Brake Disks in Winter

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
So my snail spends most of its life on the kerbside and at the moment isn't being driven a lot so the brake disks get crusty, any trade secrets for helping them out is there a spray product that might help?

IMO no! Anything to spray to mitigate such surface rust film will also be a lubricant......and you don't want (petroleum based) lubricants on your brakes disks :(

Mine show orange spotting after about 3 hours at this time of year. I just make sure that I give the pedal a gentle press to clear the rust off them before hitting any main roads.

IMO no! Anything to spray to mitigate such surface rust film will also be a lubricant......and you don't want (petroleum based) lubricants on your brakes disks :(
i wondered about a slight wax product ? When i used to tow a RIB years ago as a diver we used to spray the disks with WD40 after a dip in the sea used to burn off in a few hundread yards.

Do you use it yourself, Gav? Could be handy on a couple of the bikes that see very little use over the cooler season!
I know guys who do use it, I've not needed it myself as yet, I use their cleaning products, I can't fault any of their stuff I've used, but I've no first hand experience of this one, sorry.

Reactions: Nod
Use other BH products which are top drawer and wouldn't expect this to be anything else. Been looking at Lanoguard for a job but this may work out just as good and a lot cheaper.

I have ordered some to spray on my disks as i am currently leaving my car unused for about a week at a time and when i do use it less than 10 miles a time.

You'll need to get the car up so you can get at the insides of the discs and rotate the wheels to get at the bits hidden by the callipers. If you have vented discs, you'll need the wheels off to get at the middle too.

You'll need to get the car up so you can get at the insides of the discs and rotate the wheels to get at the bits hidden by the callipers. If you have vented discs, you'll need the wheels off to get at the middle too.

nah i will just mix a solution up in an old garden sprayer i have and just give it a good blast when i park it up each time.

No point in doing it half heartedly. You'll end up with uneven disc wear, requiring replacements earlier than you would leaving them untreated.

No point in doing it half heartedly. You'll end up with uneven disc wear, requiring replacements earlier than you would leaving them untreated.

I am not that bothered about 100% prevention, I just want to give them a better chance over the next 3 /4 months, remember its a citroen C3 new disks are like £11 each

So just leave them untreated! The surface rust (if left even) will rub off after a rotation when the brakes are first applied and will barely affect the longevity of the discs and pads. If you can park on the flat, leave the handbrake off and the car in gear/P to keep the rust even.

So just leave them untreated! The surface rust (if left even) will rub off after a rotation when the brakes are first applied and will barely affect the longevity of the discs and pads. If you can park on the flat, leave the handbrake off and the car in gear/P to keep the rust even.

nah it sits on the road and the disk facing the road gets sprayer when gary gritter and clan come by etc plus i only have disks on the front its drums on the back
like i have said just want to give them a boost for £20 it should just hep them get through this winter without needing work.

Back