Bloody film

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi hope you've all had a good week. I'm not having much luck with this film lark at the moment :/ I sent a roll of film off a while back shot on a little Nikon EM Non of the shots came out . Id had the roll of film for years and it turned out the light seals are shot. Its been years since I shot film so didn't even think about the seals. I've now bought some to replace them. This week I sent a roll away that Id shot on a Nikon F501. I got a message back that there were no images on the film. Ive been looking at the camera it now looks like the shutter has a problem of shooting at the same speed whatever the setting (very fast) The camera didn't cost much at all and doesn't seem to warrant the cost of repair.
Anyway I'm now halfway through a roll of 120 film an my Mamiya C330 I know the camera is perfect as its been away for a service and check over. so fingers crossed I will have some decent images. Its all a learning curve :)

:eek::eek::eek: Well as long as the film is winding on you should get something on the film (well providing the shutter is working) and when we see the results we can give you an idea what's gone wrong. Hoping the C330 is working OK for you (y)

Last edited:
I was happily taking photos on a compact recently and was absolutely convinced they'd be fine because my phone photos in the same place looked good. Alas, they were all grossly underexposed, except for the few outdoor shots which proved that the camera and processing were OK. I then listened really carefully to it, and sure enough you could hear the shutter closing after a second or so. I'd been clicking and winding on before the exposure was complete. :oops: :$

It happens to us all, I got a blank roll of film from one that should have contained some cracking holiday shots of my best friends stag do. On the plus side it sounds like your EM only needs the seals doing and a broken F501 is the perfect excuse to go camera shopping [emoji6] For peace of mind Harrison Cameras in Sheffield offer a 12 month warranty on all used equipment and they're surprisingly fair on price.

I'll add that I'm in no way connected to them. I've bought from them and encouraged friends to do so. And if their analogue photography sales are steady it's always handy to have a local shop that stocks film etc [emoji16]

Well I'd like to add "bloody film cameras"..there are two cameras in my life that have really annoyed me. I've posted before about the Petri MF-1 (a camera I liked as it was just a bit smaller compared to an OM) where it had an intermittent light leak...tried everything tape, paint etc and realised the film testing was costing me more than the camera was worth, so in the bin it went (well dismantled for spare screws).
In my drawer gathering dust, was a Konica FT-1 and I'd forgotten why it was there until my memory cells decided to work and remembered I'd bought three bodies over the years all half working and swapped bits over and got one working....well fine until all the exposure meter diodes suddenly stopped working, so in the drawer it went and after about a year I tried it again and all the diodes started working, but after a few weeks they blacked out so in the drawer it went again...anyway after about another year got the camera out again (the other day) and the diodes are still not working but another weird fault has developed in that the vertical shutter will only fire every 6 seconds o_O erm seems a capacitor has to charge up to operate the shutter.
Will I ever get a FT-1 again..no chance.

In my drawer gathering dust, was a Konica FT-1 and I'd forgotten why it was there until my memory cells decided to work and remembered I'd bought three bodies over the years all half working and swapped bits over and got one working....well fine until all the exposure meter diodes suddenly stopped working, so in the drawer it went and after about a year I tried it again and all the diodes started working, but after a few weeks they blacked out so in the drawer it went again...anyway after about another year got the camera out again (the other day) and the diodes are still not working but another weird fault has developed in that the vertical shutter will only fire every 6 seconds o_O erm seems a capacitor has to charge up to operate the shutter.
Will I ever get a FT-1 again..no chance.
I've had an FS1 gathering dust in a drawer for years, although I can't now recall what was actually wrong with it, although I suspect it was motor related. :thinking: I've just had a look and there are a couple of battery contacts that need cleaned up, so I'll try to do that and see what happens. If you think there may be any of it that could be used for your DIY, just let me know and I can get it off to you. (y)

I've had an FS1 gathering dust in a drawer for years, although I can't now recall what was actually wrong with it, although I suspect it was motor related. :thinking: I've just had a look and there are a couple of battery contacts that need cleaned up, so I'll try to do that and see what happens. If you think there may be any of it that could be used for your DIY, just let me know and I can get it off to you. (y)

Thanks Peter I do have a FS-1 but usually carry two cameras around and if I can get it working it would be better than the outdated TC model. I can swap it for a complete OM2 but you can't get it working cos in trying to get the shutter button working... completely ruined the mechanism.

