weekly brownin's prjct52: 52,FINISHED!

Hi, first one works well except for the distortion of the candle, otherwise says what it has to very well

Bold - out of the two images I think I prefer the second image, with the cottages and as others have said would of been great to closer.

Relax - gotta love Yankee candles, and out of the set I much prefer the second image.

Hi nathan ... I too prefer the colour ... more going on there. The structure (mast?) is straighter in the B&W version but the wall leans more, so I guess in reality the mast leans.

Hi nathan ... I too prefer the colour ... more going on there. The structure (mast?) is straighter in the B&W version but the wall leans more, so I guess in reality the mast leans.

Its quite possible that its the perspective/distortion of the UWA lens, i'll see if i can dig out the original colour version of the straigher mast image

Do you have a coloured version of the B&W one? I prefer the colours, but the composition of the second one works better for me.

thanks for you comments, i'll see if i can dig it out.

Black & White for me Nathan, nice image.

Phil

Cheers phil

I prefer the colour one, nice vertical aspect and lovely colours, I think the image is suffering from a touch of softness though.

Hi Nathan, I much prefer the colour shot, I know the mast is leaning, but as David has said, the wall leans in the second shot with the tower straight :)

This week was a difficult one for me, wanted to steer away from the typical animal choice but my imagination run out, so heres my entry for week 10 : Mouth

Never realised how bloody hard it is to take pictures of a hyperactive sprollie! best efforts below, really starting to struggle with the limited low light capabilities of this body without a flash. This was taken this evening/tonight in a typically tungsten lit living room, had to boost ISO past the comfortable 'acceptable' picture level of the 500d, Currently weighing up the options for a new body, 70d or the like. We'll see. Welcome any comments on both Photo and my equipment plans

anyway.. here she is, the lovely but nutty 2 year old Sprollie Bonnie.

Week 10: Mouth
Week10 by NathanBrowning, on Flickr

That's a tough shot there Nathan. In terms of low light, I think the 500D has actually coped well with the noise. The full size version on Flickr doesn't look too bad. Do you have noise reduction software?

Your/in-camera White Balancing has also done a good job. Ambient indoor lights can cause problems late in the evening. Last, you're shooting at f1.8 which can be tricky to nail the focus. Again, the full size version shows a blur to Bonnie which could be down to movement (1/125 is pretty quick so that's unlikely) or missed focus (at f1.8 - probably more likely). You have no leeway though (can't go slower shutter speed due to subject movement/handholding and can't push ISO much beyond the 1600 you're at here) and are at the limit of what you can achieve without more lighting options (i.e. flash).

Trying to do all of this with a dog and getting your model in the frame too has made this a really tough picture which I think you've done really well with.

Can't help with your equipment plans... I sold all my Canon gear a couple of years ago. You're hampered by low light here though. You could maybe scrape a stop or two with a faster lens and a camera that could push the ISO a bit harder, but I reckon the massive improvement to this would come through external lighting. A flash/external lights would allow you to shoot f8-11 and twice the shutter speed on ISOs much more reasonable.

That's my tuppence! Really tough shot this. You've done very well with what you have.

That's a tough shot there Nathan. In terms of low light, I think the 500D has actually coped well with the noise. The full size version on Flickr doesn't look too bad. Do you have noise reduction software?

Your/in-camera White Balancing has also done a good job. Ambient indoor lights can cause problems late in the evening. Last, you're shooting at f1.8 which can be tricky to nail the focus. Again, the full size version shows a blur to Bonnie which could be down to movement (1/125 is pretty quick so that's unlikely) or missed focus (at f1.8 - probably more likely). You have no leeway though (can't go slower shutter speed due to subject movement/handholding and can't push ISO much beyond the 1600 you're at here) and are at the limit of what you can achieve without more lighting options (i.e. flash).

Trying to do all of this with a dog and getting your model in the frame too has made this a really tough picture which I think you've done really well with.

Can't help with your equipment plans... I sold all my Canon gear a couple of years ago. You're hampered by low light here though. You could maybe scrape a stop or two with a faster lens and a camera that could push the ISO a bit harder, but I reckon the massive improvement to this would come through external lighting. A flash/external lights would allow you to shoot f8-11 and twice the shutter speed on ISOs much more reasonable.

That's my tuppence! Really tough shot this. You've done very well with what you have.

Hi Ian, Thanks for stopping by and your comments are a great help.

