Best shows on Prime/Netflix?

I thought squid game was OK nothing special just can't see what all the hype was about.
Bosch on prime was much better imo

I'm looking forward to "Invasion" on Apple on Friday.

I'm also very disappointed with "Foundation" on Apple. It's as if someone off their head drunk or on drugs heard about the books and wrote the series. What a shame.

We watched the first few episodes of "Invasion" on Apple. It's not outstanding but it's holding our interest so far.

I've mostly been watching the X files on Disney+.
I have all nine series from the original run on DVD and have watched them all the way through a couple of times, though not for about a decade. Still think it was inventive and compelling TV.

I thought squid game was OK nothing special just can't see what all the hype was about.
Bosch on prime was much better imo

It was different I guess, but it has been way over hyped. I watched it before it really blew up, someone mentioned it in here and it sounded interesting - I binged it over a weekend and then it started to get mad hype - I might have been turned off by that tbh, anytime a series gets mad hype they often turn out to be meh.

I thought it a low budget, poor imitation hunger games
Last year we watched Alice in borderland which was ok. Sodecided to not watched squid game because it felt like it was going to be fairly similar. "people having to kill each other in games" sort of plot.

Helpful guys! Looks a bit too polished and style over substance but i might give it a go.

I'm still watching just to try and get through it but the changes to the story and the contrivances annoy me as do the more woke on message aspects and the repeated meaningless gobbledegook proverb type things presumably aimed at teenage level viewers. I do wish they'd stuck more to the books.

It was different I guess, but it has been way over hyped. I watched it before it really blew up, someone mentioned it in here and it sounded interesting - I binged it over a weekend and then it started to get mad hype - I might have been turned off by that tbh, anytime a series gets mad hype they often turn out to be meh.

I'm about 3/4 through and definitely agree it was overhyped, but I've still enjoyed it especially in the native language (I just can't get on with dubbing). I like the variety of contestants, although rather cliché, and the mystery element of it. I think it was made during the pandemic as well, so there may have been some challenges.

We have Netflix and Prime, I find I watch NF much more so as they have the better selection of docu's for me, it's hard to find anything decent on Prime [for me] outside of The Boys when it's back, maybe I'll watch the 2nd season of Clarkson's farm but beyond that ... meh [we get Prime free with Amazon prime which we do use a lot so it's not a question of getting rid] -

Wondering if Disney+ is worth trying over Christmas? I can't find full listing of what they have on there, can anyone tell me does it have a decent selection of documentaries? [Nature/war/murder types] - And for the ladies of the house, a good selection of chick flicks/comedy/drama movies and/or series? Also any deals going for Disney atm?

We have a decent Android box that runs pretty much anything in full HD without hic-up so the Disney/pixar movies might just be worth it alone?

We have Netflix and Prime, I find I watch NF much more so as they have the better selection of docu's for me, it's hard to find anything decent on Prime [for me] outside of The Boys when it's back, maybe I'll watch the 2nd season of Clarkson's farm but beyond that ... meh [we get Prime free with Amazon prime which we do use a lot so it's not a question of getting rid] -

Wondering if Disney+ is worth trying over Christmas? I can't find full listing of what they have on there, can anyone tell me does it have a decent selection of documentaries? [Nature/war/murder types] - And for the ladies of the house, a good selection of chick flicks/comedy/drama movies and/or series? Also any deals going for Disney atm?

We have a decent Android box that runs pretty much anything in full HD without hic-up so the Disney/pixar movies might just be worth it alone?

Disney+ includes a lot of National Geographic material.

I've given up on both "Foundation" and "Invasion" on Apple as both are IMO big missed opportunities but everyone here did like a picture on Apple called "Finch."

We also liked "The Good Doctor" about a young surgeon with Autism which is on Amazon but also on catchup.

Dopesick on NowTV is excellent, dramatised version of the Oxycontin scandal in the US.

Stark reminder that big pharma must never be allowed to infiltrate the NHS

Watching the Wheel of time on Prime. I’ve read 8 of the books, 6 to go. It’ll be a long series if they cover them all!
Shaping up reasonably well.

Watching the Wheel of time on Prime. I’ve read 8 of the books, 6 to go. It’ll be a long series if they cover them all!
Watched the first couple last night. It’s well done although it seemed very derivative (like the ferry scene, which looked straight out of Lord of the Rings). I haven’t read the books so those bits might be straight out of the pages? I haven’t really taken to any of the characters yet, they seem a bit one dimensional so far.

I read all of the books nearly ten years ago and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Not the sort of thing I read normally, but having read the first one to 'test the water', I was hooked.

I've watched the first few episodes, but as is always the case; they've missed far too much out of the story so the background and understanding is lost. I think they could have corrected this quite easily with a narration. Still, whatever is produced for the American market can't be too cerebral or require a good attention span can it? :rolleyes:

We watched a few episodes of "See" on apple. It's set in a sort of bronze age future in which everyone is blind. I really didn't fancy this but it's not as bad as I thought although one thing I wonder about is how they gather food to eat and I haven't seen anyone eat anything yet. Be warned that there are some pretty cringeworthy sex act scenes. I don't think we'll watch any more.

