Best to Edit - Apple Mac or Windows PC?

It's not the glare or reflection that bothers me, it's the apparent contrast boost that the glossy finish gives

I don't bother calibrating my display as I rarely print stuff, but it looks like proper calibration will fix any contrast issues.

What do people like and whats good and not

Thanks
I assume you have a computer at home so what are you currently using ?

If you have a PC (windows xxx) then why do you want a Mac ? what attracts you to the Apple camp ?

If you like tinkering, swapping hardware and so on then a PC will be your best option, if you just want to switch the machine on and do your stuff then an iMac will be your best bet. Slightly more expensive, but as Apple designs the hardware and the software they tend to play together nicely, whereas with windows, microsoft has to think about the hundreds of different hardware variations that are out there. Personally, I chose the Apple camp as it has worked for me, although what works for me might not be the best option for you.

^^Apple don't design the hardware though they use an Intel i5 like every other laptop maker.

I see the issue nowadays as os vs os. An apple laptop will contain the exact same hardware as a pc laptop, the same low powered mobile processors and low powered graphics (needs to be run off a battery). Indeed both pc manufacturers and apple now stuff their desktops with the same laptop components as it keeps them nice and slim.

So you use el capitain on an i5 with 8gb of ram or Windows 10 on an i5 with 8gb of ram. You choose your flavour. Apple will be better optimised.

Of course if you build a proper desktop pc with proper cooling and full fat processors and GPU's the laptop powered Apples can't begin to compete ;)

^^Apple don't design the hardware though they use an Intel i5 like every other laptop maker.

I see the issue nowadays as os vs os. An apple laptop will contain the exact same hardware as a pc laptop, the same low powered mobile processors and low powered graphics (needs to be run off a battery). Indeed both pc manufacturers and apple now stuff their desktops with the same laptop components as it keeps them nice and slim.

So you use el capitain on an i5 with 8gb of ram or Windows 10 on an i5 with 8gb of ram. You choose your flavour. Apple will be better optimised.

Of course if you build a proper desktop pc with proper cooling and full fat processors and GPU's the laptop powered Apples can't begin to compete ;)
Cool, tell me where can I buy the chassis and logic boards for the Macbook with that retina display so I can get a generic version? Come to think about it, I think I'll build myself a Mac Pro as well, can you please tell me which generic case and motherboard they've used for that one and send me the links?

Cool, tell me where can I buy the chassis and logic boards for the Macbook with that retina display so I can get a generic version? Come to think about it, I think I'll build myself a Mac Pro as well, can you please tell me which generic case and motherboard they've used for that one and send me the links?
I think we both know I'm talking about the actual processing hardware not the fancy cases, you can always build a hackintosh. Not difficult is it!

You can always build a hackintosh PC , best of both, high spec hardware and a nicer OS.

LOL just pretty much duplicated the above message, I really should read the whole thread before posting :rolleyes:

I think we both know I'm talking about the actual processing hardware not the fancy cases, you can always build a hackintosh. Not difficult is it!
Cool, so please show me the links to the hardware that they didn't design and where I can buy exactly those components?

Let's compromise and ignore the enclosure and cool system design.

I'm running a Dell M4800 and have a MacAir & MacPro at home.

Although this machine (Dell) is much more powerful than the Macs, they are still my go-to machines due to their OS and lighter weight.

This thing weighs about 639kg and that' why I leave it docked up with a 24" screen (also Dell).

in your opinion ;)
Very true, my wife is still using a PC running Windows 8, I really can't get along with it. To me it's been designed to run on a touch screen, it doesn't seem to me to be easy used with keyboard and mouse. OSX just works (for me)

Having played around with the Expert Mode settings, contrast can definitely be adjusted.

I also found this page http://www.displaycalibration.com/brightness_contrast.html and with the default colour profile I can still see the difference in shade in all three boxes.

You can adjust contrast, but a glossy screen gives a contrast boost, the calibration device is reading the screen including the contrast boost. So if you then display it on a non-glossy medium, the contrast won't be the same.

Not a Mac vs PC thing either, PC laptops have awful glossy screens too.

Cool, so please show me the links to the hardware that they didn't design and where I can buy exactly those components?

Let's compromise and ignore the enclosure and cool system design.

Genuine question, other than the motherboard, is there any part you can't just buy? Certainly the CPU and GPU are standard ones unless something has massively changed in the last year or so.

Not necessarily so when you compare like for like. It maybe if certain components aren't important to you and you are willing to compromise so it fits your requirements. A comment so often made but I've never ever been able to spec up an equivalent significantly cheaper.

My PC: 6 core (12 threads) i7 3960X@ 5GHz. 32GB DDR3 @ 2133MHz. NVidia GTX980 4GB. 1TB SSD Boot drive and 4TB additional internal storage. Corsair 450D case. Corsair 1.05KW gold standard PSU. Rampage Extreme IV motherboard. Water cooled. Additional Nvidia GT720 to drive second screen. 2x DVD/Blu Ray writers. Logitech G110 keyboard. Logitech G5 mouse. Internal multi-standard card reader. Additional 3.5inch hot swap hard drive dock. USB3.0 equipped on all ports (17 of them.. yes you read that right... seventeen). Total Price when new was a smidge under £2800.

