Bi-weekly Photo Assignment.... AUTUMN...Discussion here!

Pick your favourite photo

• Marcel

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Stepheno

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steve

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Gandhi

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Jewel

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Sideshowbob

• DJW

• Noah

• CT

• Mfwild13

• RobertP

• Bachs

• Daveyuk

• Swiftwind

• EosD

• Mike Aiken

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • P-E

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Milou

• SammyC

• Dave

• KenCo1964

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mfwild's shot is a corker! I like the composition, the age difference and the DOF is just right. :thumb:

Well mines in. Nothing like the shot I had in mind. If I see my original idea again *with camera* maybe I'll change it.

CT/gandhi - many thanks guys I really appreciate the comments.

Looks like its going to be a good competition with eleven entries already :)

SammyC said:
What are the shot settings you are using Jewel? Maybe you're not getting the best out of the lens you have? For example, the Canon 50mm prime is a belter but only if you know not to have the aperture full open then it goes waaaaaay soft.

Maybe one of the other (stinky) Nikon peeps can help. :)

Sammy,the settings were

f/13
1/200 sec
70.00mm

Ghandi, I am using the D70 with the kit lens yes. I shoot in raw as well. Also it was shot in AP mode. I don't feel comfortable shooting everything in manual mode. As for all the other pics in the Autumn thread, wow! Alot of interesting takes on it. We should all pat ourselves on the back. :woot:

Cheers,

Jewel. :)

jewel said:
Ghandi, I am using the D70 with the kit lens yes. I shoot in raw as well.

I use the D70 and kit 18-70 lens. After reading Thom Hogan's D70 guide I set my sharpening in camera to the minimum / off setting (can't remember off hand the exact setting). I'd rather be in control of the sharpening process

Taking sharp pics of leaves on trees is quite hard given the depth of field you often need and the fact that even the slightest wind can start them all dancing. Perhaps shooting in shutter priority might have served you better, giving you a chance to gauge whether a higher ISO was needed to allow you to shoot at a relatively high speed to cope with the movement issue.

:)

Sonsey said:
Now if only we can get some half decent weather here so I can get out and have a go. :eyesup:

Still waiting :yawn:

jewel said:
Sammy,the settings were

f/13
1/200 sec
70.00mm

Ghandi, I am using the D70 with the kit lens yes. I shoot in raw as well. Also it was shot in AP mode. I don't feel comfortable shooting everything in manual mode. As for all the other pics in the Autumn thread, wow! Alot of interesting takes on it. We should all pat ourselves on the back. :woot:

Cheers,

Jewel. :)

I can't comment on the specifics of the Nikon lens but I know that both my zoom lenses are quite soft at the full extent. Maybe worth someone better in the know to comment on this, or even you perform a quick test if you get a chance Jewel! :)

But don't get me wrong here, I still think its a top shot with top post processing! :)

i got mine in!

Bachs said:
I'm kicking myself now...I got some crackers in the woods today.

tis easy, just swap the photo. edit the image link in your post. nobody will notice and I ceratainly won't tell anyone. It can be our little secret ;)

gandhi said:
tis easy, just swap the photo. edit the image link in your post. nobody will notice and I ceratainly won't tell anyone. It can be our little secret ;)

I will notice from the admin logs ;)

I didn't see it anywhere that people couldn't swap/change photos (your idea-your call)... but think it should not be allowed once voting has opened.

Oooh, the second one there mate! Not sure it really says Autumn but nice photo none the less.

PS. Steve, what voting is this?

Ghandi, I love your photo... looks like it should be in a magazine or book.

post quick while no-ones looking

SammyC said:
PS. Steve, what voting is this?

When the fortnight is up (dont know when that is as I have not checked) then a poll will be set up and everyone can vote on their favourite. :)

Will check later..on my way out now for some fresh air..

closes on the 20th i think? started on the 6th

Does indeed close on the 20th. I have no problems if someone wants to swap their Image, this is all done in the name of personal improvement after all, and if you've managed to nab the killer shot at the last moment, then i for one would like to see it!

If anybody has any objections to this, speak now or forever hold your peace! ;)

Thanks for the comments Erin, I was very pleased with this shot as it was taken on a little compact camera and came out free of camera shake and the blessed thing actually managed to get the metering right and produce some Depth of field control for once. It must be a bit of a toughy for you this one, as unless I'm crazy, it's spring in your neck of the woods now? (and yer bloomin water goes the wrong way round the plug hole!)

I must say that the last few entries have really upped the ante now. Well impressed with every single last one of them!

Steve said:
When the fortnight is up (dont know when that is as I have not checked) then a poll will be set up and everyone can vote on their favourite. :)

Will check later..on my way out now for some fresh air..

Well I refer you to the first bi-weekly photo assignment here that states its not a competition! I personally don't see the point of having another comp when people struggle enough with the monthly one.

:)

Right off to change my photo as it was just a joke one.

I think you can still have a favourite, it doesn't necessarily make it a competition. That would mean judging on things like artistic merit, tech ability, theme interpretation, rather than just the one you like best!