I know what you mean about focus, this is manual I was fed up of it scrambling and hunting in the low light to focus, especially when it was set to AF points too. So this was purely hand held manual focus and bloody quick at that, f1.8 was all I could manage at the time I tried several shots and even then I have had to pull it back a lot in post. Levels and noise reduction and very slight sharpen, but you can see that in the Original shot below:

IMG_2558unedit by NathanBrowning, on Flickr

when i've got decent light she look's gorgeous look:
bonnie by NathanBrowning, on Flickr

I've just taken receipt of a yongnuo 565exii so hopefully the low light issue and not actually strobing the dog into possible seizure with the crappy built in flash may make for some better images in the future, I have found though that my flash feels bigger than my 'toy' like camera, LOL

Really appreciate your comments mate, thank you

when i've got decent light she look's gorgeous look:

Yep. Saw that on your Flickr. That's how I knew I was on the right track. Looking at your original image, you did a great rescue job on it. Manual focus at f1.8 on a moving target is no one's idea of fun!

Hi Nathan

Vertical....color shot for me but with the straight mast fro the 2nd shot ( don't ask for much do I ;) ) I love the color in the sky in #1 & the mast being slightly less central

Mouth....love that you have both subject & the girls mouth's in shot, good use of DOf on those as well & you have done a storing job rescuing the shot in post :) I think Ian has given you some cracking advice for a reshoot (y)

Can't offer any kit advice as I shot Nikon.....

Hi, as said above you have done well to pull an image out of the first shot

Crowd, nice idea, and certainly not "in with the in crowd" :)

Close up, good use of DoF there, I had to think what it was for a minute though.
(not that it matter of course)

Crowd - I thought thatmight be Close Up at first, as the Jelly bears are very close together.
Close Up - Nice shot. The guitar strings nicely draw your eye to the OOF fret.
Very nicely done.

Hi,

Crowd - nice idea, fits the theme - the orange one seems to have an evil look on his face!

Close up - nice shot, as Tim says, the trings do lead you right into the image :)

Crowd - Mr Orange looks like he's about to take his revenge for being cast out :) Good interpretation (y)

Close Up - I really like this. The composition with it's leading lines is really good and the DOF is spot on (y)

Close Up is a nice idea ... I agree with the above comments plus I like the way you've caught the detail of the strings on the pegs.
Was going to say ... shame it's a bit dusty & dirty ... but see you've named it "Close up 'Grime' ".

Crowd....Good idea. Can I just say though, that the gummy bears look evil :eek:

Close. Nice. I've tried to make various bits of a guitar fit several themes so far and failed :LOL:

Some interesting work on your thread. I like your take on COMPANIONS especially the second shot. FRAGILE (which would also have been on theme for companions) is spot on but , as others have said, maybe a touch darker. I am not sure about left-hand/right-hand subject positioning, but I see the logic behind the right-hand position being usually preferable because of the way we read. Makes me actually want to do a couple of shots and conduct my own little survey!

Vertical - There’s lovely colour in the sky on #1 but there’s something about #2 I prefer. The straightened mast maybe is the main factor.

Mouth - You’ve obviously set this up for the theme but it yet still feels like a candid. One crib from me - did you take it next to the TV when the snooker was on? Your sprollie’s teeth and catch light in the eye has quite a green tinge to them whereas the rest of the image the white’s are certainly white.

Crowd - Nice idea for the theme. Using a different coloured sweet helps join the theme

Close Up - It’s funny I almost took the same shot for mine yesterday. I’m biased as it’s a guitar image but I do like it especially the use of the shallow DoF

Crowd, nice idea, and certainly not "in with the in crowd" :)

Close up, good use of DoF there, I had to think what it was for a minute though.
(not that it matter of course)

Thanks mate, crowd was certainly the most uncomfortable I've felt so far with ideas for theme, but hey ho seems to have pleased some people lol

guess that's kinda cool that you couldn't tell what it was straight away after all it is 'close up' :)

Crowd - I thought thatmight be Close Up at first, as the Jelly bears are very close together.
Close Up - Nice shot. The guitar strings nicely draw your eye to the OOF fret.
Very nicely done.

thanks for your comments, I much preferred the close up theme, fairly similar set-up for both shots so it could have worked with both themes, first shot will off camera flash on the geetar though so I was quite happy with it.

Hi,

Crowd - nice idea, fits the theme - the orange one seems to have an evil look on his face!

Close up - nice shot, as Tim says, the trings do lead you right into the image :)

I took several and thought the same thing so chose this one, the orange one looks seriously miffed that he wasn't included lol

thanks for your comments

Crowd - Mr Orange looks like he's about to take his revenge for being cast out :) Good interpretation (y)

Close Up - I really like this. The composition with it's leading lines is really good and the DOF is spot on (y)

Close Up is a nice idea ... I agree with the above comments plus I like the way you've caught the detail of the strings on the pegs.
Was going to say ... shame it's a bit dusty & dirty ... but see you've named it "Close up 'Grime' ".

