buying for the sake of it

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
been doing quite a bit of online buying during the lockdown , bit of spare cash available as not using the car to much , buying stuff I might or might not use , its getting to the point i'm forgetting what I actually have ordered ,got that much crap on the way , bits from here ,e.bay,amazon etc and just signed up to wish

anyone else afflicted by this bug :runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

Yeah me..

..just bought an old Eumig home cine projector and screen. Got some old 8mm film from family to watch.
Wanna give the retro experience a go.
I feel your pain trev , got thousands of old slides tucked away somewhere .. do they still sell slide projectors ...OFFF TOOO THE BAYYY BYYYEEEEEE

I have very little self control and have problems with moderation (as in reasonable quantity, not the self important forum police :p ;)) so I don't "do" e-b@y. Amazon can be a problem but I use the wish list now and can usually talk myself out of about 1/4 of the stuff I put in there.

Actually Iv gone the other way Jeff and sold loads of gear and just concentrating on what i really need .

Rob.

I've gone the other way, not bought anything at all. Now i'm out and about more I'm contemplating a swap in gear but i'm indecisive when it comes to choosing camera stuff so I normally end up sticking with what I have :LOL:

I've bought DVD's, CD's, a car jump starter, a couple of step up rings and a cold frame for Mrs WW. That's about it.

Nikon D500, Nikon 200-500mm, double camera harness, XQD card, screen protectors, Sigma 105mm macro, light shades x3, wallpaper, military patch, 2 military tshirts, garden trail camera, micro SD card, monopod, there's more but cant remember.

Mmm not so much camera gear but I have bought a lot of Adidas trainers.

Have spent about £1200 in the past 2 months or so, have no idea why just bored I guess. Did the same around black friday when there was a lot of offers on.

Now have enough to do a lifetime

Last edited:
Good to know it’s just not me then :D:D:D

It's not just you. I have recently come back to taking photos with a (proper) camera rather than just snapping stuff my iPhone - so there is the purchase of the camera. Although I have tried to be resistant to all the bells and whistles and trinkets to go with it, I've still bought a wrist strap, memory cards and a should sling bag.

I had a bit of a clear out of other 'stuff' during lockdown and generated about £2500 (the bulk of which was from a 3rd car that was a frivolous expense prior to lockdown but became a driveway ornament during lockdown so it went early on) via fleabay.

So in actual fact I've had money burning a hole in my pocket, with not really anything I *need* to buy - so I'm going to buy an old film camera and rekindle my youff messing around with that :)

Good to know it’s just not me then :D:D:D

Certainly not Jeff, Amazon last 6 months 68 items purchased (4 returned) doing my bit to keep the wheels of commerce turning.
I think we are going to need a bigger house? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Certainly not Jeff, Amazon last 6 months 68 items purchased (4 returned) doing my bit to keep the wheels of commerce turning.
That doesn't work you just buy even more stuff :)

I believe that's called "stimulating the economy" :LOL:

I have been supporting local business in my own way...................................mainly the Indian and Pizza takeaway restaurants :naughty:

Patrik and Martyn, my Amazon delivery guys, are now good friends. Between the my Wife and I it's unusual to go more than a couple of days without the doorbell ringing. Oh, and it has to be same day or next day delivery of course.

I've found we've been (generally) buying a fair bit online, but I think much of that was replacing going to actual shops.
I had just bought a couple of photographic things before lockdown, so I didn't feel the need to buy lots, but it hasn't stopped me trawling the secondhand ads and ebay looking for bargains. Hence finding a bargain wide angle lens.

Lockdown has prompted me to do other things, like start a 365 photo project, which I'm now 89 days into.

I have got a Canon RP and lenses coming on the Canon loan programme for a weekend, so I may end up trying to sell a kidney to fund a camera swap. ;)

Started off with just a new bag, then components to build 2 PCs - 1 editing and 1 gaming for my son and a new oak desk plus box shelves for above it. Then the buying escalated into railway sleepers, scaffold boards, decking, 2 tonnes of gravel, garden furniture, numerous bags of compost and 300 quids worth of plants!!!!! Garden looks nice though!

Thankfully the spend is offset by my mileage having dropped from about 400 miles per week to about 4! plus no weekends away, restaurants, takeaways etc, so I'm about even!

been doing quite a bit of online buying during the lockdown , bit of spare cash available as not using the car to much , buying stuff I might or might not use , its getting to the point i'm forgetting what I actually have ordered ,got that much crap on the way , bits from here ,e.bay,amazon etc and just signed up to wish

anyone else afflicted by this bug :runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

I seemed to have experienced the opposite; I've hardly spent any money during lockdown as I hardly go to any shops where I would usually waste money and I'm starting to hate Amazon (never been a big fan of eBay either).

I'm trying to source independent shops and avoid cheap Chinese products wherever possible, which takes more time. Unfortunately, anything I've amassed over the last few months is about to be extracted with rapid precision by my wife for various home renovations she wants. :rolleyes:

Fender Strat.

G75k4a4.jpg
Now that's just teasing... we can't see the headstock and serial number, and without that we don't know if it's original or modified, Japanese, Mexican or USA, pre-CBS, CBS, Dan Smith era CBS, or post-CBS, etc. So come on, put us out of our misery. ;)

Yes, I might have a Strat or two too and like their guitars. :whistle:

Covid cost me a Mavic Air 2 Combo :( :)):)) and high speed SD card to go with it.

A lounge redecoration :( (Me) in payment for above.

A telescope (Granddaughter).

A motorised cleaning brush gadget from some obscure website (which seems to actually work) :(

A Lightning to HDTV cable for our caravan (so we can use unlimited 4G for Netflix, etc).

It's not all bad :)

A bread maker.... used every other day and we’ve had fantastic bread. Always wanted one but it took lockdown for Mr. Bebop to be persuaded.

A new phone (yesterday) - old one not broken but can no longer have iOS updates. Chuffed to have a speedier phone with lots of space and better camera. Would probably have purchased anyway.

Attachments for my Kenwood mixer. I’m not even that into cooking but somehow making pasta looks like fun. I’m sure I’d never have bought this without lockdown.

Well it didn’t last, ordered over £100 in film last night :LOL:

I've gone in the other direction, I'm a kit addict and over the past 2 years I've bought so much stuff that I very rarely use.
Now I've moved to EOSR and RF lenses I've sold my 5D Mark IV and all my EF lenses.

Which coffee grinder did you buy?

gJiKISe.jpg

Now that's just teasing... we can't see the headstock and serial number, and without that we don't know if it's original or modified, Japanese, Mexican or USA, pre-CBS, CBS, Dan Smith era CBS, or post-CBS, etc. So come on, put us out of our misery. ;)

Yes, I might have a Strat or two too and like their guitars. :whistle:

Not new. Non-CBS. Not Japanese. Modified...

Fes3asU.jpg

DxsVYvE.jpg

W8BtqP9.jpg

o0Ph750.jpg

Last edited:
A new freezer when our old one inexplicably kept raising its temperature
Bit of concern thinking we might lose the lot and it was at the time when shopping was hard to come by
Local firm delivered a new one the same day and then the old one decided to work normally again
Got both going now although not much confidence in the original so glad of the back up

Last edited:
Back