Normally I'm "up" for this type of series" I watched the first three a couple of weeks ago, I watched #4 last night.
I doubt I'll watch #5 I'm fast losing interest :(

Last edited:
I watched Wrath of Man Jason Statham last night ( Prime video)
Typical kill 'em all let God sort 'em out type thing.

Not his best film but it past a couple of hours.

Maybe a bit sad at my age, but thoroughly enjoying Hawkeye on Disney.
Also just finished the final series of Lost In Space, enjoyed that too.

Typical kill 'em all let God sort 'em out type thing.

Not his best film but it past a couple of hours.

I'd never heard of him until recently but we've watched a few of his on Amazon now and they're watchable action pictures, I certainly seen worse.

I'd never heard of him until recently but we've watched a few of his on Amazon now and they're watchable action pictures, I certainly seen worse.
He has made some good ones, as a heads up, if you haven't seen them the Mechanic 1& 2 are very watchable.
( and no its not about cars )
Its a sorta remake of the Charles Bronson early '70's film, equally watchable.

He has made some good ones, as a heads up, if you haven't seen them the Mechanic 1& 2 are very watchable.
( and no its not about cars )
Its a sorta remake of the Charles Bronson early '70's film, equally watchable.

Mrs WW is more of the action film fan but I have to say every picture with him in it as the main character has been watchable action fun.

I’m enjoying Wheel of Time (on Prime). Bit of a cross between Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings story wise, but it has its own flavour. I’m up to episode 6, it’s gathering pace well and the characters are developing nicely.

I’m enjoying Wheel of Time (on Prime). Bit of a cross between Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings story wise, but it has its own flavour. I’m up to episode 6, it’s gathering pace well and the characters are developing nicely.

I'm going to check that out, thanks!

The baddies in episode 1 are called The Trollocks
I must admit they made me chuckle too :D

But as I said above
Normally I'm "up" for this type of series" I watched the first three a couple of weeks ago, I watched #4 last night.
I doubt I'll watch #5 I'm fast losing interest :(

Been watching Dopesick, very good mini series [I guess you call it that with just 8 episodes?] based on the Oxycontin scandal of the 90's - 2000's in the States. Solid performances by Michael Keaton and Michael Stuhlbarg in particular but a solid cast all-round. Atm I think Prime only has the first 6 episodes as they're releasing them one per week but all 8 can be found on Hulu

Been watching Dopesick, very good mini series [I guess you call it that with just 8 episodes?] based on the Oxycontin scandal of the 90's - 2000's in the States. Solid performances by Michael Keaton and Michael Stuhlbarg in particular but a solid cast all-round. Atm I think Prime only has the first 6 episodes as they're releasing them one per week but all 8 can be found on Hulu
I recommended that before I think, but yes its excellent and also terrifying how powerful big pharma is over there.
There is also a documentary called The Crime Of The Century about the Opioid scandal, but I thought watching it might spoil the dramatised series

I recommended that before I think, but yes its excellent and also terrifying how powerful big pharma is over there.
There is also a documentary called The Crime Of The Century about the Opioid scandal, but I thought watching it might spoil the dramatised series

I'm not usually big on medical dramas, I think the last one I watched was House - but, my partner suffers a long term illness and among a bunch of other pills has been on Oxy[norm] pills for a number of years. I know from collecting her scripts how intense and secure that type of medication is handled here these days. Her prescription is always in the safe out back of the pharmacy for example, and the pharmacist will give me a run down of the dangers involved [mostly because of the other drugs she has to use alongside], every time I collect. They know that I fully understand at this stage [they know me on a first name basis long by now] and that it is prescribed for a serious chronic pain condition but they are obliged to inform. To think it was so freely available in the States not all too long ago is scary, with docs and pharmacists pushing rather than practising extreme caution is just crazy. If this was a completely fictional drama we'd say 'that would never happen, ridiculous!'

I'm not usually big on medical dramas, I think the last one I watched was House
If you liked that you may also like the good Dr.
Freddie Highmore as Dr. Shaun Murphy, a surgical resident with autism..

If you liked that you may also like the good Dr.
Freddie Highmore as Dr. Shaun Murphy, a surgical resident with autism..

Herself watches that one, in fact I don't think there's a medi-drama she doesn't watch! She's been trying to get me to watch the Good Doctor for ages - Maybe I'll give in over the holidays, will have plenty of time for viewing :)

I had high hopes for that, Statham acting and Ritchie directing. I thought it may have produced something as brilliant as Snatch or Lock, Stock were. Sadly it dissapointed

Last edited:
I had high hopes for that, Statham acting and Ritchie directing. Sadly it dissapointed
I too had high hopes on the same grounds,
It was OK.
Did you ever figure out who or what he was supposed to be? that was never explained as far as I could tell?

Unbelievable.
The young actress gives an amazing performance.

I watched episode one of "Tales from the loop" (an American Sci-fi) and thought it was ok but I rarely get to choose what's on telly.

Back