Briony's 52 2010 Week 34 SURFACES added 24/08

Right please bear with me as I have 6 weeks catch up to do and will try my best, but still having to find my mo jo and love of 7 d still. These were taken with my 450 in very bright light (110 degrees of pure sunshine and yest it was hot !)

I am going to cheat a bit as some of these were taken on my recent trip to Arizona and Orlando.

Stop, this was taken at a rodeo where the wranglers trains to turn the cattle before they do it from horseback. These are all young rodeo bulls and it does not hurt them in any way I can assure you but it took a lot of strength to wrestle these to the ground.

I am sure there is C & C so fire away but please enjoy as much as I did on holiday.

WhiteStallionRanchArizona2010343.jpg

ISOLATION

This is a picture of a Cactus flower that only flowers in the night and then shuts up in the morning and usually there is only one flower on the cactus so it is sort of in "Isolation"

The feathers I thought looked a bit like feathers.

WhiteStallionRanchArizona201072.jpg

Last edited:
QUALITY

I liked the "quality" of these photos so thought that might qualify;-

Orlando201047.jpg

Orlando201096.jpg

When I first looked at this I thought it was a post in the weeds then realised it was a single bullrush standing there so hope this will qualify for "Post"

Orlando2010182.jpg

Welcome back Nicki. I hope you had a good break :D

I agree with Dade on the action shots. Very good timing - the leaping dolphins in particular have come out well. Love the way that you've caught the water in that one.

Where these are lacking for me though is the composition. I know it's tough in that sort of situation, but the background's are a bit cluttered and there are some chopped off people / animals in all of them.
Some cropping to tidy up the presentation would help no end and a little sharpen when they're resized for the web.

What I really like though is your post shot.
I don't know why but there's something very appealing about it. I reckon this would look great as a contrasty B&W image.

Thanks Sarah,

I understand what you are saying about the cluttered backgrounds but I have tried to avoid this as much as possible and for those who have been to Sea World you know the Americans do things in a big way with lots of things etc.

Taken it on board and my report card says " Will try harder" LOL (y)

The bull rush shot, yep I kind like it too I will have a go at it in B & W (that is a new one for me as I hate B & W shots, hope it is easy to do in PP?

Well caught with good timing on the action shots... not easy in the heat of the moment, to compose cleanly etc... I think I'd be tempted to straighten them a little.

Like the detail on flower, looks a little dark on my screen, but that might be the contrast with the brightness behind and using a lappy monitor...

I like the bullrush shot too... a neat idea for post.

Looks like you had a really nice holiday Nicki.

The bull rush shot, yep I kind like it too I will have a go at it in B & W (that is a new one for me as I hate B & W shots, hope it is easy to do in PP?

It's very easy in PP - not sure what editing software you have, or I'd give you some pointers.

If you want me to have a try, I'll have a play with it to show you what I had in mind with it.

METAL

O.K. this is a not so good shot but really got to try and play catch up a bit as got really behind.:shrug:

WhiteStallionRanchArizona201015.jpg

An old mower I spotted on the ranch in Arizona

GRUNGE

My dog who insisted on going in the trout ponds whn they looked like this, thought it fitted the "grunge" theme really well, and she came out green also :LOL:

044-1.jpg

BEGINNINGS.

This is the beginnings of a "Teasel" in flower.

047-4.jpg

C & C welcome but trying hard to get back into this.

Will try and post the rest when I have the inspiration.(y)

ART

These were on the wall at intervals, mosaics, which I class as "art"

Noticed though they are not straight with the wall and do not know how to correct this :shrug:

WhiteStallionRanchArizona2010248.jpg

:wave: Welcome back Nicki and well done on the catch up.

The Teasel shot is beautiful. I really, really like that one . . . good colours and the DoF works well.
I also really like the mosaic one. Could do with a bit of a rotation to get it square in the frame, but I think you've captured that well.

The bear is close to being a stunner, but it looks like the focus was off - shame because the pose and the composition is great.

And that dog :puke: definitely grungey . . . Yuck !!!

Hi Nikki, good to see you back and catching up. Nice bunch of photos you have posted. The grunge one is excellent. I hope the dog did not catch anything nasty.

Love the mosaic - the colours are beautiful and it is definitely art.

That bear looks sooooo relaxed!

Teasle shot - excellent.

BTW, I still have not managed to train my red kites yet!

Jenny

Nikki, catching up again.

Love both the Teasel and the bear, although he looks a little soft on my screen. He does look relaxed though.

Thanks guys,

Yes he is a bit soft, I agree will have to revisit and take some better photos.

These 52's really are testing and especially trying to do wildlife with a little flora and fauna thrown in.

