Best to Edit - Apple Mac or Windows PC?

Same applications surely means it's the same difference. Everything else is down to personal preference. I use both. Prefer OS X as it can deal with 4K screens much better by scaling the UI elements without scaling the picture window. Besides that no real difference.

Same applications surely means it's the same difference. Everything else is down to personal preference. I use both. Prefer OS X as it can deal with 4K screens much better by scaling the UI elements without scaling the picture window. Besides that no real difference.
:agree:

Hmmm having the same issue at the moment.

PC is about ready to give up the ghost. Trying to decide if I should make the move to Apple or stay with Windows.

Personally I prefer using Apple over PC.
However its really the Monitor/Display thats important assuming you have a fast/nice spec pc.

I think IPS Monitors are good for editing from memory.

Reactions: Nod
Personally buy Windows and pump the extra into a really great monitor like the dells.

I went for a refurbished Mac mini (2012 version with quad i7 and 16gb ram)and dell ips screen (coming from a Windows PC) and love the combination and it's pretty quick.

I suppose the next question Macbook or Imac or Mini Mac with a very good monitor

Do you need a computer you can use on the road without a separate monitor? If yes then Macbook, but if no then Mini + good external monitor.

To answer your first question as others have, there's no real difference with the same apps, provided you can manage the OS instead of the other way round.

My advice go to a store and try both systems out. Take memory stick and look at both systems. In the end it's what suits you

Or maybe dinnae fash yersel too much. They both work.

What is good for one isn't right for another. Best to try before you buy.

I agree with the people who say that it is really down to whatever application you want to use. If you want to use something like Adobe Premiere Pro and are going to invest in one of their subscription packages then it really does not matter. Personally I switched to Apple about 6 years ago after many many years of being on Windows. It took a bit of getting used to but I now prefer the way that Apple do things. Price - in terms of price, Apple does come at a premium (not as much as you might think if you look at like-for-like products) but I have found that their computers have a much higher resale value.

Apple's net profit margin on each product sold is enough to deter me. :)
That said, the best thing I ever did in improving the quality of my photographs was buy an ASUS PA248Q.

ASIDE: Quality TN monitors are better than budget IPS monitors. I'd always recommend IPS, but buying a monitor just because it is IPS without looking further into it isn't the way to go.

Last edited:
Having endless problems with windows a friend eventually persuaded me to get a mac.
I picked up a near new mini mac as it was probably my cheapest route to a mac and I was able to use my existing monitor.
And I have never looked back now have a 27"imac and a MacBook Pro and they have never missed a beat or given me any headaches or problems :):):) Priceless !
It took a little time to get used to it but it soon becomes 2nd nature !

Last edited:
you get better bang for your buck hardware specification wise if you choose pc.

you get better bang for your buck hardware specification wise if you choose pc.
Not necessarily so when you compare like for like. It maybe if certain components aren't important to you and you are willing to compromise so it fits your requirements. A comment so often made but I've never ever been able to spec up an equivalent significantly cheaper.

It's quite dfficult to spec up identical machines between the OSs because apple have one take on specs while PC makers usually have another. There are exceptions - my Dell XPS was about £500 cheaper than the nearest equivalent Macbook mid 2014, both new and through the refurb store, but spec still vary. In the end it wasn't just the price differential that sold me a PC, but the ability to upgrade later on that saved me having to buy the very highest spec'd machine at the start - and that was worth quite a bit. I do occasionally wonder if I'd have been better spending the extra on the Mac - better battery life, better trackpad - but the difference isn't worth that much.

And it has been really nice to be back on Windows again after 6 years of OSX.

Exactly and as you say whilst there was a saving it was at the cost of something. Whether that something is worth it is a very individual decision to which there couldn't possibly be a blanket answer.

Exactly and as you say whilst there was a saving it was at the cost of something. Whether that something is worth it is a very individual decision to which there couldn't possibly be a blanket answer.

Quite. The Dell also had an arguably better screen (higher resolution than retina) more USB 3 ports, DVI and minidisplay ports (no need for expensive thunderbolt cables) and a next business day onsite warranty (Applecare is RTB, as I know to my cost).

They aren't the same, and there's no use just comparing processing power, memory and storage capacity alone.

Its not its not just about spec it's how the hardware handles it a PC with 16gb of ram will perform like a Mac with 8gb you cannot compare them like for like. Financially the Mac is actually better value by the time you get a windows based machine up to the same performance. (Note performance not spec!) At the end of the day they will both edit photos and video, but macs in all their forms are generally designed and built better than windows based machines. I really tried recently to buy a Windows based laptop for my photo and video work but they just don't compare in the real world and price wise are pretty even at the top end. They are the choice of creative professionals for a reason. This thread will just turn into the Mac fanboy versus PCs fanboy as they always do! Oh and don't forget resale values I recently sold my old MacBook Pro for just short of £400. I paid £1200 over 7 years ago! Let's see anyone get that with a Windows laptop(if it's still running)

Its not its not just about spec it's how the hardware handles it a PC with 16gb of ram will perform like a Mac with 8gb you cannot compare them like for like. Financially the Mac is actually better value by the time you get a windows based machine up to the same performance. (Note performance not spec!) At the end of the day they will both edit photos and video, but macs in all their forms are generally designed and built better than windows based machines.
I use Kubuntu on my PC, and performance is excellent and and the price was a long way below the poorest spec Mac price. There's not just Windows out there.

Got any supporting evidence for that claim?
As I said I tried to buy a Windows based laptop to try and save money. I tested the best available from several manufacturers and none could match the MacBook Pro.( even at the same and higher price)I'm not some sort of Windows hater. I require the best tools for the job and the Mac is it.

What do people like and whats good and not
Thanks
I think people can use what they are happier using. Windows, Mac, Linux or whatever. There is no best one for everyone. They all have their differences, and their fanboys who will be busy convincing themselves.

Me? I want the best of all worlds. All in one.

Last edited:
Have they put a matte screen on it yet?

I hate editing on on glossy screens, bleurgh.

Still glossy, but not as much as the non-retina displays. It's fairly easy to adjust the ambient lighting to prevent glare/reflection.

Still glossy, but not as much as the non-retina displays. It's fairly easy to adjust the ambient lighting to prevent glare/reflection.

It's not the glare or reflection that bothers me, it's the apparent contrast boost that the glossy finish gives

Back