Beware Photoshop Rip-off and other scams

No, I paid for my knowledge. My knowledge lets me do things others cannot do like use free software and get more power for editing than any proprietary garbage will.

Which proprietary garbage is that?

I havent read the whole thread, but returning to the OP i'd say that although £8.37 per month for photoshop and lightroom is an affordable sum (especially compared to the purchase cost of photoshop previously) its not exactly cheap at £100 per year

Personally i do most of my editting on Darktable or lightzone ( I downloaded both but my preference is LZ) running on a linux mint OS - If i need to use photo editing software on a windows laptop I tend to prefer photoshop elements - principally because thats what work say we can have on the work laptops

I havent read the whole thread, but returning to the OP i'd say that although £8.37 per month for photoshop and lightroom is an affordable sum (especially compared to the purchase cost of photoshop previously) its not exactly cheap at £100 per year

I guess i possibly wouldn't mind paying £8 per month for LR and PS, but nowadays i spend most of my time trying to get LR6 to work correctly! I did bite the bullet and upgrade to LR 6 from 5 after waiting a suitable period for Adobe to shake out any bugs. I think it was the biggest mistake i ever made. I'm so disappointed in Adobe, what a shoddy piece of work! I have now doubt that people will closely review there options when deciding to go with the almost industry standard Adobe products or another route.
Sitting on your "Adobe Laurels" doesn't work for long if you pee off all your customers.
Don't get me wrong i still use the product (spending ages learning a product means to a degree your bound to it). But i sort of intended editing Photos with it not spending hours trolling through forums and talking to Adobe to get it to work (like 5 did). I think most of this garbage came about with the inception of CC.

Latest cobblers is "edit in Photoshop" with Lightroom edits, Nope doesn't want to do that. Fix apparently is ACR 9 xxx. Nope! Yet another work round required!

I thought about updating to CC but considering what a bag of nails LR 6 is ....... I really what to be taking photos in the field not sat behind a screen for hours trying to fix what Adobe should have sorted in the first place.
Rant over;):eek:

Edit, I guess if you are a professional Tog £8.37 represents good value, but i can imagine the frustration if they had for example Wedding shots to get to a customer and Lightroom started its antics.

Last edited:
I've used Lightroom since V2 and I must say I've never really experienced any problems although it does seem just lately that a LR update is just Adobe fixing what they broke before. We've seen no real new features except for dehaze which I rarely use.

What bugs me the most about LR is the performance, or lack thereof. Earlier this year I spend £2.5k on the lastest, highest spec iMac I could get and still LR is sluggish. The GPU acceleration system is a sham, it just doesn't work even though I coughed up an extra £300 for the upgraded graphics card on my Mac.

I'm currently doing a lot of research into Capture One and I'm really liking what I'm seeing. It may not have all the fancy publishing folders etc that LR has and I will miss those but I'd rather have a snappy application for processing my images. I don't mind spending £8 a month for LR and will probably continue to pay them even after chaning to C1 just to keep PS

Hi Elliott, yes me to and i love the concept of Lightroom, and a good program if you just need to whip through and edit a batch of shots. To be honest never really experienced any issues until LR 6.
I swear that Lightroom 4 was much, much faster, (as i remember). It is disappointing isn't it with all the developers at there finger tips and for what the program has to do, it needs a good fixing IMHO! I was hopeful the LR 6 would be the answer but its shamefully lacking considering i came from 5.7.1. I would imagine its even more disappointing if you've shelled out on a new Mac on the strength of there alleged GPU acceleration.

Is Capture one the new Mac program that replaces Iphoto? Isn't this something they are in collusion with Adobe on? Or have i got the wrong end of the stick?
Cheers
Steve

I've used Lightroom since V2 and I must say I've never really experienced any problems although it does seem just lately that a LR update is just Adobe fixing what they broke before. We've seen no real new features except for dehaze which I rarely use.

I've been using LR since the first public beta in 2006.

Guided Transform
added in the latest LR CC a week or so ago is brilliant for me, though I could understand why a lot of people would pass it by without noticing.

It is all horses for courses.

I've also owned a properly licensed copy of Photoshop since I bought v2.5 in 1993 (the first version with 16 bit support, but the last before layers were introduced in v3.0). Prior to that I was using PixelPaint Pro for colour editing. IMO I've had my money's worth out of Photoshop over the last 23 years.

Not that I'm entirely immune to the charms of GIMP; you can't as easily write a Web Server CGI handler in Perl to apply image transformations with Photoshop, but then, to the best of my knowledge GIMP (still!) doesn't do colour editing in CMYK mode, which has occasionally been an essential feature for me.

As Lightroom has become a more comprehensive photographic tool over the last few versions, my use of Photoshop has plummeted, but it's essential when I do need it. I need all three tools in my life, but then I may not be particularly typical of most people on this forum.

Hi Elliott, yes me to and i love the concept of Lightroom, and a good program if you just need to whip through and edit a batch of shots. To be honest never really experienced any issues until LR 6.
I swear that Lightroom 4 was much, much faster, (as i remember). It is disappointing isn't it with all the developers at there finger tips and for what the program has to do, it needs a good fixing IMHO! I was hopeful the LR 6 would be the answer but its shamefully lacking considering i came from 5.7.1. I would imagine its even more disappointing if you've shelled out on a new Mac on the strength of there alleged GPU acceleration.

Is Capture one the new Mac program that replaces Iphoto? Isn't this something they are in collusion with Adobe on? Or have i got the wrong end of the stick?
Cheers
Steve

No, Capture One is the Raw editor from Phase One https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products/Software/Capture-One-Pro/Highlights.aspx
I'm finding the colours so much better using Capture One and the Noise reduction is miles ahead of LR.

It doesn't have all the fancy published folders and plugins like NIK and On1 etc don't work as seamlessly as in LR. They are usable but you need to adjust your workflow.

I've spent the last couple of days importing images, playing with smart folders and general editing just to get to grips with it. It a steep learning curve when you've been using LR for so many years but I think it will be worth it. the images just look so much better than in LR.

That's interesting, i have just had a wander around Phase Ones site, Capture One Pro looks pretty good. It is a bit of a pain having to change your workflow but then, it can be really bloody annoying when LR decides to have a hissy fit when you need to do some work!
I might look deeper into this.... and give the trial a go.

thank you for share url.
Those links are (at best) to pirated copies of PS7, and you seem to have added the second one yourself (I don't see it in the post you quote). I would strongly suggest not visiting either of them.

Back