Mac Pro: 6 Core (12 threads) i7 @ 3.5GHz. (slower... and a Xeon... for no good reason). 32GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz. 1TB SSD only... no extra storage. AMD Fire Pro 500 3GB. Crap Magic Mouse. Crap Mac style laptop keyboard. A case that looks like a trash can. No optical drives because Apple has decided you don't need them any more. No card reader(s). Only 4 USB 3.0 ports. £4364.

Guess which is actually faster.

Yeah.. you guessed it... and it's actually now 5 years old... and STILL kicks the Mac Pro into next week.

Macs are a rip off. Stop being a snob... build a proper computer :)

Last edited:
My mini i5 self build was below half the price of the cheapest Mac mini. Which I actually considered out of curiosity. But the price put me off.

David
I think you forgot to mention the OS :) after all what is the point in having the greatest specced computer in the world with a quirky OS on it. To be fair, its not all about the processor, memory and graphics, its how they are used. ;)

David
I think you forgot to mention the OS :) after all what is the point in having the greatest specced computer in the world with a quirky OS on it. To be fair, its not all about the processor, memory and graphics, its how they are used. ;)

I wonder what could be defined as a non-quirky OS?

This could go on forever.. Most Professional Designers, Photographers, Web Designers, Graphic Designers use IMac's or MacBooks. Apart from the ODD few :)

This could go on forever.. Most Professional Designers, Photographers, Web Designers, Graphic Designers use IMac's or MacBooks. Apart from the ODD few :)

There were some very good reasons for that at one time, but these days it's just habit, familiarity and laziness. Most software houses produce programs for both platforms that work the same. It's different in Music, where some software is still Mac-exclusive, but that's also an area where 'mojo' is often a stronger selling point than function.

I agree. Totally. However having used both. Personally I prefer Apple products. Build Quality, Aesthetics, usability, operating software, Great screens,They seem to have less issues with Virus threats. Better depreciation, Just nice to use in general. Although I must admit recently the latest OS has not been without its problems.

I agree. Totally. However having used both. Personally I prefer Apple products. Build Quality, Aesthetics, usability, operating software, Great screens,They seem to have less issues with Virus threats. Better depreciation, Just nice to use in general. Although I must admit recently the latest OS has not been without its problems.

Out of interest, what problems are you having? I'm not having any issues with it ATM.

I would always recommend to go and try before you buy. However now that Photoshop has gone CC Apple stores don't have any decent photo editing apps. Photo's is really a bit too basic. Either PC or Mac option would be OK it's just what you prefer and can afford. One point to bear in mind Mac's are becoming more and more un upgradable. memory is soldered onto the logic boards ( Except iMac 27" ) The mini which is a nice machine is all SSD ( except one model) so memory and storage upgrade on the unit itself is not really possible. However extra storage is an inexpensive option with and external drive. Buy a well spec'd mini and you have a good machine. ( don't forget you'll need a keyboard and mouse as well as these don't come as standard with a mini). You've then the choice of screen. The Apple Thunderbolt display is getting long in the tooth now, so a Dell one would be nice.

Wow 17 USB Ports!! That's amazing. Must be better than a Mac. ;)

No.. it's better than a Mac.. because it's better than a Mac. A wealth of connectivity is just a bonus. You can't have enough connectivity.

Awww.. bless... a typical passively aggressive defensive Mac owner. Aren't they just the cutest thing? LOL

macs are nice enough, but they're just expensive on a price vs. performance basis. As for aesthetics... they all look the same. Boring. Your iMac looks exactly like everyone else's iMac. Why be a sheep? Build a machine that looks exactly how you want it. There's a mind bending array of case designs for PCs, from full size server towers to things smaller than a Mac Mini.. all materials, designs, colours. Why settle for the unimaginative option of something completely identical to everyone else's?

Last edited:
David

I don't have a quirky OS. It works flawlessly.

Gosh, there's a lot of vitriol on here tonight.

The best machine for editing is the one that allows you to do the work you need in a timely fashion. The rest is personal choice.

I prefer to use a Mac, but I could just as easily use a PC.

I'm not sure why I'd ever need 17 USB ports at the same time though :D.

Last edited:
But macs are better than PCs though, as windows is rubbish. Linux should be the future.

When I did my research and it was nearly six years ago when I compared what I wanted out of a desk top then the actual difference on price was about £100.
Given this evenings problems at sis in laws with her pc then what a great decision to go mac. This is the about the tenth major problem I have had to look at with it.
If you want a good machine to do pp then look at a Mac. As I said earlier go and compare pc world do both.

Right folks - that's about 5 warnings for inappropriate behaviour dished out.

Pookeyhead and Oxford_Matt will not be returning to this debate... Seems Matt will have to find some other thread to post in to bump up his classifieds postings ratio and regain access to trading.

Now... I'm going to run the hoover over this thread and get rid of some of the childish bickering. Can we then keep it civil please.

ETA: 18 posts of foolishness removed as well - we REALLY excelled ourselves this time didn't we!

Last edited:
Now the thread has got boring again, perhaps the OP question could be asked in a slightly different way:

Which functions or benefits of the different platforms are particularly useful to photo editing? Is there anything that would sway a photographer's choice? As I don't know of anything.
I'm looking for real, objective benefits and not subjective things.

Last edited:
Back