Bruja's Photo 52 + Night

This is something I could imagine on a big canvas on a wall in a reception area or something, I like the green-ness of it and the lines emanating from the corner

Phew, just made it in time.....

This has been a much better week for me both physically and emotionally - until I decided on the picture I wanted to take and then it all went pear-shaped :eek: because I hadn't realised the lighting implications of my choice of subject :D. Anyway, I soldiered on and I suppose the main learning point for me this week is to think about what furniture I might need to move before finally deciding on the subject :LOL::LOL:

Why does this picture represent Opposites to me?

Well on a number of levels, it's a man and a woman (Mars and Venus springs to mind!), it's a husband and wife (not always the smoothest of relationships and often with opposite roles and goals), it's actually me and the husband, and we are like chalk and cheese. He's healthy and I'm not, he's patient and laid back where I'm a worrier and perfectionist. He's happy just pottering around whereas I'm driven to do stuff, to achieve, to try new things. He wants to take care of me and I don't want to be taken care of :(

BUT - Opposites attract, and the attraction is still there after 18 years. So there you have it, my take on Opposites.

OPPOSITES

Opposites_sm.jpg

What a great combination of image and words, I love your reasoning on this one Jill and the obvious sentiment and love that is present here :)

The image is great, good concept well executed and well framed (which I imagine would have been a nightmare to pose and capture just right :))

Even the choice of clothes is opposite :)

How did you light it in the end?

Well done in getting one in and so glad you had a better week this week :)

What a great combination of image and words, I love your reasoning on this one Jill and the obvious sentiment and love that is present here :)

The image is great, good concept well executed and well framed (which I imagine would have been a nightmare to pose and capture just right :))

Even the choice of clothes is opposite :)

How did you light it in the end?

Well done in getting one in and so glad you had a better week this week :)

Thanks John. The choice of clothes was deliberate and I chose cream and brown as I though black and white might be one complication too far :LOL:

I used Manual as I wanted a small DoF and a fast exposure time - the only problem was the flipping sun kept going behind the clouds and messing up my exposure setting. After rearranging much of the furniture (and pictures) in two rooms we eventually ended up on the long, windowed porch. The problem then was to get a blank piece of wall because my nature is if I see a blank space I think what can I put there :D

The only suitable space had light then coming from the front and then from my side so I dug out my new reflector, played around with the positioning, which was less than perfect and in the end Reg was holding the bottom of the reflector as I peered through the view finder to find the best position and then rapidly moved myself into position before the sun went in again! I used my phottix remote which meant I couldn't use my Speedlite, but in a way I was glad as I prefer natural light for portraits. I could have used the timer I suppose but I wanted multiple exposures quickly in slightly different positions.

Phew, after that I had a sit down with a stiff drink :naughty:

Glad you like it as I wasn't sure at all that it was decently lit.

Jill

Thanks for that Jill - no wonder you needed that drink :) I think on reflection (if you'll pardon the pun) a little more light on Reg's face might have lifted it a little from the background but thats a minor niggle on such a set up I reckon

And I think its time I stopped taking the easy route on these 52s and started challenging myself a bit more like you're doing! Good stuff Jill :)

I really like this shot Bruja,(y)

I have been married for 19years myself and so can relate to all of your reasons. Hubby and I are also opposite in alot of things, yet very similar in others.

I am really thinking that I might set up a similar shot for us as we lack photos in which we both appear.

I really like the skin tones that you have accomplished alongside the detail in the hair (especially your husbands).

Well done :clap::clap:

Nice image and very poignant. I agree the skin tones look a little grey, but other than that a great take on the subject.

Well you put some of us to shame with all the effort you put in to your shots..:clap:

You add so much more to your photo's with your small essay on how you got your shot...tell your a writer.....phew I need a drink..:LOL:

But seriously great interpretation...nice..(y)

Like your opposites shot Jill. Just a contrast boost would finish it off nicely. (y)

Very nice interpretation and again your words support a really effective image. As Toothie says, a tad more room at the sides would improve the feel. Well done! :clap:

Jill, this is excellent. Yes, a little more space would have been great, but your perfectionism has paid off handsomely. :clap: It's also nice to put a face to the name.

Your rationale of you and your husband's oppositeness (no such word?) really adds to the portraits, and I need to sit down with a strong drink just reading about what lengths you went to to capture this. :D

I'm so glad you have had a better week, and hope this week is as good. :hug:

Jean

I really like this shot Bruja,(y)

I have been married for 19years myself and so can relate to all of your reasons. Hubby and I are also opposite in alot of things, yet very similar in others.