Grace, Endings, Electric and transform will be along shortly when I have inspiration at my fingertips :thinking:

I am always behind nowadays :bang:

Well caught up Nicki.. The teasal is excellent, the rest, except metal is good... Metal is on theme... but.... it's not as good, but you knew that ;)

Well caught up Nicki.. The teasal is excellent, the rest, except metal is good... Metal is on theme... but.... it's not as good, but you knew that ;)

(y) Pants isn't it but it got me through !!!!!!!!!!!!

Make a mental note again "MUST TRY HARDER" :LOL:

Working a bit out of order folks sorry

TRANSFORM.

Well here it is, I have taken one shot "TRANSFORMED" it into another and although I do not like black and white I think that this one works and it is wildlife!!!

From this.

WHFDay072.jpg

to this,

WHFDay072-1.jpg

Also done a bit of P P to remove the thicker bar at the bottom.

Hope you like it as it was a bit different for me and was trying to get a different take on wildlife.

Paw of a Snow Leopard.

Last edited:
GRACE

Well it had to be didn't it. :shrug: :LOL:

With the pure grace and elegance that these birds seem to show.

016-1.jpg

ENDINGS

Well after all these are the "Endings" of a Lion :LOL: :shrug:

WHFDay012endings.jpg

Found a bit hard to crop as I really did not want the platform in but if I had cropped any closer I would have chopped off one of his "endings" :LOL:

Very good Nicki...

Transform, nice bit of PP... looks like you've pushed up the exposure a bit, there's some blown out whites on the mono, that weren't on the colour... Perhaps, push the contrast a bit, watch those highlights, if that doesn't work how you think, push the shadows a bit harder.

Grace, lovely... excellent shot, you've got these nailed now (y) very graceful too...

Endings, that's one set of endings that would make short work of putting an end to many things in and of themselves ;) amazingly big paws (seems a poor word to describe those doesn't it) Nice work, the composition works, but I think I'd be tempted to remove that bit of beard on the left hand side.

Comments taken on board (y) as P P new to me and I get a bit frightened ovf over doing things, will have a play.

I had a quick play with it... I can post it if you like.

Here you go...

WHFDay072.jpg

Actually, not that much in it, if I lift the lid on my laptop and change the viewing angle... it helps with the areas that look burnt out on your image... Damn thing...

Last edited:
I love Grace. It just seems to be floating. Fabulous shot :clap::clap::clap:

Endings - very clever idea and you managed to get all four paws in the shot. Reminds me of when we were on safari last year, we came upon a couple of sleeping lions. I had a long lens on the camera, but the driver took us so close that all I could get in the photo was one huge paw!

Jenny

Some lovely shots here Nicki.

In particular Grace - cracking image, and I love the lions paws.

I like the snow leopard too but it's just a tiny bit soft on my screen and I would have liked just a little more DOF. Great composition though.

Hi Nicki, You've done really well to cach up - and some lovely shots too! I can never find anything original to say when other people have already given excellent feedback, so can I just add some praise. :D

Grunge: What a lab's made for - excellent! Did that earn him/her another soaking - in the bath? :LOL:

Grace: Beautiful shot of a beautiful bird. :clap:

Beginnings: I've never notice the flowers starting like this - good spot and very well taken. (y)

Jean

Grace is beautiful

Endings made me smile .. what big feet they have

Transform - fits the theme very nicely.

well done on catching up

Thank you all for your kind comments(y)

I still have Electric to go :thinking: but it will appear sometime.;)

Endings is brilliant (particularly if you crop it slightly at the left to remove the bit of mane). I hope you were a safe distance away....

Grace is beautiful - well done!

O.K. Here is "MOBILE"

This shot was taken by me from my MOBILE hide :shrug: I had in fact moved it today and within 1/2 hour this came down in fron to me:

IMG_7639_0204edit.jpg

My hide is one of Fracsters portable ones which someone on here has dubbed my "Porta loo" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Tenuous theme link? :) A little disappointing compared to your usual shots Nicki. Not as sharp or detailed as I'm sure you'd like. Saying that, I'd jump at the chance to be in a position to be this close to such a magnificent creature. You're a lucky lady.

Tenuous theme link? :) A little disappointing compared to your usual shots Nicki. Not as sharp or detailed as I'm sure you'd like. Saying that, I'd jump at the chance to be in a position to be this close to such a magnificent creature. You're a lucky lady.

Uhmmmmmmmm :thinking: I will have another go at PP as just learning or maybe swop it with another one, hang on ...........

Kitesonstubblefeeding14_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Oooh that's nice. I've no idea what it is, but I like it (y)

Back