broadband

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Been with vodafone for the last 18 months, contract is now over, paying £27 getting around 19mbps download and and 1.91mbps upload. Broadband does drop sometimes and mobile phones dont always get wifi, esp my wifes iphone

A talk talk sales person, a very over enthusiastic and pushy sales person asked us about broadband,

She told me vodafone will traffic manage the internet speed, if more than one device is connected and being used, the broadband speed would be split between them, apparently talktalk don't do that and we would get 4ombps with both all devices on.

She also said there router is the best out there for signal strength and reliabilty.

I didn't sign up on the street because she was so damn pushy! "We only have 2 lines left" I look on there website today and the same deal is there!

So who would you recommend.

Plusnet.:)

Anyone in preference to Talk Talk.

My late ma had their service including BB, ccustomer service was an absolute nightmare.
Even after her death as executor from all the utility providers I found them the worst to deal with.

Just gone to Sky from Virgin.

Very happy so far.

Faster in real terms but slower on paper, just shows we did the right thing and Virgin throttled our speed at peak times.

Sky promise not to do that

Just gone to Sky from Virgin.

Very happy so far.

Faster in real terms but slower on paper, just shows we did the right thing and Virgin throttled our speed at peak times.

Sky promise not to do that
Went the other way and never looked back.

VM don't throttle on the faster connections, unless you're p2p'ing.

Sky was hugely oversubscribed in our area.

Plus I'm getting a free upgrade from 150 to 200mbps which is nice.

Last edited:
Was with SKY and moved to Plusnet. Not had any issues.
Have to say that the router I got wasn't the best, but managed to get a home hub 5 for pittance and use that instead.

I went with BT but mostly because I wanted BT sports. No issues thus far :whistle:

I am with BT Infinity, I was going to switch to PlusNet last May but BT offered me a better deal when I called to cancel the contract. I managed to persuade BT to give me one of their new Smart Home Hubs for free as part of the deal to replace my Home Hub 5.

PlusNet are owned by BT anyway

BT. Advertised 55 mbps slowest fiber package but it runs at 57 - 63 so they are not fussy about throttling the speed

I moved from bt to plusnet in March because bt wouldn’t price match their own new customer offers, or plusnet. I have had around three days where their dns service was down, but otherwise no complaints.

I have been with PN since the FRIACO days in 2003

Yes, hiccups but overall have found them to be very good :)

Vodafone customer service is dire. Not only have they won awards for how bad they are I've never been mislead and flat out lied to so much by one company.

We have experienced there dire customer service beofre with contract mobiles, been paying after 3-5 months after ending contracts, amount of arguments was ridiculous, at the time we had been told the broadband customer service was totally separate form the mobile phone side, it was a cheep price which has now gone up, plus 12 months free netflix too, just really not sure which way to go now

This thread reminds me that I used to subscribe to this forum http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/ if you scroll down the page you will see there are nice active fora for all(?) UK ISP services.

As I recall, with PN they had Customer Service guys lookin.................................though latterly I simply joined the PN community forum ;)

Talk talk customer services was terrible, as was BTs. Best customer service I've had is from Virgin. Not tried plus net. Sometimes paying for a more expensive provide can be better as it means the network might be less subscribed - better performance at peak times

Last edited:
Reasonably happy with bt up to now but when virgin eventually get their act together and put cables in my street i think i will be jumping ship simply because it will let me combine phone, broadband and tv under one (hopefully) slightly cheaper setup. Wouldn't go near talk talk, awful company, was with plusnet years ago when they weren't a mainstream provider and they were pretty good back then, no idea now though. Only gripe with bt is the homehub is poo, recently upgraded the router to an asus one and it seems to have sorted out the dead spot issues we had throughout the house in one fell swoop.

How nice to be able to pick and choose which broadband supplier to use because, where I live there was very little choice until recently. I am signed up to a company which provides wireless broadband and whilst they are not perfect, the service is reasonable for a reasonable price.

Vodafone customer service is dire. Not only have they won awards for how bad they are I've never been mislead and flat out lied to so much by one company.
Wasn't broadband related but i ended up having to contact trading standards and the ombudsment with vodafone after them misleading/lying to me and then trying to charge me several hundreds of pounds for something they screwed up. Eventually they backed down as they had no real choice but they were truly dire from start to finish. Oh and then a year later they sent me another bill for about 150 quid despite the fact i had left them a year earlier so a few more phonecalls had to be made to sort that out too. I really can see why they are the mobile phone provider with the most complaints made against them as their customer service is appalling.

I use and recommend A&A (they even threatened legal action for contractual non-compliance against BT Wholesale for not fixing a fault on my line last year and I made it on to the front page of ispreview), but they are not suitable for people whose first thought is "what does it cost?" or talk about UNLIMITED!!!!

