Daily BRASH's Challenge

BRASH

fracster's right hand
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Not a 365 as such in the meaning of a shot a day (so Mods, feel free to move it if needs be) but a 365 day challenge.

A chum at work challenged me to picture 100, British wild birds in a year as of 1 September 2012 (now extended due to Heart Attack:bang::bang:). Thinking it might be easy I said nae problem. Now having thought about it, I'm not so sure:D:D

I was just going to keep a spreadsheet at work with the details of the birds I take but thought it'd be a waste not to do something with them, so I'm gonna lump them on here.

The deal is all birds in the wild count, no captive birds or ornamentals (unless gone feral) and certainly no feeder shots.

I hope to get 80% of a quality that is acceptable on the Birds Forum, on here, the others for ID purposed only.

I doesn't mean if I capture one bird, I don't take any more pictures of that species. As I go along and if get better pictures of birds already posted, I'll add them or replace the originals.

The down side is at some point I'll have to post pictures of bloody Robins, Mute Swans and Mallard Ducks.:bang::LOL:

So it begins:

Last edited:
1)

Whitethroats

Bardspark area, near Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire - 03/09/2012.

WT-1_filtered.jpg

WT-2_filtered.jpg

Last edited:
2)

Grey Wagtail.

River Cowie, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire. 03/09/2012

GW3-1_filtered.jpg

Last edited:
3)

Mallard Duck.

River Cowie, Stonehaven. Aberdeenshire. 04/08/2012.

Tried to do something a wee bit different with this bird to make it a tad more interesting (as some of you know, Mallards, Mute Swans and Robins, bore me:D:D).

Taken in broad daylight, strong sunshine but in heavily a shaded area of the river. No flash, just the natural sunlight highlighting her nearside as she emerged from the gloom. Only PP was a crop, sharpen and NR.

MD7-1_filtered.jpg

Last edited:
I agree a great idea for a challenge, I will look with interest as it's my favourite subject but just haven't the lens yet for the job.

Atb brash in your quest.

Cheers. I think it's gonna be a long road but I'm up for it;);)

4)

Redshank

Cowie Harbour, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire - 07/09/2012

Not a very good one. It was quite far off so a big crop and some sharpening to try to get it back a bit. I'll replace it with a better one when I get one:D

RSSS-2.jpg

Cowie shore front, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire - 23/01/2013

A wee bit better.

Redshanks-3_filtered_zpsed378015.jpg

Last edited:
5)

Robin:bang:

Shores of Loce Eil, nr Fort William - 10/09/2012

Robins1-1_filtered.jpg

Cowie Viaduct, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire - 03/11/2012

Robin-2_filtered.jpg

Robin-3_filtered.jpg

Last edited:
Nice challenge Brash and a good start.

Where is your location if you don't mind me asking ?

PS - How much will you be paying for shots by August ?

I know that you don't like them but that's a cracking Robin photo (y)

Matt

It's not that I don't like Robins Matt, tho they can be nasty wee buggers, it's more that I don't like pictures of em, in respect that a lot of folk put up pics, thinking they are Xmas cards and they're now wildlife photographers:D:D Boring!!:p:p

Robins, Mute Swans and Mallards have got to be the 3 easiest wild birds in this country to get close enough to to photograph, hence I'm no keen on pics of theme unless there is something different to them. I do see their value in the bigger picture of learning cure of bird photography but for me that's about it.;)

I've tried to be slightly more creative wit the Mallard and Robin shots to make them a tad more interesting than the norm. The Robin shot appealed to me because it's on the granite foreshore of a Highland sea loch and they're not normally associated with the seaside (a bit lame but hey, ho:LOL:)

Cheers for taking the time(y)

One of your best, excellent subject (y)

Willie Wallace already managed to sack York. I'm on my way to do the rest of the area FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!:D

Last edited:
Brash I think the robin shot is a peach mate bloody love it and is one of my personal favourite birds (y)(y)

Cheers Vince(y). Just got the Mute Swans to go and that's the terrible trio done:LOL:

6)

Rock Pipit

Cowie Harbour, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire - 15/09/2012

RPD-1_filtered.jpg

Pic added - 16/09/2012

Cove Habour, Aberdeen - 16/09/2012

OC-12_filtered.jpg

Last edited:
7)

