blakester's 52 for 2010, Weeks 51 & 52 Page 12 (Finally Finished)

First up, apologies for this one, it is one from my archives as I have just started a new job and time has been at a premium as I now have to commute each day into London. Photography has had to take a back seat until I get settled. The image itself is quite simple but I liked this statue which is situated near to Abbey Gardens in Bury St Edmunds.

C&C welcome as always but not expected as this is a bit of a cheat as I never took it this week.

a very striking statue. You have captured the detail really well.

Thanks JL, it is indeed a striking statue, it certainly caught my eye.

A good illustration of faith Iain. I hope the job is going well. I know what a trek it is into London( did it for uni) so good luck with it.

Thanks Sue, as I said above, this is a bit of a cheat as I never took the photograph this week. Thanks also for the good luck wishes, I need to settle into a routine for commuting into London, some things (photography) may need to take a back seat for a while.

Good luck with the new job Iain.
I travel up to London one or two days a week for work and I know how difficult it can be to get around in the middle of rush hour :puke:

And your shot may not be from this week, but it fits the theme perfectly.
You've captured the detail in the statue very well, and I know that they're not easy subjects to shoot.
At first glance I thought I would have preferred a slightly shallower DoF, but the more I look the more I think that you've got it spot on.

Not a cheat at all - it's in the 'rules' such as they are...having said that I entered the project as a weekly focus for taking new shots and therefore I've avoided archived shots.

I really like the statue pic and the depth of field is ideal IMO. If there was some sidelighting (or an off-camera strobe) that would have been absolutely perfect!

Phil

Great shot, nailed the composition well, what a great statue. The dof works well too with the building in the rear of the shot.

Thanks Chris, it is an eye catching statue. It is very photogenic, which helped enormously.

Good luck with the new job Iain.
I travel up to London one or two days a week for work and I know how difficult it can be to get around in the middle of rush hour :puke:

And your shot may not be from this week, but it fits the theme perfectly.
You've captured the detail in the statue very well, and I know that they're not easy subjects to shoot.
At first glance I thought I would have preferred a slightly shallower DoF, but the more I look the more I think that you've got it spot on.

Thanks Sarah, the travel time to London will take a bit of getting used to but my new job is worth the effort.
Thanks for your positive comments.

Not a cheat at all - it's in the 'rules' such as they are...having said that I entered the project as a weekly focus for taking new shots and therefore I've avoided archived shots.

I really like the statue pic and the depth of field is ideal IMO. If there was some sidelighting (or an off-camera strobe) that would have been absolutely perfect!

Phil

Thanks Phil, I never thought of using off camera flash:thinking:.
Your positive comments are much appreciated.

Week 47 Distortion..... I managed today to get something which I think fits the theme (ish). I have lived down in England for over 17 years and have driven past this chimney many times but never stopped to have a proper look until today :LOL:. I have always liked the look of this chimney and thought about how to be a bit different in photographing it. I chose to use the image taken when dark, I welcome your opinions. C&C welcome as always.

A great shot tainted by the yellow overload.

You have image editing on, so hope you don't mind - how about something like this:
p328505005-4.jpg

I first used the selective desaturation tool in Lightroom to take the sting out, then used the selective hue tool to blend the colour in with the other tones in the shot. Finally I added a graduated exposure filter to give some (hopefully realistic) shadowing and avoid the right hand side from dominating the shot.

Phil

Last edited:
I know that chimney too but have never photographed it. I think I would have desaturated the yellows a bit. Otherwise its a great angle and I like the colour of the sky.

Thanks Sue, I don't know how to selectively desaturate the yellows :LOL:

A great shot tainted by the yellow overload.

You have image editing on, so hope you don't mind - how about something like this:
p328505005-4.jpg

I first used the selective desaturation tool in Lightroom to take the sting out, then used the selective hue tool to blend the colour in with the other tones in the shot. Finally I added a graduated exposure filter to give some (hopefully realistic) shadowing and avoid the right hand side from dominating the shot.

Phil

Cheers Phil, I don't mind at all. As I mentioned to Sue, I don't know have lightroom and don't know how to selective desaturate (best I go and find out though). I did desaturate the whole image but it took something away from not only the yellow but everything else. I like your version of it though. Thanks again for your efforts.

Another catchup Iain.

