Bi-weekly Photo Assignment.... AUTUMN...Discussion here!

Pick your favourite photo

• Marcel

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Stepheno

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steve

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Gandhi

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Jewel

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Sideshowbob

• DJW

• Noah

• CT

• Mfwild13

• RobertP

• Bachs

• Daveyuk

• Swiftwind

• EosD

• Mike Aiken

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • P-E

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Milou

• SammyC

• Dave

• KenCo1964

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well I have thrown my attempt into the ring, with it being run for less than one day we already have three very different submissions. This is going to be great. :)

Steve, good picture, looks like someone turned up and dumped the leaves then buggered off leaving the ol' fella totally confused!!! lol

Steve said:
Well I have thrown my attempt into the ring, with it being run for less than one day we already have three very different submissions. This is going to be great. :)

Ahhh... so now we get to see what you held back for the competition. Great shot mate :thumb:

Now if only we can get some half decent weather here so I can get out and have a go. :eyesup:

I had a feeling autumn might win, so i got my arse up to the arboretum. now it's just a question of which one to post......... maybeI should wait and see what the competition is like lol!

Both nice shots btw. I esp. like the symmetry in steves shot!

sorry. Long day at work. My eyes go a bit numismatic after counting money all day!

They're ALL good photo's (see what I did there?)

good stuff to start off with, need to find my camera i think!

I think you have oversharpened yours a bit ;)

Actually I like it a great deal, its bright and very vibrant. Good shot. :)

gandhi said:
have you been on marcels comedy tablets? lol!

Thanks for the positive feedback.

LOL I thought I felt them wearing off. I think he swapped em for hormone pills or something.

gandhi said:
have you been on marcels comedy tablets? lol!

Thanks for the positive feedback.
yeah but they are hard to swallow :p

You're welcome on the feedback, that's what I am here to do, or so I am told ;)

Well I was just gonna put up my shot for the Autumn theme going on right now, and then I looked at all the pics in the thread. I don't want to put mine up right after Ghandi's, :p That is one fine shot Ghandi! As well as yours Steve! My goodness. The talent around here is top notch boys. I know it isn't a contest so as soon as I can find it, I will post mine to share.

Jewel.

jewel said:
Well I was just gonna put up my shot for the Autumn theme going on right now, and then I looked at all the pics in the thread. I don't want to put mine up right after Ghandi's, :p That is one fine shot Ghandi! As well as yours Steve! My goodness. The talent around here is top notch boys. I know it isn't a contest so as soon as I can find it, I will post mine to share.

Jewel.

Come on Jewel don't be shy, as you said its not really a contest, more a invitation for everyone to take a autumn picture and post it in a thread so we can all see some beautiful and different pictures. It's all subjective anyway so you may like one more than I do but that doesn't make either of us right or wrong.

Beautiful! Oh, bugger. I'll have to start again then....

So I've posted my shot of Autumn. If you haven't seen it yet, go have a look already! Is the red saturated too much ya think? Opinions welcome please. I also wasn't sure about the big branch that is quite visible shooting right across the pic. Seeing as the angle it was on, it worked for me. I liked it.

Jewel.

Jewel: :icon_eek:, that's a very top picture!
If I was to be picky I would like to see some more edge of leaf definition but otherwise wooo nice!
:)

Just took my shot 10 mins ago in the garden......proof that Autumn is still mild to date, although particularly windy today ;) . Less DOF than I wanted to aid focus, but light conditions were poor. Flash was too strong.
Now prefect shot would be catching one of the pods fly away in a slight blur :whistling

I don't think you have overdone the red saturation Jewel, you live in Canada so how would we know if that is the real colour or not ;)

I don't know what you were worrying about, it's at least as good as every other there in my opinion.

DJW said:
Just took my shot 10 mins ago in the garden......proof that Autumn is still mild to date, although particularly windy today ;)

Snook that one in....goes to look :coat:

DJW..Somebody has nicked half the flower and all the colour from your photo!!! ;)

We are getting some great photos for this subject and all different too.

I see slideshowbob has also submitted a worthy entry. The voting is going to be difficult when the time comes.

Steve said:
DJW..Somebody has nicked half the flower and all the colour from your photo!!! ;)

:LOL: . Just looking out the window now the whole flowers blown away now. Interesting enough I was trying to think of something other than leaves, as too many excellent shots already....plus they've all blown away here ;)....then it got me thinking....what else could you shoot other than plants dying / changing colour that could equate to Autumn ? People in coats because the temp has dropped could be seen as winter / spring ....not so easy. Any thoughts anyone ?

Just checked some dictionary entries for Autumn :-

1. the season when the leaves fall from the trees
2. A period of maturity verging on decline.

Self portrait for option 2. then for moi ;)

AHA just thought of one.....a squirrel collecting nuts !!! Right off to buy a pack of KP ....wonder if Sammy Squirrel likes salted or dry roasted :LOL:

Steve said:
I see slideshowbob has also submitted a worthy entry. The voting is going to be difficult when the time comes.

Thanks. :)

Mine was taken yesterday when it wasn't blowing a gale and the woods weren't sodden. I'm pretty sure that any leaves still clinging to their trees yesterday will by now have been evicted. Autumn's such a cruel season.

DJW said:
2. A period of maturity verging on decline.

Self portrait for option 2. then for moi ;)

Join the club. Although at least in my case my bald patch can be used with an off-camera flash to provide a diffuse lighting effect. :D

DJW said:
...what else could you shoot other than plants dying / changing colour that could equate to Autumn ? People in coats because the temp has dropped could be seen as winter / spring ....not so easy. Any thoughts anyone ?

