Best Value in Canon Lenses

Name
James A Ferrari
Edit My Images
Yes
My biased opinion: the Canon EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS II USM (Nano)
Check out this extensive review below and see what you think,
I have been very impressed and would be happy enough if this had been my only lens.
When matched with the 7Dmkii and implemented in my Hobby of Birding, it is hard to find fault.

There are some Canon "L" lenses that can give you better Image Quality, but for the price, this lens can compete at a whole nother level.
Note: you could jump to the summary if the article appears to be too long to hold your interest.

Surprises me that we do not see more Photographers singing its praises.

Canon EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM review - Introduction - LensTip.com

I'm really not sure about that one because they are rare as hen's teeth on the used market and that can affect the cost.

For me 70-200mm f4 is and 16-35mm f4 is both offer great iq without costing ridiculous money. And also they don't extend like the new plastic RF overpriced toys

I used to have a soft spot for the 20-35mm USM. There was fairly epic distortion but that's relatively easy to correct these days and it was relatively small and light and cheap and the USM worked well. I remember using mine on both my Canon SLR and DSLR cameras.

The old 28-105 USM was brilliant (keep meaning to pick up another).
The 85mm 1.8, the new 50mm STM, the 40mm pancake has its fans (never tried it)

I’d even include the f2 135L, it’s not bargain basement, until you compare it to anything better.

Surely this depends on what your shooting.. Personally I wouldn't give the Canon EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS II USM house room.. totally useless for me..

For the lenses I use the 135mm f2 for the price is knockout.. pin sharp at f2 no matter what distance I focus on..

But for all round bargain best value canon lens.... How would the Nifty Fifty not be number one ? :)

Agree with the 135 F2 assessment, my favourite Canon lens when I used that brand.

I'm really not sure about that one because they are rare as hen's teeth on the used market and that can affect the cost.

For me 70-200mm f4 is and 16-35mm f4 is both offer great iq without costing ridiculous money. And also they don't extend like the new plastic RF overpriced toys

I was speaking to a top UK working pro who's landscape business has still thrived - he shall remain nameless for the purposes of confidentially but let's just say an image of his of Rannoch Moor become quite famous and wound up in the Daily Mail.

I digress - he's shooting with an R5 and even he mentioned the crazy prices of the RF stuff and is looking at the GFX100s system.

As should you.

----8<-----

I am struggling here.. hes looking to change systems.. so his name needs to be kept secret ?

I assume he gets some benefit from his existing marque and therefore doesn't want them to know until he's ready to jump?

----8<-----

I am struggling here.. hes looking to change systems.. so his name needs to be kept secret ?

It was a private chat - I don't wish to share the particulars to a private discussion out of respect to the person and to respect any commercial arrangement they may or may not have with Canon.

I was myself looking at camera systems and was godsmacked by the cost of Canon RF gear. An extra grand and a bit will buy you a body with 55mp more and the lenses in the GF system appear broadly similar in price.

You are a complete mug if you buy into the RF Canon system.

If you cannot afford the GF system and are sold on mirrorless the only worthwhile one is Sony now. Nikon Z stuff is nice but 45mp camera...c'mon Sony have the 50mp A1 and 61mp A7RiV with a lens range to make your eyes water.

I am wedded to DSLR's for now but the only two systems I'd consider are Sony's and Fuji's.

Last edited:
I know nothing about larger than FF formats but the Hasselblad X1D looks lovely.

I know nothing about larger than FF formats but the Hasselblad X1D looks lovely.

Inferior to the GFX100s by 50mp and whilst there are some lovely lens in the Hasselblad line up there's been critism over the layout of the body, bugs and handling. Anyone on here would be better served by the superior GFX100s or cheaper DSLR system by Pentax. The 645z is pleasing me an awful lot indeed but for extreme focal lengths, you are better served by a small sensor system.

I really don't care about mp's but I do care about weight and bulk and as a compact and lovely thing the X1D would get my money, if I had to have one or the other.

The Canon 55-250mm IS series is good value for money. The STM version whilst sharp isn’t as fast to focus as the older version IMO so depending on whether photography or video is more important as to which one you should get.

The best value in terms of a picture sales income vs lens cost for me has been Samyang 24mm 1.4m. The very first picture sold with that lens brought in about 3x the lens cost.

In general I’d vote for the nifty fifty.

“You are a complete mug if you buy into the RF Canon system“ depends what you’re photographing? The animal eye af is superb, if wildlife is your thing.

“You are a complete mug if you buy into the RF Canon system“ depends what you’re photographing? The animal eye af is superb, if wildlife is your thing.

I'm not pushing any particular mirrorless system... but as a type I think they're a major step forward from DSLR's. The face/eye detect, being able to focus anywhere in the frame, the focus consistency and accuracy, the WYSIWYG... it all adds up.

I would expect a lot of Canon users have moved onto the 70-300L IS which is a far better lens.
Once you've tried an L lens there really is no going back.

My biased opinion: the Canon EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS II USM (Nano)
Check out this extensive review below and see what you think,
I have been very impressed and would be happy enough if this had been my only lens.
When matched with the 7Dmkii and implemented in my Hobby of Birding, it is hard to find fault.

There are some Canon "L" lenses that can give you better Image Quality, but for the price, this lens can compete at a whole nother level.
Note: you could jump to the summary if the article appears to be too long to hold your interest.

Canon EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM review - Introduction - LensTip.com
I have one and indeed - love it. It’s that good I even use it via viktrox adapter on my Panasonic GH5! Go figure!

Back