Share: Thanks for 'Sharing' your last Rolo. You've lit the foil very well. The shot has a nice warm feeling to it.

Faith: Archive or not - that's a cracking shot. I like the DOF and the composition, even the expression on the statues face.

Distortion: Another good shot Iain. I prefer the desaturated vesion from Phil, but I think it would work just as well in black and white with a boost in contrast.

Iain, an excellent shot of the statue, might be an archive but it doesn't matter... really good details

Distortion, that's an interesting chimney, I like the feel of it, but agree on the yellow. Phil's edit has much improved it.

I wonder whether the workmen cursed the architect when they built that chimney? I like the composition and with Phil's edit you have a really strong image. I think it would work well in mono, too.

Another catchup Iain.

Share: Thanks for 'Sharing' your last Rolo. You've lit the foil very well. The shot has a nice warm feeling to it.

Faith: Archive or not - that's a cracking shot. I like the DOF and the composition, even the expression on the statues face.

Distortion: Another good shot Iain. I prefer the desaturated vesion from Phil, but I think it would work just as well in black and white with a boost in contrast.

Thanks for your catch-up comments Paul. I appreciate your positive input.

Iain, an excellent shot of the statue, might be an archive but it doesn't matter... really good details

Distortion, that's an interesting chimney, I like the feel of it, but agree on the yellow. Phil's edit has much improved it.

Thanks John, the yellow is a bit too much, I agree.

I wonder whether the workmen cursed the architect when they built that chimney? I like the composition and with Phil's edit you have a really strong image. I think it would work well in mono, too.

Thanks Tracer, I have posted a B&W conversion below.

Once again apologies, this is another archive photograph from a visit I paid to London in October. Further apologies, this is more a record shot than anything of any photographical significance. I like the subject for its randomness, it just seems so abstract. I have done some processing on this to mainly draw the viewers eye, not that it needs it being bright green :LOL:. I am seriously lacking in inspiration of late and am looking forward to the end of this 52, thats not to say I haven't enjoyed it, I definately have and have learned a lot along the way. C&C welcome as always but not expected as this is more a filler shot than anything.

I can't work out what's going on here :thinking:! Whatever, it is very striking and certainly fits the theme.

The 52 has been fun but I'll also be glad to get to the end of it.

Interesting and intriguing, really asks questions... I really like it... nicely processed too.

interesting image. Fits the theme ok. I'm another one that is glad there are only a few weeks left !

Sorry, Iain I have some catching up to do.

Share: Love it but I certainly would not share it! You've got the lighting just right :clap:

Faith: That's a really nice statue and you have the DOF spot on (y)

Distortion: There are some chimneys like that around our way - they must have been fashionable in days gone by. It's a clever take on the theme and I prefer Phil's tweaked version because the yellow was a bit distracting.

Lead: Another intriguing shot (y) What was it doing there?

Hope all is going well with the new job. Keep going with the 52, we are nearly there!

Jenny

That is different Ian.I like the street sign- it makes you think about what you have done with the photo as it doesnt belong to a picture of a plug socket. very interesting- I like it.

Thanks Sue, it is a direct photograph, no photoshop trickery involved, there is a lot of street art around that area of ondon.

I can't work out what's going on here :thinking:! Whatever, it is very striking and certainly fits the theme.

The 52 has been fun but I'll also be glad to get to the end of it.

Thanks Tracer, it is quite unusual isn't it?

Interesting and intriguing, really asks questions... I really like it... nicely processed too.

Cheers John.

interesting image. Fits the theme ok. I'm another one that is glad there are only a few weeks left !

Thanks JL.

Sorry, Iain I have some catching up to do.

Share: Love it but I certainly would not share it! You've got the lighting just right :clap:

Faith: That's a really nice statue and you have the DOF spot on (y)

Distortion: There are some chimneys like that around our way - they must have been fashionable in days gone by. It's a clever take on the theme and I prefer Phil's tweaked version because the yellow was a bit distracting.

Lead: Another intriguing shot (y) What was it doing there?

Hope all is going well with the new job. Keep going with the 52, we are nearly there!

Jenny

Thank you too Jenny for your positive comments.
I agree about the yellow being distracting, Phil's edit works better.
Lead, after a bit of searching on t'internet, apparently this large socket is covering an air conditioning/ventilation unit.
The new job is very enjoyable but time consuming. It is going well though

Last edited:
I rather like your image for lead! It attracts the eye being so unusual!