I always budget a CLA on film cameras I buy - only problem is it stops me acquiring a bargain really.

I always budget a CLA on film cameras I buy - only problem is it stops me acquiring a bargain really.

Well it can be a hobby buying things for peanuts to see if they work or an easy fix.....I picked up an advanced A3 printer (Epson Photo 2100) with all attachments and instruction booklet etc for 20p....of course it didn't work properly but found out, on the net, that after so much use Epson put a time bomb in to send back for service o_O....but also found out that you can enter a code to get around this and bingo. (y)

You get used to cameras operating one way and Canon produce a camera which works in reverse..on the EOS 300 it showed 19 so thought I'll takes some shots today to finish the film up, after about 9 shots started to worry as I knew I'd put 24 exp film in and on the back it showed 10 Huh! Then it suddenly dawned on me that the number of exp you see on the back (EOS300v) is what's left :rolleyes: i.e. other cameras count up this one counts down.

A couple of weeks ago I lost a roll of film in the post, destined for development at FilmDev. I'm still annoyed about it!

A couple of weeks ago I lost a roll of film in the post, destined for development at FilmDev. I'm still annoyed about it!

Oh that must be really annoying. Was that small parcel or large letter? If small parcel, you might be able to claim something from Royal Fail?

Oh that must be really annoying. Was that small parcel or large letter? If small parcel, you might be able to claim something from Royal Fail?
It was probably a small parcel, but I threw away the receipt... it's probably not worth the effort tbh!

It was probably a small parcel, but I threw away the receipt... it's probably not worth the effort tbh!
If you can spare the time to do it, then complain and make a compensation claim if you can. If people just shrug it off and say nothing if things go missing in the post, then what is the incentive for the delivery company to stop this happening?

On a less general level, have you phoned Filmdev to ask if it's got lodged in their system somehow or was delivered without a return address, or something like that?

If you can spare the time to do it, then complain and make a compensation claim if you can. If people just shrug it off and say nothing if things go missing in the post, then what is the incentive for the delivery company to stop this happening?

On a less general level, have you phoned Filmdev to ask if it's got lodged in their system somehow or was delivered without a return address, or something like that?
This has highlighted an interesting point for me, as I've just sent slide film off to Ag and print film to Filmdev this lunchtime. The Ag film goes in their prepaid envelope, but I have to pay the full processing and return postage cost to get a receipt code to put on the envelope. If that goes missing in the post, I've already forked out £32-odd for the 5 films. The Filmdev one cost £2.95 second class post, but if it goes missing I won't be charged for processing and return postage of the negs, so that's quite a difference. Obviously neither includes the cost of the film itself, so that isn't a comparison item. (and just out of interest, the Filmdev film is a mono MF one to see how their scans compare to my home processed and V700 scanned efforts) :thinking:

This has highlighted an interesting point for me, as I've just sent slide film off to Ag and print film to Filmdev this lunchtime. The Ag film goes in their prepaid envelope, but I have to pay the full processing and return postage cost to get a receipt code to put on the envelope. If that goes missing in the post, I've already forked out £32-odd for the 5 films. The Filmdev one cost £2.95 second class post, but if it goes missing I won't be charged for processing and return postage of the negs, so that's quite a difference. Obviously neither includes the cost of the film itself, so that isn't a comparison item. (and just out of interest, the Filmdev film is a mono MF one to see how their scans compare to my home processed and V700 scanned efforts) :thinking:

I'm sure if your films didn't arrive at AG then you'd be able to give them a call and they'd credit you with, or refund, the D&P and return postage costs? AG are a long-established company so I imagine this has happened from time to time and they'll have a set procedure in place.

I'm sure if your films didn't arrive at AG then you'd be able to give them a call and they'd credit you with, or refund, the D&P and return postage costs? AG are a long-established company so I imagine this has happened from time to time and they'll have a set procedure in place.
I'd certainly like to think so, it was just that it struck me as 2 completely different ways of doing business. I think the Filmdev model appeals more as I can choose the postage and whether it is signed for, but they don't do E6. The good thing about Ag is that they email to tell you when the film has been checked in at the lab and what the rough turnaround time will be.

