Buying from DigitalRev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Jez
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking at upgrading my 550D to the 60D and have found a deal that suits me on DigitalRev
HTML:
http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-eos-60d-digital-camera/OTc1MA_A_A

Has anyone bought from here?

I've read they are from HongKong, although it states Free Shipping, will I get stung for Import Tax?

How good are they?

I bought from them last December & all went very smoothly. Item arrived in three/four days with tracking for every step of the journey. A lot on TP have bought from them & not heard any stories of people being stung for any extras like tax. If this were to happen DR offer to reimburse. It saved me about £100 on a £400 camera.

Bottom line is I would have no hesitation in buying from them again.

They're certainly about the best of the Asian sellers. I bought from them last week, no probs.

They have their own forum here Jez, I'm surprised you haven't seen it.

Good company to deal with, fast delivery, responsive, depending on what they are offering at point of sale you may be liable for import duty or they may cover it.

I've used them a few times over the years, mostly with great service and prices, apart from one dreadful experience around Chinese New Year a while back, which took weeks to sort out, and all it was was an ND8 filter. They sent to wrong one and would not send the correct one until I'd returned the first one. Then they had a stock problem and had to offer a replacement, all with Chinese New Year slowing the whole postal service dramatically. Four weeks to get a flipping filter. I probably only saved a fiver as well.

Most recently I received outstanding service and great prices on an order for a couple of teleconverters placed late on Friday night (around 23:00) and delivered first thing Monday morning (09:56). It was a real treat to see progress continuing around the globe over the weekend.

I'm also a big fan of HDEW too, and they are top of my supplier list, if they have the product at the right price. For a camera body I'd be tempted to seek a UK supplier, even if the camera is a grey import, because I'd rather the convenience of local support and UK/European consumer legislation in the event of any upsets.

Cool, cheers guy's you all seem to recommend them enough :) I had seen a number of threads but they were 2010/11 and wanted some reassurances myself.

Jez

Hi, just bought a battery grip for my D7000 from them last week, took 3 days to arrive, well packed and I will consider buying from them again.:)

Bought a Tamron lens from them

Great price, good comms, came in 5 days and very well packaged

Would use again

You probably wouldn't get stung for import duty as the last camera I bought from them was declared as a digital camera, value £ 46. It was actually a 7D. Sent it back as the LCD had a strong yellow tone and got a full refund inc. return shipping.

Ordered camera Sunday night. Got it Wednesday morning.

ordering my 1dx from them tonight :)

I bought my 60D from them just before Christmas - amazing price and amazingly quick shipping - I ordered on Friday afternoon and it was in my hands by 10am on Monday.

You probably wouldn't get stung for import duty as the last camera I bought from them was declared as a digital camera, value £ 46. It was actually a 7D.

I wouldn't shout out too loud about that - it's a criminal act to avoid paying duty and VAT. And it's the recipient that's guilty, not the sender.

I will probably be posting a very sorry story about a useless LX7 and DigitalRev's aftercare service soon......

I will probably be posting a very sorry story about a useless LX7 and DigitalRev's aftercare service soon......

It would be good to have the story as the LX7 is on my shortlist to replace a TZ series Panasonic. I would have bought from DigitalRev as I did with my last camera but holding back now.

Well I ordered a 7D. Received it today, I only ordered it Weds evening. Couldn't be happier! What a service :D

Used them to buy a couple of things, delivery always seems to be great, and the prices aren't bad either! :)

you wont get stung for duty unless you buy from their ebay shop

good seller fast delivery try onestopdigital as well :)

My first transaction was super smooth, highly recommended. The second, which is in process.. not so smooth but really don't to system error. I will buy from them again. Well, I am and actually they're shipping super fast. I imagine Monday or Tuesday I'll have the cameras as it left HK on friday and...

About the import tax, we got charged by DHL yesterday. I'll see what DR say in response to our email. I'm pretty happy with them still.

Made my first purchase from DigitalRev.
Ordered a Sigma 35mm f1.4 on Friday last at around 1300. Delivered a few minutes ago! Given that a weekend intervened that is excellent service (and the price was good).

Well done DigitalRev. I'll become a returning customer some time.

I will never buy from DigitalRev again. I have a faulty camera. I've spent much more than I saved sending it to repairers. Now DigitalRev want it sent back to HK before they will decide on the next course of action. "We'll get it collected from you" I am told. Does a courier ever turn up? No. The only way I am guaranteed to get it to HK is if I stump up the postage fee. Then I have no idea whether or not Panasonic HK will be able to find out what the fault it (Panasonic UK's repairer AVS are unable to do so), and whether this means a replacement or another ineffective repair.
So far I have been months without the camera, I have spent money I shouldn't have to spend and all because the non CE warranty is next to useless in terms of effective customer service.
I've learned my lesson. Next time I will spend a bit more, but have the peace of mind that my camera is covered here in Europe by a proper guarantee.

Next time I will spend a bit more, but have the peace of mind that my camera is covered here in Europe by a proper guarantee.

