Media room at Millwall is on the second floor. Carrying up the Peli case with everything in is flippin 'ard work for an old man like me :thumbsdown:
QUOTE].

Have a good game Rob, but this is why I ditched my Peli cases!, almost every ground I now cover, I must, carry my gear both up to,the press room, & then down from!, to the pich!! I cannot believe the set up at most grounds for photographers:shake:. we are, IMHO, (no doubt), classed as 2nd class media fodder!.
I really need a Peli case for both protection + seating given the newer higher digi boards:wacky:. but will continue to get a bigger better fishing seat until they don't reach!, by then we'll be reserving "ladder" sites like in the Royal Birth :p. Kind regards Graham.

Told you he'd score Rob! ok not the scissor kick but hey!!. How did it go?. Graham.

Yes he scored at the other end....

On the 70-200 I missed a blinding save by the Huddersfield keeper and I had great shots of the Keogh shooting near the end but I think he shot over. Shame as no one else on my side.

On the remote camera got one good save by the Huddersfield keeper and a so so shot of the Millwall keeper. So def worth persisting with I think.

At Charlton next week but apparently they have changed their advertising boards which are now much thinner and a bit dicey for gorilla pods so I'm told. The 20mm lens was fine at Millwall as I could go back 8ft but much closer at Charlton.

Posh protection :LOL:

p1853554198-4.jpg

Back