Bird ID ?

Name
Rikki
Edit My Images
Yes
I've seen this bird circling above a hedge along the edge of a field in open space.

I'm curious because I cant seem to find it on any websites.

Its got the wing shape of a gull, but markings I've never seen before. I can usually only ever see the bottom of it and its black and white, mostly white though. Its tail is black with a white band round the thin section. It circles like a bird of prey and has that screechy call of one.

The closest I can find on RSPB website is a Honey Buzzard, but I'm not sure.

I'll try and get back to get some pics, but its a bit difficult at the mo.

Anyone any ideas ?

Its a rare bird, which is more commonly seen as a hedgehog. It sprouts wings and goes hunting for worms, lice, concrete, tarmac, old ladies hats and has known on occasion to eat a whole crocodile in one go. Its a timid creature usually, unless approached by a homocidal maniac with an axe and tube of super glue, does it then do a little war dance before biting its opponents head off and spitting it out at some unsuspecting french tourists, who in turn surrender to this bird, who then takes over france in a reign of terror which sees all the french leave their country to live in belgium, which becomes overcrowded and sinks, creating a massive water resort for german tourists to lounge about in their leather shorts...

er whatever you're smoking - I'll have some:thinking:

hi

If you are seeing these birds in the Birkacre area of Chorley they are buzzards as I know you have photos from this area

Edit look here check out the images you can also here its call and see the vid

Dave

Last edited:
Sounds like a Juvenile or Female Hen Harrier you may have there, known as a "Ringtail" because of the white ring :)

henharrier_juvenile_300_tcm9-139914.jpg

Although without pictures its difficult to say !

hi

If you are seeing these birds in the Birkacre area of Chorley they are buzzards as I know you have photos from this area

Edit look here

I have no photos from that area or indeed from anywhere near Chorley.

I think Ian might have hit on something though !!

Back