What about lonely people? Autumn is the time when we start to go inside earlier as the days draw shorter, we hurry to and from work, not strolling the same, our heads facing down instead of up at the now long gone blue sky, the wind is colder and bites at any exposed skin. We don't nod and smile at strangers as we pass on the streets, we hardly see them apart from moving to one side to avoid collisions on the pavements. Any single people will find this time of year difficult, making friends/contacts is difficult if everyone is warm and dry inside.

That line of thought should be able to throw up all sorts of ideas and photos that I would consider suitable for autumn..

Oooh oooooh I've got an idea for another shot. Can I submit two?
Its just with all the talk about putting a different take on the theme.

Shall we let him? shall we?

You coluld always knock your original one out and replace it with the new one if you think it's better.

Some really top scotch efforts so far!

Yours is fine Jewel. Doesn't look too saturated from my screen!

Noah's I like too, along with ssbob's and daves!

sideshowbob said:
... all the fallen leaves were calling "pick me, pick me" when I ventured into the woods with my camera.

That's funny....When I approached I heard them shout "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T STAND ON ME!!!!!"

Steve said:
I don't think you have overdone the red saturation Jewel, you live in Canada so how would we know if that is the real colour or not ;)

Thanks Steve. I'm not the only Canadian on the forums though am I? Guess I should have posted a maple leaf than huh. :p Sammy, as far as more leaf definiton I know what you mean. I took a million shots yesterday and I seem to have a problem with getting a sharp picture. As all the regulars around here would probably know,lol. I seem to want to get too close for what the lens will allow me to do. Christmas is coming, perhaps a new lens for mom is in order eh!

Jewel :)

Definately Jewel, get your order in now so that come Christmas the children are not able to turn round and claim you didn't give them enough time. ;)

What are the shot settings you are using Jewel? Maybe you're not getting the best out of the lens you have? For example, the Canon 50mm prime is a belter but only if you know not to have the aperture full open then it goes waaaaaay soft.

Maybe one of the other (stinky) Nikon peeps can help. :)

jewel said:
Sammy, as far as more leaf definiton I know what you mean. I took a million shots yesterday and I seem to have a problem with getting a sharp picture.

Just a thought... are you shooting in RAW or jpeg? If the latter it may be that the in camera sharpening is set too low.

It may be that you need to sharpen a bit more in PS when you process the shots.

Another thing to consider is when you resize for the web, you should re-sample the image bicubic 'sharper' I only found this one out the other day!

If you're using a D70 I thought the kit lens was pretty good n'est pas?

gandhi said:
CT,

Big up the SAGA posse!

Nice self portrait!

Thanks mate, but he's got well over 20 years on me. He's nearly 85, plays golf off 9 handicap, drives like a maniac and plays piano like a god. I wanna be like him when I grow up. :icon_cool
EDIT
I agree with your comments on Jewel's shot, plus it may benefit from being a little darker? It's another great example though of just how much Jewel's shots have improved since she bought her D70. Btw- Bicubic resampling is for expanding an image - Bilinear resampling should be used for reducing the size. I find that images still need a sharpen regardless of which method is used though.

I respectfully beg to differ from right-honorable friend....

lifted directly from ps cs2 help file (sorry Adobe ;) )

For Interpolation, choose one of the following options:
Nearest Neighbor A fast but less precise method that replicates the pixels in an image. This method is for use with illustrations containing edges that are not anti-aliased, to preserve hard edges and produce a smaller file. However, this method can produce jagged effects, which become apparent when you distort or scale an image or perform multiple manipulations on a selection.
Bilinear A method that adds pixels by averaging the color values of surrounding pixels. It produces medium-quality results.
Bicubic A slower but more precise method based on an examination of the values of surrounding pixels. Using more complex calculations, Bicubic produces smoother tonal gradations than Nearest Neighbor or Bilinear.
Bicubic Smoother A good method for enlarging images based on Bicubic interpolation but designed to produce smoother results.
Bicubic Sharper A good method for reducing the size of an image based on Bicubic interpolation with enhanced sharpening. This method maintains the detail in a resampled image. If Bicubic Sharper oversharpens some areas of an image, try using Bicubic.

And from the PSP Help file. :D

bicubic_bilinear.jpg

Not that I would *ever* want to question the god of chopping that is CT :)
I think Ghandi is right.. It's new to CS2 apparently. I've been watching some CS2 training videos, and it explains that Nearest Neighbour and Bilinear are older algorithms from earlier versions. As is Bicubic.
Newer to CS2 is Bicubic Smoother and Bicubic Sharper, for enlarging and reducing the size of an image respectively.
Basically Bicubic Sharper is a better way of doing what Bicubic did, and then applying a touch of USM. Now there is no need to add a bit of USM after reducing the size with Bi-Sharper.

Basically the upshot of the video was to use either of the last two as a first call.

Edit : (After reading CT's post), it seems that CT is actually not incorrect. The methods he mentions are available for the functions he also mentions, it's just that with CS2 there are now newer algorithms to deal with what was previously done via the methods mentioned.

If that makes sense,......cos it doesn't to me :D

:LOL: I never professed to be the god of chopping bod!

It's interesting then, and it could be really good, although I tend to be wary of one button -one shot filters as they treat all images the same, which isn't always a good thing. Fair does to gandhi though for being more up-to-date than moi. :)

I think we're both right in our own special ways!

B.O.T. I like mfwilds recent addition to the photo's. nice composition and I like the old/young split with the people!

Back