Browsing from China

Name
Edit My Images
No
I'm off to mainland China in the summer and would like to get to the outside world while I'm there. Would just using Tor get me past their firewall or would I need to run a vpn as well.

I think running Tor in china might get you locked up icertainly wouldn't.
probably a vpn would suffice but be carefull.

ok fair do's, i always thought that was untraceable though! i will look into vpn's instead

until i want to get somewhere like flickr, or facebook or anywhere the "great firewall" wont let me go

Pretty sure you'd need either a portable satellite router / satellite phone that manages to get past Airport security to bypass the 'Great Firewall of China'.

Tor use is very easy to detect and would probably get you some jail time pretty quickly if not more serious.

until i want to get somewhere like flickr, or facebook or anywhere the "great firewall" wont let me go

I am assuming you want to enjoy your time there and come home?

As a non national get caught trying to bypass their censorship by using any method, let alone VPN's or TOR, and you could find yourself not coming home for a long time

why don't you just go on holidays and forget all blocked internet stuff... take a camera with you and enjoy holidays! Enjoy your stay, visit lots of places, try all food you can and learn about new culture :)

in regards of the actual question you asked:

VPN is the only proper way to access blocked sites from behind the GFC (great firewall of China) without drastic loss in user experience. Can be slow tho. Depends which company you go for.
Proxies are unreliable (not always, but GFC will keep finding and blocking those) and typically offer a degraded/bad web experience for users, lots of ads etc.. Also if it's public proxies they tend to go offline very often
TOR... I would rather enjoy my holidays as a visitor and not a prisoner :)

I presume not having internet while you're on holiday can be a blessing sometimes. Especially if you have a camera with you. I would take advantage of my spare time and get as many pictures as I can.

I have to agree with folk go to China and don't worry about Internet the time spent out of touch will.do you good.

We go every year for 3 weeks and just live with having no internet access at all bar occasionally using my wifes fathers phone to check emails. Its kind of refreshing and means everyone isnt sitting with there phone glued to there face all the time and has to interact.(which the chinese are even worse at).

As for the being locked up using a vpn i doubt that, i know most foreigners use them and so do many chinese... china isnt as much a military state as people believe .. as for which to use i couldn't help you there.

China employ around 200,000 highly trained IT cyber guys in constant hack and cyber security attacks against western interests.

(Business, RR etc always use VPN's but via pre arranged / common courtesy).

Last edited:
China is s*** don't go.

Other than that, aren't Internet forums illegal?

Just don't bother, I used a vpn and it was so slow.

China is s*** don't go.

saying its sh*t is rather subjective.
I would say the exact opposite, if you are not bothered by busyness, some rudeness and dirtiness( I found london to be as bad if not worse on the last two). Then its a great place to go, especially shanghai.
Theres loads to see, loads to eat and it never stops, shops/restraunts/bars open for the early hours until late. It's also a very safe place even at night as long as you aren't looking for trouble(drugs/women etc).
I would happly walk around alone with thousands of pounds worth of gear in the dark(6mp on wards) without worrying, can't say the same for most uk city.

And yes forums are illegal.

what exactly is it your wanting to access from there anyway?

China employ around 200,000 highly trained IT cyber guys in constant hack and cyber security attacks against western interests.

if that was actually true the entire set of 'western interests' would be completely in tatters

I know, I work in the field. I'm talking about your inflation of the numbers to 200,000 and their level of training and who is employing them. Most of them are amateurs, and your own link says 50-100k. China does not directly employ a 200k strong army of highly trained hackers hacking western interests. Too much Daily Mail in your diet methinks.

China is s*** don't go.

Actually it's pretty bloody awesome and I prefer it in many ways to this rat hole of a country. But anyway. I'm there for 6 weeks and would just like to get on forums, bbc i player Netflix, that kind of thing to stop me going mad trying to work out chinese TV

I know, I work in the field. I'm talking about your inflation of the numbers to 200,000 and their level of training and who is employing them. Most of them are amateurs, and your own link says 50-100k. China does not directly employ a 200k strong army of highly trained hackers hacking western interests. Too much Daily Mail in your diet methinks.

I also work in the field for an aerospace / defence manufacturer and fight it on a daily basis. My numbers are considered an under-estimate. Carry on.

Actually it's pretty bloody awesome and I prefer it in many ways to this rat hole of a country. But anyway. I'm there for 6 weeks and would just like to get on forums, bbc i player Netflix, that kind of thing to stop me going mad trying to work out chinese TV

Tablet with good supply of books and music loaded maybe some films on micro SD cards

Tablet with good supply of books and music loaded maybe some films on micro SD cards

Thats what I normaly do, I put a load of films and tv series on my laptop, to give me something to do for a few hours at the end of the night. dvds are cheap enough there and its not hard to find them in english either.

The tv channels do suck though the two/three english ones on non cable tv are very poor anyway.

My advice would be to forget all about social media and enjoy taking as many photos as you possibly can while trying to get through as many good books as possible! You are very lucky to be going! :D

China is an utterly amazing place. Lots of new experiences, food, and things to see. I guess some people have "special" pre-conceived ideas.
Anyway, you should be able to access most of the internet quite easily. If some specific sites are blocked, just use other ones. Enjoy it!

Last edited:
Back