Midlands Brum Trip options

Well it's OK for you pros who get paid holidays. But driving from here is close on 4 hours. Don't forget I have "pleasure" of M62, M6, M60 and the unofficial policy of a camera enforced 50mph max speed limit. Train is over 3 hours with tight changes in the middle.
I can get to London, Edinburgh, Glasgow or Bristol in far less time. (And have done so)

I'll have to give it a miss this time Frank. I'm hoping to finish the van conversion next weekend. Or at least get it useable.

No problems, Terry.
Thanks for letting us know.
If you want to forward some beer tokens we will do our best to drink them :beer:

have you looked up the Black Country museum? well worth a visit, old shops coal mine to go down canal tunnel under dudley castle. Oh and the best fish and chip shop in whole of the UK.. the whole place has had building and shops moved here from across the black country. I have been there twice and easily spend the whole day there, great for photographs as well

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02eXYuPtsmk

KVdVR9O.jpg

link
https://www.bclm.co.uk/

Chip shop

nMGRC49.jpg

it is so big a place, another part

mXpRRjQ.jpg

MfN8wXc.jpg

K1Fjhcw.jpg

Not forgetting the child inside you a proper old fashioned funfare

CVNhumG.jpg

Last edited:
Went there with SWMBO last year. Bit of PIA to get to - train to Wolverhampton; train to Tipton, bus to somewhere in the middle of nowhere then 1.5 mile walk. It's very good but a bit like Beamish lite.

Still got annual tickets for free entry, or might have if Robsea still has them!

As for the chippy? The queues were insane. 2 hour wait the sign said. For fish and chips? Nothing is that good!

Enjoy yourselves folks, sadly or not I will be in Northumberland this coming weekend with my cameras and my new toy drone.

I'll see you the weekend after @mickledore for the station :D
Thanks Chris. Take care. You know what you are like for attracting accidents!

Be in touch next week - trains are booked and paid for.

Went there with SWMBO last year. Bit of PIA to get to - train to Wolverhampton; train to Tipton, bus to somewhere in the middle of nowhere then 1.5 mile walk. It's very good but a bit like Beamish lite.

Still got annual tickets for free entry, or might have if Robsea still has them!

As for the chippy? The queues were insane. 2 hour wait the sign said. For fish and chips? Nothing is that good!

You havn't tried them then, we went when the place was a bit quieter ,but as you can see they were already queuing up at least 30 minutes before they opened. not cooked in oil but in beef dripping
As i said we got there early and in the picture you can see others heading for the shop as well.No wonder you had a 2 hr wait that chippie is famous throughout the black country

Last edited:
Oh yes. I remember chips cooked in dripping. Nothing like what you get today. And when the dripping had been used for a few weeks the taste "matured". The food police won't allow such pleasures nowadays.

Hey @forklift.
Yes, trip is very much on. We arrive in New Street at 9:05 on Saturday morning - or should do! Train started out as the 6:58 from Lancaster and is scheduled to arrive on Platform 1, although that may well change.
Excuse my lack of local knowledge, but there's a big entry/exit on Stephenson Street opposite Cafe Nero. Meet you by the steel bollards - under the no entry sign shown below?
View attachment 123870

You won't miss us. I'm 6'2" and ugly with it. @Billy will be talking a lot. Assuming a few minutes to get from the platform meet approx 9:10???

@Downton Mini
@GreenNinja67
@Nostromo

You guys able to come along?

Frank.
Are you all still going?
I'm 99% sure I can make it, if still OK to tag along. I only say 99% sure just incase something crops up.

Are you all still going?
I'm 99% sure I can make it, if still OK to tag along. I only say 99% sure just incase something crops up.
Yes. Still on.
Meet details are in post #34 above^^^^^
Very briefly meet outside the station approx 9.10AM. On Stephenson Street.
Where we go after that has yet to be decided.
Hope to see you there.

ah man, its a shame you aren't staying til later, I finish work at 6 (in centre of Brum) and could have tagged along.

Thanks for the WEX guide, I’ll have a read of that tonight when I’m home from work.

Hi All

That is about the route I was going to suggest we take, we should have a good day especially if the weather improves.
See you Saturday.

Kevin

@mickledore I'll meet you at Preston station as I'm getting the train as my local line to Preston starts running again on Saturday, only 4 weeks behind schedule but still diesel not electric as promised.

@mickledore I'll meet you at Preston station as I'm getting the train as my local line to Preston starts running again on Saturday, only 4 weeks behind schedule but still diesel not electric as promised.
@Billy Four weeks? You're lucky. Our local station is 9 months behind schedule, with no end in sight.

Yup. Meet you on the platform. Platform 4 it says.

Our local station only has steam and diesel trains.
Now there's another suggestion for a meet.
You're a good man. Get one organised!!!

Just checked and I can get to Kiddy for £12 return. That becomes tempting.

Last edited:
Nah, nah, na na, nah:p

See you in Pitt Street. 6.45AM.
Alarm is set for 5.45.

Did you get rid of the old backpack you had in the freebies? As my work bag finally give up the will to survive today.

No. Guy who wanted it never came. Put it off until ?????
Shout quickly. It's in the attic and I'm halfway through a bottle of red.
Want it? The rucksack, not the vino! !!

Just so you can recognise me tomorrow, I'll be wearing a blue baseball cap and have a black backpack (that won't be all I'm wearing :D)

If you could get it I'd have it for work, it's got to be worth a :beer:

That looks like Vimto to me, I'd better bring an undiluted bottle then.

Thanks guys. A good day out.
Hope you got home safely.
As for the girls with the pints of port and lemon......

Back