Bored, So I Did This.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
I joined The Guild of Photographers in 2019, mainly to get crit and feedback on my images. Long story short, they offer various awards, one of which is The Photographer's Bar. Some of you may have heard of it, even got one.

Opportunities to get out and about have been lacking a bit this last year or so, apart from a brief respite in the summer months of course. I wanted to keep my eye in and I'm glad I did. Paradoxically, not taking many images this year has actually improved my presentation and going for The Bar has helped too, as images submitted really do get put through the mill. As with all things judgey, it's subjective of course but as it's a panel of judges rather than just one, it's a little more of an objective result.

Anyway, my Bar in Natural World Photography came through the door today, I see a bespoke frame in its future.

Sorry for shouting about it, I'm not good at much else so I'm going to endulge. ;)

PS, I'm glad I didn't try for product photography. :)149156446_10160676859742892_2460685412717675515_o.jpg

Last edited:
Well done Dale

Well done

Many congrats from me...Frame? No, stuck to the wall tiles is far more avante-garde! :cool::ROFLMAO:

Well done Dale.

Thanks for the comments. (y)

My Q panel is next. I'll update on that as it happens.

Pity you don't know any decent framers.... ;) :LOL:

I don't :LOL: ........ my blades are away being sharpened and getting some materials is next to impossible right now. I may recycle one from the attic. I'm sure there'll be one up there on standby.

I had a look at the website and am considering joining. What is your opinion of the organisation, what do you personally get from it?

I had a look at the website and am considering joining. What is your opinion of the organisation, what do you personally get from it?

Sorry, I've only jusy seen this, I've not been on much lately.

At first, when I joined in 2019, I didn't feel I got much from it at all, the first year was very odd.I almost left in 2020. I joined mainly looking for crit though and that has been the biggest thing for me. There's a monthly 'competition', although I don't consider it a competition but it follows that idea where you submit images and they get judged by a panel of judges and basically awarded points, or not as the case may be. This is how you get the Bar in your category and when you cross the threshold of points needed, which is an average over all submitted images, you achieve the Bar in that category.

It changed for when I joined a Buddy group. These groups consist of a few other photographers who are also Guild members that you can join. Getting into a buddy group can take a while as they only allow a few members at a time. Your 'buddies' will be chasing their Bars too and they will post images within the group for crit as will you and this is where I have gained the most from my membership. I'm seeing things now that I would've missed say 2 years ago and I feel I have improved because of that. I would pay the membership fee for this crit from within my group alone. There are other benefits too that The Guild offers, which depend on your genre(s) although being non pro myself, I've not made much use of that side of it yet.

They also offer other qualifications, you will have 'registered' status on joining, then you can do a 'Qualified' panel, which I am doing this week and then move on to 'Craftsman' and 'Mastercraftsman'.

The Bar is nice to have but for me, it was the crit that helped me achieve it that was important. You won't get 'nice image' within your group, it can be brutal at times but I improved because of that.

I think it's what you make of it, you can pay your membership and just sit on it, expecting things just to happen, like I did at first. You have to make it happen though and I'm glad I did.

Last edited:
Back