This a thread of interest to me at the moment.
I have two manfrotto pods, 1 with a grip head the other a three way bog standard.

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the heads moving slightly at the time I lock them.
The pods themselves are sturdy enough though.

I am ignorant of these things to a large extent but would a geared head (whatever that is?) overcome the problem?

It would, but its a weighty bit of kit and most suited to the take your time landscape type photography
A good quality ballhead would remain locked without any of the annoying creep you are describing

Many to choose from, names such as Kirk,Arca,Markins,Sunwayfoto,FLM,Acratech and the list goes on
The standard fitting on the above for Q/R plates is Arca Swiss they come in a wide variety of different shapes and sizes

I fully agree with your observations on movement after locking. I have recently bought a sirue ball head their not too expensive and work very well indeed. I did this after searching online for ball heads tested. I hope this helps,
Kind regards Mike

It's not that easy to find a good group test of the sort of tripods I'm looking for. Was drawn to the 3LT Winston as I wanted fat legs and ideally just three sections with a solid ball head. I have a travel tripod already so really looking for something that will give me full working height without getting down to skinny legs or extended column. Will be using it with Fuji so 3LT winston and head currently sits at £299 which seems a good price. What are the alternatives in this sort of price range? Would need arca head. Sirui are on the radar.

I have the Sirui K40X (complete overkill for your needs) and it is a great design as well as being well made and rigid. Have a look at the K20X.

As to a tripod? It sounds, to me, that a 3 leg section 1 or 2 series Gitzo Mountaineer would fit the bill nicely so long as the collapsed length isn't too critical. Before you dial 999 - do not look at new prices as they get a bit scary! Gitzo tripods are built to last (and spares are available for older models) so have a look at the used market. For landscape and short lens work (up to 300/400mm) I use a Gitzo GT2531 which I have had for 7/8 years and it works perfectly for my needs. Much of the time I use it without the center column as it is just about tall enough without it for most uses and removing the center column allows it to go nice and low. Used ones are still pricey but worth it in my experience.

Just some food for thought?

What about the Manfrotto 190X3 legs and a decent head like the 804 rc 2 head or a 488 rc2 ball head, lightish and will last forever and wont break the bank

Back