Yes, it was that clause in their T&Cs that said something along the lines of - "If we screw with you then you agree that any legal action can only be taken in Hong Kong - and good luck with that!" - that put me off using them and others like them.

Great how DigitalRev have the time to update their forum on TP but aren't able to answer emails to them. Weeks without a working camera and no support at all from them despite their "worldwide guarantee".

Great how DigitalRev have the time to update their forum on TP but aren't able to answer emails to them. Weeks without a working camera and no support at all from them despite their "worldwide guarantee".

I found the standard customer service absolute trash and directed my problems via Christy on here. Standard customer services barely read my queries properly, judging by their responses.

I found the standard customer service absolute trash and directed my problems via Christy on here. Standard customer services barely read my queries properly, judging by their responses.

Thanks for the tip. I will give that a go.

Well she did reply. I doubt it will do any good though. I will have to mail this back to HK myself as they are incapable of getting it collected. More costs to me. I should never have bought from this outfit.
I've now written to give them the choice, refund or replacement camera.

I was looking to buy a 70-200 f4 L from them, but its not clear about VAT and duty. It says "No Import Tax/Duty to Pay: Any import tax/duty charged will be billed directly to us." which suggest its paid, but from what people say on here the under state the value on the package....

When I send a package overseas with fedex, dhl, ups etc., there are boxes on the waybill to charge duty / taxes to either the

a) shipper
b) recipient or
c) a third party

Normally a shipper would choose b), but I presume they currently are using option a) where the shipper is charged any duty/vat but seek to minimise the amount paid by misrepresenting the declared value.

When I send a package overseas with fedex, dhl, ups etc., there are boxes on the waybill to charge duty / taxes to either the

a) shipper
b) recipient or
c) a third party

Normally a shipper would choose b), but I presume they currently are using option a) where the shipper is charged any duty/vat but seek to minimise the amount paid by misrepresenting the declared value.

Thanks, this does make sense.

I was looking to buy a 70-200 f4 L from them, but its not clear about VAT and duty. It says "No Import Tax/Duty to Pay: Any import tax/duty charged will be billed directly to us." which suggest its paid, but from what people say on here the under state the value on the package....

I just hope you never have a problem with it, because you will find that making a processing warranty claims in a nightmare. I will never use them again.

I just hope you never have a problem with it, because you will find that making a processing warranty claims in a nightmare. I will never use them again.

Thats food for thought, I never thought that could be a problem. Did you get it sorted out in the end?

Did you pay by credit card? You may have remedy via that for a full refund.

Manufacturer refurb stores are good place to look for cheaper gear but with full warranty.

Disappointed in digital rev though. Might be worth leaving a few pertinent comments on Facebook pages and the like.

a) shipper
b) recipient or
c) a third party

That might work for sending abroad to a country with different taxation rules, but under UK law it is the UK recipient who is solely liable and responsible for any tax or duty owed.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/
2.1 Does the sender have to declare the goods?
Yes. Under international postal agreements the sender must complete a customs declaration (form CN22 or CN23) which in most cases should be fixed to the package. The declaration includes a description of the goods, the value and whether they are gifts or commercial items. Any Post Office abroad should be able to give advice to the sender.

Under customs law, you as the importer are legally responsible for the information on the declaration; therefore it is in your own interest to ensure, wherever possible, that the sender abroad completes the declaration accurately and in full.

If no declaration is made, or the information is inaccurate, the package may be delayed while the Border Force make further enquiries, or in some cases the package and its contents may be returned to the sender or seized by the Border Force.

top ^
2.2 Do I have to pay import duties and/or import VAT on goods sent to me?

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:

customs duty
excise duty
import VAT

and must be paid whether:

you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift
the goods are new or used (including antiques)
the goods are for your private use or for re-sale

Even if the sender voluntarily wants to pay the duty, you as the receiver have a legal obligation to ensure it has been done.

That might work for sending abroad to a country with different taxation rules, but under UK law it is the UK recipient who is solely liable and responsible for any tax or duty owed.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/

Even if the sender voluntarily wants to pay the duty, you as the receiver have a legal obligation to ensure it has been done.

Yes, I'm aware of the situation, I'm explaining how duty/vat could theoretically be paid without the buyer being aware of it.

Yes, I'm aware of the situation, I'm explaining how duty/vat could theoretically be paid without the buyer being aware of it.

The buyer would always be aware if duty and vat were prepaid by the foreign shipper, the shipper would have to include proof of the payment with the package.

HMRC has special arrangements that allow some overseas traders to charge, collect and pay over to us the import VAT for goods purchased by mail order, that would normally be chargeable at the time the goods are imported. These arrangements operate under Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) signed with certain overseas customs and postal authorities. The countries that have a MoU with HMRC are - the Channel Islands, Hong Kong, Singapore and New Zealand. Overseas traders wanting to use this procedure must be authorised to do so by their authorities.

Once authorised, foreign businesses are issued with a unique authorisation number, which they must show on the customs declaration or packaging. They will include the statement 'Import VAT Prepaid'.

If you don't get the authorisation number and "import VAT Prepaid" statement, then it isn't paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back