Beginner Best Tripod?

Name
Ciaran
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a sturdy but lightweight tripod for landscape photography? I bought one in April for about £80 but it has lot's of limitations and I'm ready to invest in one that I can use for years. Don't mind spending between £200-300 as it'll be a great investment.

Is the budget for just the legs or a head too? Have look at manfrotto 055 series, their carbon fibre range should be within that budget. Gitzo are probably the best out there but probably out of your budget unless you can find an older model still lying about unsold in a shop. They were selling off the older model last September for about half price due to the new models being released. There were still a few around about at the start of this year.

Is the budget for just the legs or a head too? Have look at manfrotto 055 series, their carbon fibre range should be within that budget. Gitzo are probably the best out there but probably out of your budget unless you can find an older model still lying about unsold in a shop. They were selling off the older model last September for about half price due to the new models being released. There were still a few around about at the start of this year.

I was hoping for all in around £300 but I posted in the landscape section and someone posted a Benro Mach link. I might have to extend my budget so I can get a decent head too (the best of both worlds) Thanks for replying to my post. Do they release new models around the same time each year?

I was hoping for all in around £300 but I posted in the landscape section and someone posted a Benro Mach link. I might have to extend my budget so I can get a decent head too (the best of both worlds) Thanks for replying to my post. Do they release new models around the same time each year?
I don't think they release new models each year, tripod design doesn't really change that much other than some material/very minor shape design change. There are several years between new models. It's worth looking into second models as there are some bargains to be had if you can fine a little used example.

I bought a Vanguard Alta pro,cannot fault it.Not a lightweight tripod by any means.But worth a consideration.

Get to a local shop and try out as many as possible. Make a list of requirements.
See what kind of leg locks you prefer? do you need something that can go close to the ground? how heavy will be enough to keep it stable but not too heavy you won't want to carry it?
Have a look online at different tripods and there specifications. No point in having a tripod that will reach eye level but requires the centre column up to do so.

I've ended up with two tripods a Manfrotto 190 for when I want decent stability and not walking too far. And a carbon fibre Giotto's travel one when I want a tripod without the weight of the Manfrotto. But it's definitely not as stable as the Manfrotto.

It depends what camera/lens combo you will use most often. I used to have a Manfrotto 190 and it was great for landscapes with my Mamiya 7 film camera and then my Nikon D7000. But I just got tired lugging it and my DSLR up the hills so when I changed to Olympus micro4/3 I also swapped to a smaller tripod. I'm a big fan of Sirui- they seem to be as good as the Gitzo stuff I have but for much less money. I have the Sirui T-025x, which is tiny (and was all I could afford after buying my camera!). You might be better off looking at the T-024x, which is £230 and comes with a great ballhead. They also do cheaper versions in aluminium. I agree that going to a shop and trying is best though.

Ian

"Lightweight" is possibly a relative term; what one photographer considers lightweight another might consider impossibly heavy. A lot depends on usage...

One tripod I would consider given you mention landscape is the Benbo Trekker (Benbo NOT Benro). For landscape use, the advantages are the very flexible leg arrangement (which some describe as wresting with an octopus, as one catch releases all legs to flop everywhere) and the unusual way that the legs slide in; most tripods collapse the legs inside the upper sections, letting any grit, sand and water enter to cause binding. Benbo tripods collapse the legs into the lower sections, meaning that you can stand then in muddy water and not have to worry when it comes time to pack away - provided the water doesn't come over the bottom section.

I've got a couple of Benbo tripods as well as a Manfrotto carbon fibre and a Gitzo so I haven't any particular axe to grind.

I'm chuffed with my Benro carbon fibre travel tripod for £120. I haven't used it in anger yet but being small and lightweight was important to me as i'm travelling but it seems pretty sturdy and can hold 4kg.

I've just spent a few days with a 3 Legged Thing "Punks - Corey". It's a lightweight "travel" tripod, but has some some cool features (for example one of the legs is detachable to use as a monopod) and feels really sturdy (to me anyway). Well worth a look and they have a range so the Punks start at £140 and their "Pro" ones go north of £350.

www.3leggedthing.com

Back