Bluebell Locations North East

Hi Danny

The woods around Morpeth are supposed to be good for bluebells, but I'm not sure which wood (which is of limited help, I know). Another place where I did see bluebells a couple of years ago is between Morpeth and Mitford. There's a path that takes you along the Wansbeck from Morpeth and under the A1 flyover. IIRC just after the flyover you pass along the edge of a field with some trees on your left - when I last did the walk there were loads of bluebells there. I can't guarantee they're still there though - a few years ago Hepburn wood was full of the things, I went there last year - nothing.

Anyway, good luck - hope you find some

Hi Danny
The woods around Morpeth are supposed to be good for bluebells, but I'm not sure which wood (which is of limited help, I know). Another place where I did see bluebells a couple of years ago is between Morpeth and Mitford. There's a path that takes you along the Wansbeck from Morpeth and under the A1 flyover. IIRC just after the flyover you pass along the edge of a field with some trees on your left - when I last did the walk there were loads of bluebells there. I can't guarantee they're still there though - a few years ago Hepburn wood was full of the things, I went there last year - nothing.
Anyway, good luck - hope you find some

Thanks Lorraine, some really useful info there.

I've heard good things about Chopwell Woods so may try there as well.

I can see this being harder than I thought :)

Last edited:
I hope you find some Danny. Just a thought, it may be a little early - my neighbour has some in her garden and they aren't in flower yet. Good luck :)

I live in Teesside and I know there's a good spot at the bottom of Roseberry Topping appropriately named bluebell wood. I've not been this year but there's always a good amount there. Might be a bit far for you mind.

I live in Teesside and I know there's a good spot at the bottom of Roseberry Topping appropriately named bluebell wood. I've not been this year but there's always a good amount there. Might be a bit far for you mind.

Cheers mate - I was up that way the other day, wish I'd known. If this weather holds out I might make the trip, it's only 45 mins on a good day.

Plessey Woods on the River Blyth near Bedlington has lots of bluebells.

The woods between Morpeth and Mitford, which Dem55 refers to, are called Scotch Ghyll woods and are good. Where the road towards Mitford takes a sharp left to cross a bridge, take the track going straight on for parking.

There's also an area on the other side of Morpeth which my Dad calls "bluebell woods" but I haven't tried it myself. On the road out of Morpeth towards Pegswood, there is a lay-by near the bottom of the bank that leads to St Georges Hospital. A path leads uphill from that layby.

I found another good spot this afternoon, near Seaton Delaval. Drive south on the A192 towards Seaton Delaval. Just after you pass a pub called the Keel Row, there's a bit of woodland on the same side of the road and it's carpeted with them. If you carry on and take a right at the roundabout, there's a small parking area beside a nature reserve, it's not far to walk back. There's a path into the woodland from the roundabout

Last edited:
Plessey Woods on the River Blyth near Bedlington has lots of bluebells.

The woods between Morpeth and Mitford, which Dem55 refers to, are called Scotch Ghyll woods and are good. Where the road towards Mitford takes a sharp left to cross a bridge, take the track going straight on for parking.

There's also an area on the other side of Morpeth which my Dad calls "bluebell woods" but I haven't tried it myself. On the road out of Morpeth towards Pegswood, there is a lay-by near the bottom of the bank that leads to St Georges Hospital. A path leads uphill from that layby.

That's absolute Gold Kevin - thanks for that. Very much appreciated!

I found another good spot this afternoon, near Seaton Delaval. Drive south on the A192 towards Seaton Delaval. Just after you pass a pub called the Keel Row, there's a bit of woodland on the same side of the road and it's carpeted with them. If you carry on and take a right at the roundabout, there's a small parking area beside a nature reserve, it's not far to walk back. There's a path into the woodland from the roundabout

Fantastic stuff! I'm heading out midweek so fingers crossed for me!

@danny_bhoy when are you heading out? if you fancy it early on tuesday morning OR late evening before sunset i'll be up for coming with you? I only live 5 mins from there and wanting some decent bluebell shots.

Hey mate - I've got both the kids birthdays early next week so my thinking was to head out on Friday for sunset. Do you reckon you can make Friday evening?

Hey mate - I've got both the kids birthdays early next week so my thinking was to head out on Friday for sunset. Do you reckon you can make Friday evening?
I'm working 8-8 mate but could maybe make it along straight from work, wouldnt be till about half 8. I'm going to swing past those woods tonight after work to see whats what and see if its worth getting out of bed at 4am lol

I'm working 8-8 mate but could maybe make it along straight from work, wouldnt be till about half 8. I'm going to swing past those woods tonight after work to see whats what and see if its worth getting out of bed at 4am lol

Haha let me know the score when you've had a scout mate. Weathers meant to be good all week so fingers crossed they're out in force!

Looks like hollingside lane is the nearest parking, head towards the crem then turn left following the signs for the botanical gardens :cool:

Had a ride down this morning Danny and its pretty spectacular!

There's a few here on my flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/62405817@N05/with/13935899717

Park right outside the botanic gardens and your straight onto them, I would say they seem to be starting to die back so would go sooner rather than later as it would be a shame to miss them ;)

Looks like it's packed with them Graeme!

I'm going to try and get down there for sunset either tonight or tomorrow.

Really appreciate all the info mate - promised myself if get some bluebell shots this year after missing out for the last couple.

Back