Ok. right then. Lets have a poll about having a poll. :D

I hate democracy. Or is this an anarcho-syndicalist commune?

ooooh, Theres some lovely mud down here kevin!

;)

gandhi said:
I think you can still have a favourite, it doesn't necessarily make it a competition. That would mean judging on things like artistic merit, tech ability, theme interpretation, rather than just the one you like best!

Ok. right then. Lets have a poll about having a poll. :D

I hate democracy. Or is this an anarcho-syndicalist commune?

ooooh, Theres some lovely mud down here kevin!

;)

*cough*
DENNIS: I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We
take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the
week.
ARTHUR: Yes.
DENNIS: But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified
at a special biweekly meeting.
ARTHUR: Yes, I see.
DENNIS: By a simple majority in the case of purely internal
affairs,--
ARTHUR: Be quiet!
DENNIS: --but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more--
ARTHUR: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
WOMAN: Order, eh -- who does he think he is?
ARTHUR: I am your king!
WOMAN: Well, I didn't vote for you.
ARTHUR: You don't vote for kings.
WOMAN: Well, 'ow did you become king then?
ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake, [angels sing] her arm clad in the
purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of
the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to
carry Excalibur. [singing stops] That is why I am your king!
DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony.
ARTHUR: Be quiet!
DENNIS: Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power
just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
ARTHUR: Shut up!
DENNIS: I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an emperor just
because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd
put me away!
ARTHUR: Shut up! Will you shut up!
DENNIS: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
ARTHUR: Shut up!
DENNIS: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!
ARTHUR: Bloody peasant!
DENNIS: Oh, what a give away. Did you hear that, did you hear
that, eh? That's what I'm on about -- did you see him repressing
me, you saw it didn't you?

gandhi said:
Thanks for the comments Erin, I was very pleased with this shot as it was taken on a little compact camera and came out free of camera shake and the blessed thing actually managed to get the metering right and produce some Depth of field control for once. It must be a bit of a toughy for you this one, as unless I'm crazy, it's spring in your neck of the woods now? (and yer bloomin water goes the wrong way round the plug hole!)

(How you remembered my name, I have no idea!). No problem! :) Yes, I must admit the photo I entered was taken from when we had autumn in april/may. I hope no-one minds....? It's spring here but more like summer! All the trees have their leaves and the temperatures are reaching 35 degrees C already. By the way, our water goes the right way round! :D Actually, I just checked and for some odd reason it seems to go left and right down the sink.

SammyC said:
Thanks for your comments Erin, I do agree with your thoughts on the crop and I think that's why everyone thought it was too dark originally.

Trouble I have though is that I want to keep the aspect ratio at 2x3 so that I can get it printed and fit into a normal frame. It's never easy is it! lol :)

umm, actually it was this post that reminded me of Erin's name that I'd seen moments earlier.

People in glass houses dude? ;)

gandhi said:
umm, actually it was this post that reminded me of Erin's name that I'd seen moments earlier.

People in glass houses dude? ;)

:icon_eek: :censored: :whistling

Don't listen to him slowrain (see I don't really know your name) he's :nut:

SammyC said:
Don't listen to him slowrain (see I don't really know your name) he's :nut:

Slowrain? :D

:eek13: Oh boy... I don't think he's the only crazy one!

nah there's hundreds of us knocking about :nut:

I didn't take my photo for this photo assignment, but I did take it with the theme in mind and as part of my mission in life, so does that count?

For those who don't read my online journal, I am living in Toronto now (for the next nine months).

Just a small reminder to everyone that this closes TOMORROW (sunday) at I guess midnight. (up to admin that one)

I'm gonna Pm steve tommoz at some point with suggestions for the next topic. So PM me with any good ones you may have thought of for inclusion.

I may have stumbled across an idea today, dunno how everybody feels about it, but I'm sure you'll all let me know ;)

How's about we change this bi-weekly theme gig to a seasonal one. I'm not suggesting the thread should be four-times-a-year but instead, we still have it fortnightly, but theme it around the current prevailing season, eg, early autumn, mid-winter, first touch of spring etc. ?????

It would save all the poll running admin issues and put everyone on a relatively equal footing (unless you live in the southen hemisphere)

Just an idea/ikea.

Love it or hate it?

not sure of the theme tbh, might run thin on the ground quite quickly

I think the interest comes from a different theme and the fact that everyone is voting on it, so by default the members are picking the subject, Its also much more interactive. So far I think that all though it is early days, you seem to have hit on a winning formula.

Personally I would suggest running with the current "format" for a few weeks and then see what happens from there. As always the majority should decide though :)

One other thing..when are you closing this round, maybe dinner time to allow for the vote to begin on the pictures submitted or at midnight if you prefer. Your call buddy. :thumb:

I reckon close it around 6pm. will give everyone a chance to vote this evening!

I will PM you later with a list of potential subjects for the poll for the new assignment, just gotta sort myself post work!

No problem, so that leaves about 45mins for you lot to get in your last minute submission or change the one you already posted :)

OK gents thats your lot, I will close the other thread now and add a poll to this one. Please don't change your photos at all from now on.

Cheers.

Back