Just had an email from Ag saying films received.(y)

I'd certainly like to think so, it was just that it struck me as 2 completely different ways of doing business. I think the Filmdev model appeals more as I can choose the postage and whether it is signed for, but they don't do E6. The good thing about Ag is that they email to tell you when the film has been checked in at the lab and what the rough turnaround time will be.
If it's C41 'develop only' I often find AG's turn-around time is same day (depending on the post). My last two rolls were posted on Weds and the negs were back through my letterbox on Friday. Also, I'm not sure Filmdev do 'develop only' (?), and it usually takes a few days to get my negs back through the post from them, and they're in an A4+ size envelope that won't fit through the letterbox without bending or folding, whereas AG post negs in an A5 size card envelope that easily fits my letterbox. The difference for me can be a trip to the sorting office to collect if I'm out when the post is delivered, if the postperson doesn't risk it and bend the envelope so it will fit through the letterbox.

Quality wise, I've been pleased with the service from both Filmdev and AG, and I trade with both of them depending on the service wanted and the timescales I require.

Just had an email from Ag saying films received.(y)
You'll probably have an email from them this afternoon saying 'order dispatched', so get the scanner ready for tomorrows post. (y)

They contacted me first, to say they'd received a ripped envelope with my note inside, but no film :( I blame myself, I should have used a jiffy envelope, or something sturdy. I won't do it again!

If it's C41 'develop only' I often find AG's turn-around time is same day (depending on the post). My last two rolls were posted on Weds and the negs were back through my letterbox on Friday. Also, I'm not sure Filmdev do 'develop only' (?), and it usually takes a few days to get my negs back through the post from them, and they're in an A4+ size envelope that won't fit through the letterbox without bending or folding, whereas AG post negs in an A5 size card envelope that easily fits my letterbox. The difference for me can be a trip to the sorting office to collect if I'm out when the post is delivered, if the postperson doesn't risk it and bend the envelope so it will fit through the letterbox.

Quality wise, I've been pleased with the service from both Filmdev and AG, and I trade with both of them depending on the service wanted and the timescales I require.

You'll probably have an email from them this afternoon saying 'order dispatched', so get the scanner ready for tomorrows post. (y)

My films are E6, and email suggests later next week for return, which is what I was expecting. Earlier would be a bonus. ;)

Current estimated turnaround times:
Develop only C41 & B&W - normally within 24 hours of receipt.
Develop only E6 - normally within 3-5 days of receipt.

... Also, I'm not sure Filmdev do 'develop only' (?), and it usually takes a few days to get my negs back through the post from them, and they're in an A4+ size envelope that won't fit through the letterbox without bending or folding, whereas AG post negs in an A5 size card envelope that easily fits my letterbox. The difference for me can be a trip to the sorting office to collect if I'm out when the post is delivered, if the postperson doesn't risk it and bend the envelope so it will fit through the letterbox.

In the notes for Filmdev's order, ask them for a soft envelope, mine always goes through the letterbox now.

They contacted me first, to say they'd received a ripped envelope with my note inside, but no film :( I blame myself, I should have used a jiffy envelope, or something sturdy. I won't do it again!
That’s a real shame, I’ve had films go missing in the past and those rolls always had the best shots I’d ever taken on them.

That’s a real shame, I’ve had films go missing in the past and those rolls always had the best shots I’d ever taken on them.

Yes, like the not-loaded Portra 400 at Onich, I can still picture those fabulous shots even now. Dunno if I'll ever get over it!

Yes, like the not-loaded Portra 400 at Onich, I can still picture those fabulous shots even now. Dunno if I'll ever get over it!
Sorry to hear that Chris, I didn't realise you'd done a 'Badger'! I did that at the first F&C trip to the Black Country Museum, where a non-winding roll of Portra 800 left me with 37 shots of nothing. At least I realised what I'd done when I got to frame 38, so I was able to save the expense of developing a blank and very expensive film and use it again, loading it properly this time.