Crowd....Good idea. Can I just say though, that the gummy bears look evil :eek:

Close. Nice. I've tried to make various bits of a guitar fit several themes so far and failed :LOL:

thanks, They are definitely evil on my diet ;)

Bet you play yours more though, which is what its for, I've had mine 18 months and learnt 5 chords, fully intent on learning it though, again thanks for your time.

Some interesting work on your thread. I like your take on COMPANIONS especially the second shot. FRAGILE (which would also have been on theme for companions) is spot on but , as others have said, maybe a touch darker. I am not sure about left-hand/right-hand subject positioning, but I see the logic behind the right-hand position being usually preferable because of the way we read. Makes me actually want to do a couple of shots and conduct my own little survey!

Hi Bob, thank you for taking the time to look and comment on my thread mate, appreciate it, I wasn't aware of the left/right/hand subject positioning until mentioned here, worth bearing in mind i think for future and id be interested in your results if you took time to survey it.

Vertical - There’s lovely colour in the sky on #1 but there’s something about #2 I prefer. The straightened mast maybe is the main factor.

Mouth - You’ve obviously set this up for the theme but it yet still feels like a candid. One crib from me - did you take it next to the TV when the snooker was on? Your sprollie’s teeth and catch light in the eye has quite a green tinge to them whereas the rest of the image the white’s are certainly white.

Crowd - Nice idea for the theme. Using a different coloured sweet helps join the theme

Close Up - It’s funny I almost took the same shot for mine yesterday. I’m biased as it’s a guitar image but I do like it especially the use of the shallow DoF

Cheers peter, as always useful crit, vertical - I have been thinking about digging out the 2nd image in colour and posting as your not the first to mention this, Mouth - I never even noticed the green tinge in her eye and teeth, its quite possible I was watching the snooker, nice spot. Crowd - as I said before I really struggled with this; so to come out with something pleasing for most is an achievement, Close up - do it, guitars always make good subjects for photos..

Week13 - Machine

Still Here, Machine sounded really cool, and any other week I would have been in a server room or something really cool to take a picture of but in the end I was stuck at my desk all week. So... thinking cap on, sat in front of this 'machine' for a while during a wash and it just didn't do it for me so I took a number of shots of inside with nothing is it and the best of the bunch has to be this one, I think this looks pretty cool.

week13 by NathanBrowning, on Flickr

Comments and critique as always more than welcome!

excellent m/c shot - at first I thought it was a loudspeaker :)

My first thoughts were ... camera lens ... but no. o_O

Machine: Shame there isn't a 'what-is-this?' category as I would never have thought it was the inside of a washing machine.

Machine. I thought it was a speaker too.
It's a really lovely image though...I like it a lot.

I though it was a lens...... Like the simplicity of the shot.

Hi Nathan

Machine....likig that a lot, also thught it was something like a Tamron 90mm barrel at 1st glance......love the motion that leads you to the light at the end of the tunnel :clap:

Crowd....yup , orange gummie sure does appear a little on the evil side...like the set up but being a bit picky the base needs a little clean up.....

Close up...yup , works really well with the low straight down the strings POV (y)

excellent m/c shot - at first I thought it was a loudspeaker :)
Thank you
It's a washing machine? I too thought it was a loudspeaker.
An interesting shot that :)
Yep, hand spun tripod wide angle :)
My first thoughts were ... camera lens ... but no. o_O
Nope
Machine: Shame there isn't a 'what-is-this?' category as I would never have thought it was the inside of a washing machine.
I thought it was an Interesting approach to the theme, quite happy with shot and more so with all the great comments, thank you
Machine. I thought it was a speaker too.
It's a really lovely image though...I like it a lot.
Thank you
machine - really good idea. I thought it was a camera!
Thanks mich
I though it was a lens...... Like the simplicity of the shot.
Not the first to say that, can see why that would be the case, thanks for your comments

Hi Nathan

Machine....likig that a lot, also thught it was something like a Tamron 90mm barrel at 1st glance......love the motion that leads you to the light at the end of the tunnel :clap:

Crowd....yup , orange gummie sure does appear a little on the evil side...like the set up but being a bit picky the base needs a little clean up.....

Close up...yup , works really well with the low straight down the strings POV (y)

Yer, after I'd shot I wish I had given the base a good clean, thanks for the critique though

So I finally managed to sort out alphabet, had no idea what to do at first then remembered my clever wife is studying English language and literature in university so I asked to create this, although it looks German/foreign its actually the phonetics of words and how we say them in a written form. So here goes

Week14 - Alphabet
17135140786_2dd5f7797a.jpg

Last edited:
Your DOF is bang on there Nathan, well done!

Back