Big cheap 8 Gig CF card?

Name
Andy Drake
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks

I'm looking for big cheap CF card for my D700. About 8 gigs.

Don't care about brand, speed etc - just capacity. And cheap capacity.

Anyone know of any cheapies?

Thanks - not keen on them they tend to sit on their hands rather than post stuff, and p&p is pricey @ £3.95... will conside them as a last resort though :)

Last edited:
holy crap
I think that you're nuts!

I have a mymemory 2gb card, it was quoted to be high speed and a reasonable transfer rate, the yellow and blue ones...and frankly it's utter pants. I keep it for emergencies only.
do not cripple that lovely new camera with a card that will have you waiting whilst your buffer clears or waiting even to review the photos.

I've not got a 'MyMemory' branded card myself so I can't comment on what they're like. I use SanDisk, several of which have been bought from MyMemory.co.uk

I believe puddleduck said........ "Don't care about brand, speed etc - just capacity. And cheap capacity."

do not cripple that lovely new camera with a card that will have you waiting whilst your buffer clears or waiting even to review the photos.

I can shoot 5fps for 3 seconds before I need to even worry about CF write speed. And I never shoot continuous bursts anyhow. I only shoot in single shot mode, I really don't need "speed" :)

Thanks folks - I'll be giving MyMemory a go, not sure whether to go for the Lexar jobbies as they look good too.

Surprised by how cheap 16 gigs is now!!

I've never tried MyMemory cards myself, pref to stick with Sandisk, just in case reliability is an issue. Also I went for more 4Gb cards rather than less 8Gb. I went for 4Gb Extreme 30Mb/s 200x (although you don't need that speed) from Amazon for £16.99 with free P&P (offer still on). They came sealed in original packing with recovery SW and zip pouch. Very happy with that (y)

People fall for brand names and promises of quality, Don't pay more for a sticker

Wait until 02/09/08 and it is 20% of All sandisk stuff day at My Memory

I've never tried MyMemory cards myself, pref to stick with Sandisk, just in case reliability is an issue.

So as you only stick to brand names and haven't had a failure, this makes unbranded cards somehow risky and less reliable?

I love spurious "straw man" arguments :bonk::D

People fall for brand names and promises of quality, Don't pay more for a sticker

And there are a number of them live and kicking in this thread :LOL:

Sticker snobbery amuses me greatly :)

Wait until 02/09/08 and it is 20% of All sandisk stuff day at My Memory

I think this offer may be on at the moment, also try picstop they normally have fairly good prices.

My 'My memory' card is great, just as fast as my scandisk extreme 4 card! Would have no hesitation is buying more or recommending them.

My 'My memory' card is great, just as fast as my scandisk extreme 4 card! Would have no hesitation is buying more or recommending them.

Its probably the same memory inside - Toshiba supplies the vast majority of the world's flash memory, and Toshiba also owns Sandisk ;)

You do get some generic stuff - I'm a software engineer, and I know when I've been working in Japan on SD Card drivers for mobile O/S, pretty much everything we saw came from 1 of 2 manufactures internally, despite the external branding.

Last edited:
I'll 3rd (or 4th) the MyMemory 8GB cards... Same price, and performance as the 4GB ExIIIs...

Back