As for Charlotte's mishap, if I post an 'important' 35mm film, in addition to using a padded envelope I also put it in the plastic film canister along with a slip of paper with my name and return address wrapped round the film cartridge and rubber banded to it. That way I might be in with a chance if it does squeeze out of the end of the envelope in the franking machine or something like that.

Last edited:
If you have many cameras and rotate them sometimes it can take ages for something that can be a large or small annoyance....well the latest camera for me is the Nikon F90x in that I had taken six shots and wanted to transfer the film to another camera, I didn't want the film to wind back into the cassette so took the film out using a changing bag..h'mm the counter stayed at 6 shots after opening the back, so put a spare film in and it started to count from six onwards o_O, anyway to clear the counter let the camera wind the spare film back into the cassette.
Also noticed the camera doesn't fire if the back is opened which can be annoying if you want to check things...and while looking at the manual (cos I forgot how to rewind the film :rolleyes:) noticed the camera does spot metering (y)

Last edited:
The email came yesterday and the unmounted strips arrived within the past hour, so postbox Thursday pm to letterbox Tuesday lunchtime. Kudos to Ag for a really fast turnaround, and the Royal Mail as well.:)

(should also say that my 120 Acros posted 2nd class to Filmdev at the same time was available for downloading yesterday lunchtime, so kudos to them as well!)

Last edited:
Well I'm not very happy with EOS 300v and AF zoom @ 200mm, for a moon shot, as it was just hunting and couldn't focus, this zoom is just AF and has no way of manual focusing :( the Nikon F90x can't focus either...h'mm progress from manual focus lenses :rolleyes: so I'll stick an EF to M42 adapter on and use an old fashioned 200mm prime.
Anyone interested in shooting the moon it's covered by the digi guys https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/what-is-the-best-lens-for-moon-shots.199323/

Last edited:
Well I'm not very happy with EOS 300v and AF zoom @ 200mm, for a moon shot, as it was just hunting and couldn't focus, this zoom is just AF and has no way of manual focusing :( the Nikon F90x can't focus either...h'mm progress from manual focus lenses :rolleyes: so I'll stick an EF to M42 adapter on and use an old fashioned 200mm prime.
Anyone interested in shooting the moon it's covered by the digi guys https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/what-is-the-best-lens-for-moon-shots.199323/
Did you try putting the centre focus point on the edge of the moon (trying vertical and horizontal edges) to see if it would lock on then? Not sure how you'd recompose the shot to put the moon where you wanted afterwards, but at 200mm there should be plenty of crop room available if it's a moon only shot! ;)

Did you try putting the centre focus point on the edge of the moon (trying vertical and horizontal edges) to see if it would lock on then? Not sure how you'd recompose the shot to put the moon where you wanted afterwards, but at 200mm there should be plenty of crop room available if it's a moon only shot! ;)

Well I'm not going to bother with AF and use a manual camera with a 2Xs converter with a manual 200mm prime (=400mm)....It's not easy shooting the moon (well for me as a beginner) as really using say a 200mm it's still small in the frame and need enlarging until the shot breaks up with grain or whatever. Then exposure for a bright moon is the same as snow and fools the meter. Then guys say sometimes a full moon is not the best as you lose shadows formed by craters and mountains etc. o_O
All should have a go AFAIK you don't have to be up at silly hours in the morning, and you can always say.... been there done it (y)
AAMOI it's amazing how fast the moon travels
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06SXYrI783U

It'll still have difficulty keeping up with your uphill cycling pace though Bri;):D

:( I need an electric bike, but probably would get knackered lifting it over places like stiles etc on footpaths :eek:

:( I need an electric bike, but probably would get knackered lifting it over places like stiles etc on footpaths :eek:
You know you shouldn't be cycling on footpaths Brian, its against the law or in contravention of the countryside code or something. Jack Hargreaves would be spinning in his grave.

You know you shouldn't be cycling on footpaths Brian, its against the law or in contravention of the countryside code or something. Jack Hargreaves would be spinning in his grave.

well yeah but I rarely see anybody (y) Once upon a time they were probably used to connect villages or to a church (or whatever) and it's bloody annoying when the M25 or M40 cuts the footpaths in half.

Last edited:
Back