Briony's 52 2010 Week 34 SURFACES added 24/08

Those peace shots are really good! Like them a lot. I have to say though, they would really benefit from a little contrast boost and a sharpen. Apart from that, bang on theme! (y)

Reindeer - long story but I work for a company that does parties for coorperate events, i.e formula one, famous people, children;s birthdays etc where we take around all sorts of animals i.e meerkats, skunks, Asian Owls, Boas Pythons, Gheckos Boss monitor lizard, loads loads more, ponies, etc and at Christmas we do alot with the reindeer. We have 8 of them (not for eating I may add although I have heard it is very nice:naughty:) and these have the summer off and need feet trimming etc as you can maginge they are feisty so and so's and not partial to having their feet trimmed :LOL: hence I am sporting a few bruises at the moment where they kicked me etc. We are actually going to break them to harness this summer, and that will be fun:eek:

It is good fun though but I don't have time to take photos but will one day and post some up for you. Meet lots of famous people etc and a great variety. Suits me just fine.

Those peace shots are really good! Like them a lot. I have to say though, they would really benefit from a little contrast boost and a sharpen. Apart from that, bang on theme! (y)

Yep I know and hoping to get to grips with PP very soon as I need to.

Thanks(y)

C & C welcome if I am not boring you all :LOL:

No way, I'm loving your wildlife shots and your passion shines through.

Bit of a catch up. :)

Single: I've never seen red kites, and it must be fantastic to have them on your doorstep (but I have got the whole of the New Forest to play in!)

This is a fantastic shot with just the right amount of space around the bird. Lovely. :clap::clap::clap:

Stare: It fits the bill and is also a lovely shot, despite the background which isn't in your control. (y)

Peace: An excellent set - especially straight from camera. A huge 'well done' from me. :D

Jean

I love all three shots - they make me laugh. The second one is most on theme but the third one is my favourite. There are all sorts of captions you could add to it.

Three very good shots Nicki, excellent straight out of the camera, as Sarah said, a boost to contrast will pop them nicely. Good details in all of them. The second one is excellent for the theme :clap: I agree with tracer about the third one, that's my fave. (y)

Lost my way and my mojo a bit this week, :( I need to find my way back so I think catch up will be needed.:shrug:

Close and indulgence will hopefully appear soon.

Had a thought (very rare) and wanted to post these for "Close" taken in Kenya last year and then that will give me a bit of lee way for "Indulgence" if I want to post another, but gets me out of a rut this week :shrug:
Sorry not much effort gone into this , this week but I promise I will try harder :shake:

KENYA029.jpg

KENYA028.jpg

KENYA2427-1.jpg

Last edited:
You certainly seem to be close to the elephants and camel(?) or do you just have a very very long lens?

I actually like the 3rd shot best because the closeness and the unusual angle give it a bit of an abstract element and makes a nice composition.

Shots not showing for me in post #330...

Ian.

I know why, I have deleted them from photobucket :bang::bang: will put them back on later if I get the chance sorry Duhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!:wacky:

That explains it then :)

Ian.

Wahay!

I like the texture of the trunk in that 1st shot. It really shows up well. Definitely close!

The elephant eye is also a really good capture. It's a real shame about that blown sky, but there's nothing you can do about that.

Ian.

All three shots have their strenths and weakness Nikki.

The best shot in terms of a photograph is the second for me, really nice compostion and crop, just a shame it doesnt have the contrast and colour punch that the first has.

The last shot has the most detail and is nice and sharp.

Good effort

The best shot in terms of a photograph is the second for me, really nice compostion and crop, just a shame it doesnt have the contrast and colour punch that the first has.

The last shot has the most detail and is nice and sharp.

Dan's already summed it all for me (y)
The second one could be an absolute stunner, but needs a bit more contrast for me.
So as it stands the third one is my favourite. The blown sky doesn't bother me - it kind of works with the angle you've chosen and there's some lovely detail in that eye.

I have to agree with Dan and Sarah :agree:...

Right here we go 2 in one again for me.

I decided to post this as "RESHOOT" for my SPEED week and also it is taken with my "INDULGENCE" the new 7D.

If you can appreciate just how fast these guys can go when diving:eek: but I am still so annoyed I clipped the bottom wing tip off.

I am still very proud ot it though (y) :D

But hey, just another excuse for more practice.

Hope you like it and as always C & C welcome.

002.jpg

Also with very good use of PP by someone you get this.

