Behind the goals

Think we've got the old hoardings at Sparrows Lane!

I did put it on the headings but it was a bit wobbly. I believe the old ones were better for putting gorilla pods on.

Remotes stopped working on Sat. No idea why. Will double check batteries before this Sat.

Anyone getting good results?

Underwater perhaps lol

Son no2 has a friendly on st the moment.

He's on the right wing but thought I'd set the remote up just in case he gets on front of goal.

Set it up at the end they normally shoot to first.

Yep you guessed it they are shooting the other way first. Can't be arsed to drag all the gear to the other end.

Wonder if the light will hold for the second half!!

Still need to keep practising.

p1652638157-4.jpg

Just got a magic arm from eBay. The clamp will hopefully grip the boards behind the goals at Charlton or the stantions behind the boards. The Gorillapod is just a bit too iffy on the boards. At Millwall this Saturday so the Gorillapod will do. Week after is Charlton vs Millwall so will feedback after.

p2062831675-4.jpg

hmm how much was that arm ?

hmm how much was that arm ?

Tony,

Not sure on that one specifically but I bought an as new one (ie unused) from eBay for £58 + P&P. That setup with the superclamp is £125 new.

Took me a couple of months to get a good one at a low price - as usual on eBay you see a real variance mainly depending on the quality of images, honesty of description and time of auction end. I had a saved search with it sent to me daily.

Mine was a steal though - mainly because it went up as a Buy-it-now.

Average seems to be £75-80. You can get that setup without the super clamp for about £90 on amazon.

Tony I got 2 for £118 inc P&P. Mine are well used though and they are heavy as well.

The guy said he had more to go on in the next few weeks, so keep an eye out.

New they are £108.99 inc P&P on eBay

They are supposed to be able to take 3Kgs. For behind the goals that won't be a problem at all. I also reckon depending on the angle you set it, it could easily take a 1D with a 70-200 as well. I would try it but its chucking it down outside.

Do you think that making the support more rigid, that any impact will have more of a damaging effect than if it were free standing ?

Absolutely Tug. IMO a ball hitting the lens from the side would certainly rip it off the camera and straight on I reckon it would rip the bottom off the camera as well.

However it will be behind the goal so I should be able to have it far enough away from the net. It would be possible of course, for a lousy striker to hit it from the side with a wayward cross from the byline. I would be contacting him with the repair bill :D

I will only be able to try it out for the first time next Sat for the game at the Valley against Millwall, so I will report back then. At Millwall tomorrow there is so much room behind the goal that I will use the Gorillapod (and there is nothing to hang the Magic arm off anyway).

It might help if the battery doesn't run out. Forgot to check the charge.

So it worked fine for the first half and a.bit of the second. So I missed 3 goals going in - doh

No
There is a photo here but it's not showing for some reason.

good job it isnt.. rules remember? :)

I have put a link in even though I know it's frowned up..

hmm bit far away? the ones i see in paper.. the goalie is a lot closer.. if you see what i mean..

Ah thanks Tony.

I have the camera a fair distance back to get the whole goal in. Any ideas?

Kelly

I see you said you were going to try some behind the goal stuff. Have you tried it yet?

Do you want me to bring the spare Magic arm to Charlton on Sat? Fingers crossed they will work well with the hoardings.

Not yet, haven't got my 2nd body back yet :crying:

Has it gone on holiday?

Haha, you could say that. It's getting a shiny new shutter. Was supposed to have it back by now but not heard from the company yet

Ah never mind. You can see it when I try to attach it.

Having said that I'll go to the Millwall end and you'll probably sit at lazy arse corner :LOL:

That's lazy arse corner where all the published images came from at the last match - where I wasn't :bang:

:LOL:

Anyone here tried one in night games?

On TV I saw quite a few at the Swansea vs Liverpool game last night.

Hmm

Had a couple of nice shots but phew it's a struggle on the 1D IIN at a night game.

Was shooting at 1/640 F/4 and ISO 1600.

Ok I'm not exactly saying that they are the best shots in the world but here are three from last night at Millwall.

Tom Ince beats David Forde http://josephmeredith.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Millwall-v-Blackpool/G0000lyo.2BTrDMA/I00005N09p3BteqU/C0000i2Nl5V.VXKA

Nicky Bailey scores Millwall's second - pretty weak this one though http://josephmeredith.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Millwall-v-Blackpool/G0000lyo.2BTrDMA/I0000tPVDQGA9WIY/C0000i2Nl5V.VXKA

Steve Morison gets Millwall's third http://josephmeredith.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Millwall-v-Blackpool/G0000lyo.2BTrDMA/I0000ZibBRUUbzqc/C0000i2Nl5V.VXKA

I'm on my Ipad Robin and cannot see exif data on the linked images. What FL were these taken with ?

20mm

Yep a 1D MkIIN so 1.3 crop.

I've been following this thread, and have just been watching a live webcast by an American Sports photographer called Kevin Jairaj on Creative Live. He talked about various sports tips, but talked about shooting remotely, and showed the Manfrotto Variable Friction Arm.

Apparently this arm can be manipulated in various directions but then locked into place with one large adjustable knob. Not only the angle of the joint locked, but the camera on the ball joint holding the camera, and the joint which would have a clamp on too with the one knob. I thought it was very clever. :)

His segment of the should be re-broadcast at about 1.30 - 2.30 am tonight/tomorrow morning should anyone want to see it. He showed some very good results from the remote camera. (y)

Redhed look back.a.page at the photo I put on of the Magic arm. Same thing really.

I would like to see the Web cast but not at that time in the morning.

I saw it, but didn't think it worked in the same way, locking all the joints from the central adjustable knob. :shrug:

Basically exactly the same with one exception.

The one in Robin's photo has a lever which locks all three joints on/off and the other version of the magic arm has a variable locking dial which gradually tightens the three joints through to a full lock.

Thanks for clearing that up Mike.

On mine it is a quite hard to hold everything in the right place when tightening it.

Well here it was in action at Charlton today.

The 20-35 is not quite wide enough but you have to go with what you have.

p1906401093-4.jpg

Cobblers.

Remotes were fine when I put the camera down at Palace today but somehow didn't work when the action started :bang:

Nice to have a clear shot.

Stew I do agree with you but I think there is place for both.

Back