Beginner Black background pictures.

Edit My Images
Yes
The other half has seen a picture of Facebook of a black lab with a blackground. I have Google it and seen a way of doing it without a back ground, put it in manual, low iso, shutter up to 200. Aperture to what ever necessary. I can get the off camera flash working etc no worries there. Just wondering do you have to have a reflector/ umbrella set up for this to work properly or is there any other way of doing this.
Hope that makes sense

Hi

I think you would need a modifier like a softbox to stop the light hitting the background unless you have a big space between the subject and background.

Last edited:
As sort as I can, you will need modifiers, and a reflector too.

Once you've worked out how the black background works, you'll realise the next challenge is the edge of the dog needs lighting to stop it disappearing into the background.

It's a tricky lighting experiment, but not insurmountable. But I'd say it depends how much you understand how light works.

Yeah I have the basics. I appreciate it's not going to be a easy process but we have 3 dogs to experiment on and I'm sure she will want some of her son.
But it looks like I have to hunt around for some more kit.
The video was a great help too thanks

Not sure what size background you need but worth checking the blackout blinds that IKEA do.

i was going to try and get away with the backdrop version and just try the outdoor type, The you tube video was what i was after, was hoping to try and find a diy version, Looks like i need some new kit oh dear :)

Make a snoot out of cardboard, and use that on your speed light. That will direct the flash at the subject without lighting the background.

Grids for speedlites also work well in this kind of situation, I use them on a speedlite for a hair/separation light and it works well at controlling overspill.
I use the Lastolite strobo ones and if you look around they can be picked up cheaply. I paid about £12 for the fitting that fits the system to the speedlite from eBay and picked up a used set of grids from WEX for £8.

Oscar by mark kingston, on Flickr

Managed this on Saturday in between showers in the garden.
As i said i only had the one nissin. It was more of an initial experiment to see what i needed and turned out like. I know have more of an idea on what is needed.

@matty D yes that is the kind of thing she is after, it will be more trial and error to get to grips with it all. Cant beat a good old fashion hands on learning

Last edited:
Back