I am really thinking that I might set up a similar shot for us as we lack photos in which we both appear.

I really like the skin tones that you have accomplished alongside the detail in the hair (especially your husbands).

Well done :clap::clap:

Thanks very much Angela and good luck with setting up your photo. Can we see it when it's done? :D

Nice image and very poignant. I agree the skin tones look a little grey, but other than that a great take on the subject.

Thanks Ed, I've re-edited the shot but don't think it's any better :(, but glad you think it fits the subject :)

Well you put some of us to shame with all the effort you put in to your shots..:clap:

You add so much more to your photo's with your small essay on how you got your shot...tell your a writer.....phew I need a drink..:LOL:

But seriously great interpretation...nice..(y)

Thanks Spartacus, glad you like it (y)

Great take on opposites, but I would like to have seen a little more room on both sides :)

Thanks Ruth, I've re-edited with a bit more room but I just think it emphasises the difference in light from each side - or, I suppose he could be the 'Dark One' and me the 'Light One' in the relationship :naughty:

Very nice interpretation and again your words support a really effective image. As Toothie says, a tad more room at the sides would improve the feel. Well done! :clap:

Thanks Frank, I really appreciate your support (y)

Jill, this is excellent. Yes, a little more space would have been great, but your perfectionism has paid off handsomely. :clap: It's also nice to put a face to the name.

Your rationale of you and your husband's oppositeness (no such word?) really adds to the portraits, and I need to sit down with a strong drink just reading about what lengths you went to to capture this. :D

I'm so glad you have had a better week, and hope this week is as good. :hug:

Jean

Thanks Jean, as supportive as ever. I am keeping up my progress so finger crossed :LOL:

OPPOSITES Take 2​

IMG_3831_edit2_sm.jpg

Well done Jill, that's a great shot. I agree on a little more room on the sides, but I know exactly how hard it can be to get this sort of thing right, and it fits the theme perfectly. (y)

That little extra space does work Jill, I didn't think it needed it until I saw your rework! And I guess thats what this is all about - learning :)

Good stuff :)

What can I say, there you go again making a good shot in to a great one...much better with the added space..(y)

Ohhh... Cross posted... Sorry Jill, my comment was on the first one. Much better with the extra space.

Hi Jill, excellent photo there! Works great in black and white and with the extra space either side it feels like the photo (and you two!) has more room to breath :)

well done!

That little extra space does work Jill, I didn't think it needed it until I saw your rework! And I guess thats what this is all about - learning :)

Good stuff :)

Thanks John, I'm always willing to give it a go, learning that is!

What can I say, there you go again making a good shot in to a great one...much better with the added space..(y)

Thanks Marcus, Ooooh I do like praise :D

Much better with the extra space.

Thanks John, I agree (y)

Hi Jill, excellent photo there! Works great in black and white and with the extra space either side it feels like the photo (and you two!) has more room to breath :)

well done!

Thanks Jamie, I know what you mean about the extra space and I much prefer portraits in B&W. BTW I used to live very close to Durham. Lovely City and especially Vennels for their stilton scones on a Sunday morning:love:

Thanks for your feedback (y)

Definately prefer the one with more space - like the idea, composition and the thought that obviously went into the clothes (y)

I definitely think the 2nd post improves things - a great opposites idea... and the grey vs. black hair and light vs dark top all add to the theme nicely :) Like the monochrome look too - keeps it simple to enhance the theme (y)

Looking at your shot really made me think about my relationship. Sometimes we imagine we are the only people in the world with our concerns and problems. My partner and I are very much chalk and cheese in many ways but very alike too but sometimes I think I dwell on the differences and neglect to see the positives that exist even in the opposites. 18 years together what an achievement. You make a lovely couple. Great interpretation Jean and I'm glad you've had a better week :clap:

Sorry Jill I've neglected my duties and not caught up with your 52. Like the opposites picture, very welll thought out with a powerful story to go with it. :clap:

The second edit is even better, keep up the good work.(y)

Definately prefer the one with more space - like the idea, composition and the thought that obviously went into the clothes (y)

Thanks so much DS. It's good that C&C helps me to improve (y)

I definitely think the 2nd post improves things - a great opposites idea... and the grey vs. black hair and light vs dark top all add to the theme nicely :) Like the monochrome look too - keeps it simple to enhance the theme (y)

