Best way to batch resize

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering what folks do. I've been doing the same way for years. I edit in LR and export full size jpg 100% quality. Which is my sort of "image processed high quality backup files".

But then if i either share online, upload on google image or send via email.
I use a little french software called photofiltre which resize to a desired sized (I usually choose between 1200 and 1600 pixel on the long side depending on the mood/need) all picture in a folder, i usually select the filter sharpen edge too has resizing induce some loss of sharpness.

Would just like to hear what people do.

PS: I cannot be bother to go back to lightroom every time and export each file at different size, that why i do this folder full size 100% quality which is then easy to batch process!

There is almost never a occasion where I will publish my
production batch wise for a client.

For my iPad — where my portfolio is living — at 300 ppi
and 2000 px long side and for TP at 72 ppi at 1200 px
long side, I will batch size both through two
output recipe
preset that I created in my RAW converter.

I just creat an action in Photoshop and then batch process the folder with the action.

As me, do you feel the need to had sharpening while resizing. And a lot of resizing software have a non customisable sharpening filter which is sometime a bit over the top.

Hard drive output plugin allows you to create smart/dumb collections. You can set the output resolution, sharpening etc for the plugin instance as a whole and any files you tag with the right keyword or drag into the right collection will be added to the list to be processed out to the chosen folder in that resolution. Just hit "publish"...

As me, do you feel the need to had sharpening while resizing. And a lot of resizing software have a non customisable sharpening filter which is sometime a bit over the top.
FastStone image viewer (far more than a viewer) does the lot,sharpen,resize,watermark,and more all in one go and you check each photo prior to hitting the button to batch convert all the photos in one go. faststone.jpg

It does all that is listed on the header tool bar above.. All very quickly into a seperate file so the originals are untouched.

Faststone + 1

Just wondering what folks do. I've been doing the same way for years. I edit in LR and export full size jpg 100% quality. Which is my sort of "image processed high quality backup files".

But then if i either share online, upload on google image or send via email.
I use a little french software called photofiltre which resize to a desired sized (I usually choose between 1200 and 1600 pixel on the long side depending on the mood/need) all picture in a folder, i usually select the filter sharpen edge too has resizing induce some loss of sharpness.

Would just like to hear what people do.

PS: I cannot be bother to go back to lightroom every time and export each file at different size, that why i do this folder full size 100% quality which is then easy to batch process!

Working this way is probably not using lightroom to its possible full extent.

No need to export full size JPGs, you can drag and drop the images you are happy with into a collection and simply export at the sizes you want from there (simple to set up a group of presets for your needs, plus you can batch export)... surely that is less bother than using a separate program to resize? Just my opinion mind.

I just use Photoshop and a conditional action incorporating a couple of actions I've had set-up for a while, one for landscape and one for portrait format. I've also used 'image fit' and image processor before too. Very quick and simple, all of these.

for file in *.jpg; do mkdir -p scaled; convert $file -scale "1000x1000>" -quality 95 scaled/$file; done

Then go and make a cup of tea whilst it does however many thousand files.

I have an action set up in photoshop and then I just go through bridge.

I use irfanview for resize and rename, you can do many other parameters at the same time. sharpen, change brightness colour etc as well as changing the file format.
It will do batches of any size. and it is free.... I also use it as my normal picture viewer.

Last edited:
I use BatchPhoto for batch resizing. It's easy to use and quite powerful when it comes to processing. All you have to do is add your photos, enter the new dimensions for width and height and choose your destination folder.

On the PC I use ImageResizer v 3.0...http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

Its a utility that will resize a single or batch. Once installed just a right click on the photo brings up the usual choices including this resize utility.

Mj
Me too - it's incredibly simple and behaves as though it was built in to the OS. I only use it for sharing on social media etc. so I'm not too concerned if it isn't applying the perfect sharpening etc.

Another vote for resizing via LR, but it can be time consuming as it's essentially another RAW conversion. Essentially you just set up a user preset in the export dialogue and run that every time you want to resize a file. However, if you have photo mechanic, there is a very nifty image resize tool there and doesnt require a RAW conversion.

Back