Phil

I rather like your image for lead! It attracts the eye being so unusual!

Phil

Thanks Phil, as I said, its more of a record shot than anything of photographical significance but I like it too as it is an unusual subject.

Not many to go now :clap:
Below is my latest offering for this weeks theme of 'Space'
This brought back childhood memories. C&C welcome as always.

your hopper looks a bit crazy! I love the colours of the ones you get now .. I'm sure when I had one years ago it was a sort of dull orange. Does indeed bring back memories for me too.

Distortion and Lead are both really well spotted and great fits for the theme. Phil's tweak on the distortion shot is probably my favourite take on it, but it really is an amazing chimney and you've captured it well.
Lead . . . not sure I like the socket as a piece of art in its own right, but it makes an interesting photograph.

Space. An interpretation I would never have thought of.
Good, fun shot that really made me smile :D

Almost at the end. It's been another great learning curve this year, but like you I feel like I'm starting to flag a bit now.

Great interpretation Ian... I remember them, and mine was dull orange.

HEYHEY!!!!! love it! Great thinking outta the box :clap:

Yeah 52 was hard going, not sure I will do one next year maybe the year after to see how much I progressed?! I say that like im gonna improve, lol.

your hopper looks a bit crazy! I love the colours of the ones you get now .. I'm sure when I had one years ago it was a sort of dull orange. Does indeed bring back memories for me too.

Thanks JL, my memories of spacehoppers were of the dull orange variety too.

Hi Iain, that's a clever shot for the theme. I would never have thought of that. I love the composition and the colours and the face adds a bit of drama (y)

Jenny

Thanks Jenny, i am glad you like it.

Love it - great colours and composition. :clap:

Thanks Tracer (y)

Distortion and Lead are both really well spotted and great fits for the theme. Phil's tweak on the distortion shot is probably my favourite take on it, but it really is an amazing chimney and you've captured it well.
Lead . . . not sure I like the socket as a piece of art in its own right, but it makes an interesting photograph.

Space. An interpretation I would never have thought of.
Good, fun shot that really made me smile :D

Almost at the end. It's been another great learning curve this year, but like you I feel like I'm starting to flag a bit now.

Thanks Sarah, I appreciate your positive comments and its good to see you back.

Great interpretation Ian... I remember them, and mine was dull orange.

Cheers John, dull orange is so 1970's :D this is the modern equivalent :LOL:

HEYHEY!!!!! love it! Great thinking outta the box :clap:

Yeah 52 was hard going, not sure I will do one next year maybe the year after to see how much I progressed?! I say that like im gonna improve, lol.

Cheers Dade, I think I will give the 52 a miss next year.

Space is great! Made me smile the second I saw it. Good balance between the colours and strong composition. If I'm being picky I think it has a slight colour cast, but a good week for you, Iain!

Phil

Iain,

What a horrible monstrosity of a piece of modern art. Makes for an interesting picture though. Fits the theme well.

Space: Great idea. Excellent composition and nice bold colours. I remember the original orange space-hoppers.

Thats a lovely bright cheerful picture Iain.Great colours

Thanks Sue, the colours appealled to me too.

Space is great! Made me smile the second I saw it. Good balance between the colours and strong composition. If I'm being picky I think it has a slight colour cast, but a good week for you, Iain!

Phil

Thanks Phil, I think the colour cast may be from my processing.

Iain,

What a horrible monstrosity of a piece of modern art. Makes for an interesting picture though. Fits the theme well.

Space: Great idea. Excellent composition and nice bold colours. I remember the original orange space-hoppers.

Thanks Paul, it is a bit of a monstrosity, I wouldn't want it on the side of my house :LOL:.

Thanks for your comments on space too, these space hoppers are the 21st version, I find the colours more appealling.

Week 50 and 'Close', we already had this theme back around week 18, I think someone posted an alternative theme to Simon's as he had the audacity to post that weeks theme a day late :LOL:. Anyway, had to come up with something different to the last. My take this week is CCTV (Closed Circuit TV) on a building which is closed/derelict. Not sure if that is a wee bit crowbarish but its the best I could think of ;). C&C welcome as always. Iain

Last edited:
Back