Dunlin

Cowie Harbour, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire - 15/09/2012

RPD-5_filtered.jpg

RPD-2_filtered.jpg

It's not that I don't like Robins Matt, tho they can be nasty wee buggers, it's more that I don't like pictures of em, in respect that a lot of folk put up pics, thinking they are Xmas cards and they're now wildlife photographers:D:D Boring!!:p:p

Robins, Mute Swans and Mallards have got to be the 3 easiest wild birds in this country to get close enough to to photograph, hence I'm no keen on pics of theme unless there is something different to them. I do see their value in the bigger picture of learning cure of bird photography but for me that's about it.;)

I've tried to be slightly more creative wit the Mallard and Robin shots to make them a tad more interesting than the norm. The Robin shot appealed to me because it's on the granite foreshore of a Highland sea loch and they're not normally associated with the seaside (a bit lame but hey, ho:LOL:)

Cheers for taking the time(y)

(y) I know exactly what you mean and a point put accross very well I have to say loving both of them since my last visit (y) and two birds that I'd not personally heard of with is no shock really :LOL:

Matt

Cheers again. I'm in mourning today as I busted my MT-24EX Macro flash:bang::bang::bang::bang:. Bummer, so off out to cheer myself up;)

Last edited:
Thanks again Vince(y)

9)

Oyster Catcher

Ythan Estuary, Newburgh, Aberdeenshire - 16/09/2012

OC-02_filtered.jpg

OC-05_filtered.jpg

Inverurie Graveyard - 29/04/2013

OC-1_filtered by Brashman 201, on Flickr

Last edited:
10)

Goldcrest

Near Ellon, Aberdeenshire - 16/09/2012

OC-08_filtered_filtered.jpg

Last edited:
11)

Right, this gets rid of that one:puke:

Mute Swan

Loch Saugh, Drumtochty Glen, Aberdeenshire - 17/09/2012

aMS1-1_filtered_filtered.jpg

aMS1-3_filtered.jpg

12)

Huge crops I'm afraid, even with the 800mm lens. They were a couple of hunders yards + away from the hide:bang:. Still, it is a species added. I may get better shots later.

Shoveler Ducks

Loch of Kinnordy, Kirriemuir, Angus - 19/09/2012

IMG_2458_edited-1_filtered_zps6cdee114.jpg

IMG_2454_edited-3_filtered_zps70e06a1d.jpg

A wee bit closer with this one (not much tho) but the 500mm f/4 IS made a difference.

Also Loch of Kinnordy, Kirriemuir, Angus - 13/06/2013

RW + 2-1_filtered by Brashman 201, on Flickr

Last edited:
13)

Grey Heron

River Deveron, by Huntly, Aberdeenshire - 20/09/2012

Heron1-4_filtered_zps767119f8.jpg

Heron1-2_filtered_zpscd46e60b.jpg

Just found this thread BRASH so all the best from me.(y) Some good pics already - keep it up.

Must admit, I'd thought about this sort of thing myself, but I'll wait to see how you get on.;)

Try 'The Lurgies' at Montrose Basin for some interesting and different subjects. Also Kinnordy at Kirriemuir can be very good.

Give me a shout when you want to see the dippers.;)

Thanks Vince, appreciated.(y)

John - The Shovelers, distant as they are, were taken at Kinnordy, yesterday (19 Sept '12). Cheers for the support.(y)

I'll get a local dipper yet. There's usually a few on the Cowie and Carron, burns here in Stoney, but the light is terrible there unless you hit it at the right time of day. :bang::bang:

Need help with a local KF then??? :naughty: :LOL:

14)

Common Buzzard

South Deeside Road, near Ballater, Aberdeensire - 21/09/2012

Buz-1_filtered_zpsaaa3f85a.jpg

Last edited:
15)

Tree Creeper

Rear of Mar Lodge, Braemar Aberdeenshire - 21/09/2012

Just a record shot for the challenge. I hope to get a more acceptable shot than this effort:bang:

MP-TCB-3_filtered_filtered_zps72aecfa2.jpg

Kinnordy Loch, Angus - 12/05/2013

TC-1_filtered by Brashman 201, on Flickr

Last edited:
16)

Herring Gull

Stonehaven Beach, Aberdeenshire - 26/09/2012

AHG-1_filtered_filtered.jpg

Back