Thanks Stewart, sounds like I met the brief on a number of levels :D. Glad you like it.(y)

Looking at your shot really made me think about my relationship. Sometimes we imagine we are the only people in the world with our concerns and problems. My partner and I are very much chalk and cheese in many ways but very alike too but sometimes I think I dwell on the differences and neglect to see the positives that exist even in the opposites. 18 years together what an achievement. You make a lovely couple. Great interpretation Jean and I'm glad you've had a better week :clap:

Aaaaw, thanks Maureen. I'm glad the picture resonated with you, planning it certainly made me take another look at our life together in much the same way. Thanks (y)

The edit works really well with the extra space (y)

Thanks Ruth

Yep, I like the extra space, too. It also gives a better sense of where the light is coming from. Very nice indeed. :)

Jean

Thanks Jean

Jill, another fantastic image that clearly shows thought before taking the image, I'm impressed :clap: I don't think I can add anything to what has already been said, very nice and the extra space improves the shot (y)

I appreciate your comments Simon (y)

Well here we are more than 10% done already :D

My take on Special is yet another personal tale, so scroll down to the picture if it's not your thing ;)

There are lots of special things in my life, and, not in any particular order of priority :naughty:, they are my cats, my husband, family, friends, my camera, lenses, and ME :LOL:

The fact that I am still here is testament to my strength of mind, my sense of humour and the support of people who have helped me in the past. You see I was emotionally abused as a child by parents who later claimed they didn't know any better, so I never got praised, nothing I did was good enough and I was threatened with physical violence if I didn't do exactly what I was supposed to. (And in retrospect, the threat of being belted when my father got home, some hours later, was more terrifying than if she had just hit me there and then). I also realised 30 years later that my father knew none of this.

As a result, by the time I got to grammar school I was a prime target for bullies, and suffered through four years of loneliness and isolation until, finally, at 15, I refused to go back.

To cut a long story short on my 40th birthday I had to see a cognitive therapist and a psychiatrist because I was suicidal. I thought I was a bad person, worthless and just generally not good enough. I know now that this was because of my childhood and school experiences but found it impossible to trust people and really didn't know how to make friends. That's all changed now and I have a number of very good friends and now actually hear positive feedback and support rather than dismissing it because I know I'm not good enough.

So here's my Special picture, because this does what it says on the tin :D

SPECIAL

3274822164_e427525ac9_o.jpg

So there it is, lots of support and positive feedback, lots of challenges, and I've made the acquaintance of some lovely people. So thanks to everyone involved, you've made learning more about photography a breeze, and a joy.

:clap::clap::clap:

Jill the words are powerful and the picture is testament to the strength of this forum and your strength and your ability to 'survive' (if thats not too strong a word) thus far!

I'm glad things turned positive for you! And I sincerely hope all the bad stuff is way in the past!

Good image, good (and moving) words!

Jill, that's a hearbreaking story:(

I'm pleased to hear that you have found your self worth and that TP has become a special place to you, as it is to many of us. Have a hug:hug:

Keep up the good work(y)

Wow Jill, what a story, sorry to read of an unhappy childhood but pleased to see you so positive now in spite of it.

You are spot on about this forum, its a great group of people, sharing knowledge and insight, there are a lot of good people here Jill and you are one of them.

Nice pic by the way.

Wow, you really are brilliant...:clap:

I am so glad you feel so at home on this Special site... deep down we are all the same, and I think sometime the older you are the more you need the positive feedback from people. I to could have been given a much better childhood, guess it's the way it was in the 50s no money and parents who too honest didn't know what they were doing really.

Still enough of that... you could say you got another online family, and we all love you...:love:

I love the relection you managed to get in this shot...top of your game as usual (y)

Jill, you are very brave to let that all out in the open. You obviously have a great deal of courage and have been on an incredible journey. I feel honoured to be part of the TP community and therefore a part of that journey. :clap:

Jill the words are powerful and the picture is testament to the strength of this forum and your strength and your ability to 'survive' (if thats not too strong a word) thus far!

I'm glad things turned positive for you! And I sincerely hope all the bad stuff is way in the past!

Good image, good (and moving) words!

Thanks John (y)

Jill, that's a hearbreaking story:(

I'm pleased to hear that you have found your self worth and that TP has become a special place to you, as it is to many of us. Have a hug:hug:

Keep up the good work(y)

Thanks Mark, glad you like it and here's one right back at you :hug:

Back