Midlands Brum Trip options

Edit My Images
Yes
There's a microscopically small TP meet in Brum in the middle of April. April14th. Just two of us at present. Neither of us knows the city so are looking for suggestions.
I came down last year and guided around by @robsea and @GreenNinja67 We went from Bull Ring/Selfridges back past the station to the library and the canal near the Sea Life centre. It was a good day and one that could be repeated, but is there anywhere else within easy walking distance of New Street Station that two of us can find without getting too lost?

Of course, if anyone wants to earn a pint by showing us round......

Train arrives in New Street at 9.05AM.

Last edited:
There's a microscopically small TP meet in Brum in the middle of April. Just two of us at present. Neither of us knows the city so are looking for suggestions.
I came down last year and guided around by @robsea and @GreenNinja67 We went from Bull Ring/Selfridges back past the station to the library and the canal near the Sea Life centre. It was a good day and one that could be repeated, but is there anywhere else within easy walking distance of New Street Station that two of us can find without getting too lost?

Of course, if anyone wants to earn a pint by showing us round......

Frank what is your planned date?

Sorry. I got my dates wrong. The date is APRIL14th
(21st is a Manchester meet)

Last edited:
A few places worth considering

Gas Street Basin
Bull RIng
Brindle Place
More Street Station? (I think that's the old fashioned one)

Do you have an idea of what sort of photos your looking for and how far you want to walk?

Do you have an idea of what sort of photos your looking for and how far you want to walk?
People/street is not for us.
Architecture/local interest is what we generally shoot.
Don't want to spend a long time walking somewhere for just a couple of shots but we expect to be on our feet moving around all day.
Don't mind taking a tram/bus to save a long hike.

Train arrives New Street at 09.05
Train home leaves New Street at 16.15.

We are happy to fully fill that time - until you want a pint!

Hi mickledore

Birmingham Library (great building, inside and out)
Gas Street (already mentioned)
The custard factory area, 10 min from the bullring (google it) its great for graffiti, wall art, old buildings. Car Park with a crushed car wall.

Hopefully I would be able to join you if that's ok, and you don't even need to buy me a pint more than happy to meet its a fantastic area.

Kevin (forklift)

Just thinking about Digbeth etc lots of old buildings etc but not one of the best areas..... Also Jewelry Quarter

Hopefully I would be able to join you if that's ok, and you don't even need to buy me a pint more than happy to meet its a fantastic area.
Of course you can join in.(y) I've posted our train times ^^^ and that's the only restriction we have.

Not saying I know my way round :eek: (but I can always us my phone!) just places I think my be worth looking at as @forklift says the Library is worth visiting There's ski a Wex just down the Hagely Road :rolleyes:

I can get the train form Kidderminster for just of £7 so doable and cheaper then parking! Just need to check I'm about and decide which camera to take!

We're coming down from Preston for £9 return on the Virgin Pendolino!!!

I went to the library last year but don't think @Billy has seen it. Deffo worth a visit.

@forklift sounds like a good man to have along:)

Thats good I looked at tickets to go the the NEC for the Photography show from Kidderminster it was £11.00 and its only just up the road! Last time we aid to park at Brindley Place it was over £11

Just looked at bus/tram tickets its about £6.00 for the day so may be worth looking at.

I'm hoping GreenNinga will be able to come as he works in Brum!

We even know where to park all day for free less than 100 yards from Preston station!!

Terry was with us last year and showed us round well. Doesn't he live somewhere near Kiddy?

I shall check with she who must be obeyed.

Although at the moment every spare hour is taken up with converting our van into a camper for May (hopefully)

IMG_0968.JPG

Last edited:
We even know where to park all day for free less than 100 yards from Preston station!!

Terry was with us last year and showed us round well. Doesn't he live somewhere near Kiddy?

Yes he does he's a member of Kidderminster Camera Club same as me if he's not on here later I'll speak to him at the club if he's there :) ETA no need to worry now!

I usually park at my friends in Blackheath and walk to Rowley Regis and get the train form there (may even do that if I can make it!)

Aren't there some canals and bridges in between new street and Birmingham international? I went passed them yesterday on the train from Wolverhampton to the photography show. I'm in Bridgnorth (not far from kiddy or Birmingham), but don't know Birmingham very well.

Aren't there some canals and bridges in between new street and Birmingham international? I went passed them yesterday on the train from Wolverhampton to the photography show. I'm in Bridgnorth (not far from kiddy or Birmingham), but don't know Birmingham very well.

Yes there are quite a few spots along the canals

Why not come along? You too might learn something new!

Hi mickledore

Is the Brum trip still on? if yes what time will your train get in and where shall we meet.

Kevin

Hey @forklift.
Yes, trip is very much on. We arrive in New Street at 9:05 on Saturday morning - or should do! Train started out as the 6:58 from Lancaster and is scheduled to arrive on Platform 1, although that may well change.
Excuse my lack of local knowledge, but there's a big entry/exit on Stephenson Street opposite Cafe Nero. Meet you by the steel bollards - under the no entry sign shown below?
New Street.JPG

You won't miss us. I'm 6'2" and ugly with it. @Billy will be talking a lot. Assuming a few minutes to get from the platform meet approx 9:10???

@Downton Mini
@GreenNinja67
@Nostromo

You guys able to come along?

Frank.

That sounds good to me, you will recognize me as I will be the guy with the camera.
At the moment I'm waiting for permission to take some shots inside the building on the upper mall (waiting for an email from them) I contacted british
rail about taking photos in the station and they said we should let customer services know what we are doing, if we do that there should be no problem with security.

Kevin

I have the tickets are we parking in the usual area?

Back