Completenosedivingkite.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know... I prefer the blurred one... :)

It's a cracking capture, and that's what's important here. I think the re-creation of the image in the pp'd version works much better in terms of composition, but it looks a tad overdone with the sharpening. However I suspect if I'd only seen the sharpened version, I'd be saying "flippin' well done!".

As a compromise between blur & sharpened one, maybe try lowering the opacity of the sharpening on the wings, but keep it sharp on the head.

Either way, it's a belter for this week, and IMO your best effort so far in this 52. Now you have to improve on this :) :)

Ian.

Right here we go 2 in one again for me.

I decided to post this as "RESHOOT" for my SPEED week and also it is taken with my "INDULGENCE" the new 7D.

If you can appreciate just how fast these guys can go when diving:eek: but I am still so annoyed I clipped the bottom wing tip off.

I am still very proud ot it though (y) :D

But hey, just another excuse for more practice.

Hope you like it and as always C & C welcome.

Also with very good use of PP by someone you get this.

Ha!!! New 7D eh? You minx!! I knew you wouldn't be able to resist for long :LOL::LOL:

The second one is over sharpened in my opinion. You just need to sort the crop on the first one (maybe crop it portrait with the bird slightly in the top right - room to swoop!) and sharpen just a touch and it'll be great! :clap:

EDIT: In fact, Nicki, if you would mail me the original I'd be happy to have a go for you?!

Last edited:
Ha!!! New 7D eh? You minx!! I knew you wouldn't be able to resist for long :LOL::LOL:

The second one is over sharpened in my opinion. You just need to sort the crop on the first one (maybe crop it portrait with the bird slightly in the top right - room to swoop!) and sharpen just a touch and it'll be great! :clap:

EDIT: In fact, Nicki, if you would mail me the original I'd be happy to have a go for you?!

P.M. me your e mail address and I will send it over.

I will say it was taken in JPEG as I was only "messing around"

That edit makes a huge difference to the composition - well done on that.

the blurred one certainly gives a sense of speed but the pp-ed one has nice details on the feathers! Guess I like them both :)

#2 gets my vote Nicki. The composition is much better without the wing being clipped, lovely capture well done.(y) Iain

Thnaks guys (y) think I may have my kites to myself for a few days to enable me to shoot some more and try and improve.(y)

A pitty about the clipped wing, but the shot itself is a corker... well done :clap:

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know I will be playing a huge "catch up" at some stage. I seem to have lost my "Mojo" :shrug: at present and my heart is not in it, off on holiday next sat (5th) so hopefully come home with some new ideas etc.

Please bear with me for a while (y)

Enjoy your holiday!

Ian.

Nicki that speed shot is fantastic!!!

I know what you mean about having lost your mojo, I've been feeling a bit like that myself...give yourself that break and I'm sure something will spark your enthusiasm again soon :) I am definitely looking forward to more kite shots!!!

Sorry guys have got very behind with this but hope to catch up in the next few weeks.
Hi guys and friends (well some of you!)

Had a tough time, being let down by a "so called togging buddy" who seems to have totally wiped me off the face of the earth, arranged days out but then never got in touch :wacky: but there you go that's folks for you, was always told never to trust or rely on anyone :shrug:

Anyway, back from hols and trying to get back into the swing of things once again, but using the 450 with satisfaction so I think my mind is made up on the 7D :shake:

So looking for another reliable togging buddy who just wants to go out and shoot some photos and have a laugh with it, if anyone lives close enough.:shrug:

Will try and play catch up so bear with me as I need to find the enthusiasm again.:thinking:

Welcome back Nicki...hope you had a great holiday! Certainly feel your pain with the losing of mojo...I am in the same boat. The weather has been gorgeous the last while, but I haven't taken one photo!! I just can't seem to find the drive to get out. I am spending more time reading posts on TP when I should be out shooting.

Sorry to hear about your togging buddy..if you come down my way (or if I am around your parts) hopefully we can make contact and boost our mojo!

Welcome back Nicki...hope you had a great holiday! Certainly feel your pain with the losing of mojo...I am in the same boat. The weather has been gorgeous the last while, but I haven't taken one photo!! I just can't seem to find the drive to get out. I am spending more time reading posts on TP when I should be out shooting.

Sorry to hear about your togging buddy..if you come down my way (or if I am around your parts) hopefully we can make contact and boost our mojo!

Thanks Grayman,
Togging buddy - who was that :shrug: obviously not one :thinking: perhaps another male going through the "mid life crisis " LOL

I will call if coming down your way thanks.(y)

Welcome back Nicki, hope you had a great holiday, and sorry to hear you were let down...

Back