On Plusnet i average around 37mbps download,very happy.:D

I've just switched from VM cable to Zen fibre. Getting 38 down and about 9 up so a lot slower in the download and the upload is basically the same as VM cable. VM promise much higher speeds but the reality is you don't get them. I shall probably upgrade to the faster speed fibre once it's settled as I ordered that but they weren't sure I'd get more than the slower package with the faster one. VM just chuck people on over loaded networks and the peak speeds fall and fall. They keep raising prices and even if you're in a 12 month contract they stuff you for the price rise. I don't think that is an acceptable way to behave so I cancelled as they had a loop hole that allowed it.

Plusnet and Talk Talk are both awful. They're some of the most complained about ISPS.

I live on netflix so A & A are no good at all for me.

I've just switched from VM cable to Zen fibre.
The thing with Zen is it does not throttle whereas Virgin does or their capacity is not high enough. I am on the package above you and as it happens near the BT box and get the ,axi,mum estimated speed and no apparent throttling so far.

The thing with Zen is it does not throttle whereas Virgin does or their capacity is not high enough. I am on the package above you and as it happens near the BT box and get the ,axi,mum estimated speed and no apparent throttling so far.
VM doesn't throttle download unless you p2p. Upload is throttled depending on usage. However like you say it may be an oversubscribed area.

Quite happy with sky at the moment; pay around £11 per month, only get the basic sky internet but it is absolutely fine for powering the Apple TV and iPad etc.

I used to be with SKY, around here there isn't any cable so was on what they called their SKY Connect package... the line could handle up 10mbps but very rarely got that, usually around 4mbps... and then they started to throttle between 4pm and midnight, some evenings I was lucky to get 1mbps and constantly dropping out. Tried discussing things with them numerous times and their customer service was awful, initially blaming all faults on BT as they used their lines.
After a few weeks of getting nowhere I switched to BT, I got 10mbps at all times, no throttling and rarely dropped out.... A few months back they upgraded to fibre optic around here, so I went with their infinity package, now get 50mbps at all times and when I had a fault a month or so ago, they responded very quickly, found three faults on the lines in the area and had them all fixed within a couple of days.

I am gobsmacked by the BB speeds some of you get.....!

Here download is 2.5 mbps on a good day, that's if it hasn't cut out for some unknown reason..
The max I get is 3.3mbps on my ADSL plusnet account. Fiber has just started being put in and the BT site states it should be available in 4 months to order.

Hope they make it quick...[emoji852]️

Rural area just get ever more left behind but they are good at making empty promises and massaging statistics to make it sound like progress is being made.
It's the same story as mobile phone cover which is still non-existent in many North Yorkshire villages - but because you can get a signal over the moor tops where no-one lives they make out it's 90% coverage or whatever is this week's target.
In reality nothing new has been installed for 20 years locally.
It's so annoying to see new investments going into 4G and 5G, and 200mb superfast when we can't send a text and have 2mb "Broadband" speeds if the wind is in the wrong direction.

Rural area just get ever more left behind but they are good at making empty promises and massaging statistics to make it sound like progress is being made.
It's the same story as mobile phone cover which is still non-existent in many North Yorkshire villages - but because you can get a signal over the moor tops where no-one lives they make out it's 90% coverage or whatever is this week's target.
It's so annoying to see new investments going into 4G and 5G, and 200mb superfast when we can't send a text and have 2mb "Broadband" speeds if the wind is in the wrong direction.
Don't think it is just rural areas, I am in NW London.[emoji3]

The max I get is 3.3mbps on my ADSL plusnet account. Fiber has just started being put in and the BT site states it should be available in 4 months to order.

Hope they make it quick...[emoji852]️

We get similar ADSL speed and fttc has been available for a while but I cannot justify the cost, I pay <£9 for ADSL and last time I checked fttc would cost over double that :(

If you ran a business would you supply ten customers at great cost or a thousand and make a profit?
BT isn't a nationalised company and need to satisfy shareholders along with paying employees and tackling a large pension deficit.

I believe the service guarantee only specifies speech not data, if that has changed I expect the data would only be at low speed.
Same in towns and cities, tightly packed terrace houses offer a far better return than an expansive estate of mini mansions.

That's privatisation for you, same goes for transport too, no profit in an empty train or bus

There is a service guarantee I think with broadband now. It sets a minimum speed for your particular line.

There is a service guarantee I think with broadband now. It sets a minimum speed for your particular line.

Yes I recall reading that once provided there would be some sort of speed guarantee.

Should have made myself clearer, I was referring to the Universal Service Obligation which covers provision of a telephone line.
This never included internet or mobile services, can't imagine that has changed, seem to recall the first £8k of provision cost was covered.

Last edited:
Back