Buying Printer, is it worth it?

I've only used professionals for digital prints twice. The first printed an A3 way too dark and the second (not the same people) did our wedding album and I couldn't criticise it at all. And before someone says the dark print was down to a calibration issue at my end I'll point out that all the pictures were processed by me using the same kit and only one was a waste of money.

Just out of curiosity, perhaps someone could give a short list of reputable photo printing companies, I wouldn't know what I was looking for should I choose to do it sometime.

I say "yes" to buying a good printer you can have loads of fun.
i bought a canon pro-100 about 7 years ago and its been great , up to A3+ and quite cheap to run
with decent paper its about 50p a sheet for a full print , it also means you can print out friends and relatives stuff in to cheap frames
and give them as presents.

oddly enough i will sadly be selling my pro-100 soon as i am retiring and heading over to Crete in about a year and I will treat myself to something newer out there rather than transport it.

Just out of curiosity, perhaps someone could give a short list of reputable photo printing companies, I wouldn't know what I was looking for should I choose to do it sometime.
It would probably make for a good sticky thread at the top of this forum..

To kick it off, the two I use are:
DSCL
One Vision Imaging

Definitely recommend buying a printer. I have a canon Pixma and I love it. I can print upto A3 and it comes in handy.

DSCL
One Vision Imaging
I've just had a board print back from Cewe, and I'm impressed https://www.cewe.co.uk/

A little pricey but allegedly (?) Boots use them and are cheaper

Oh, and when printing your own (on a venerable R-series Epson in my case) there is a special frisson when, after doing all your prep, the final print screws up for some reason and you have to bin the sheet.

Last edited:
I say "yes" to buying a good printer you can have loads of fun.
i bought a canon pro-100 about 7 years ago and its been great , up to A3+ and quite cheap to run
with decent paper its about 50p a sheet for a full print , it also means you can print out friends and relatives stuff in to cheap frames
and give them as presents.

oddly enough i will sadly be selling my pro-100 soon as i am retiring and heading over to Crete in about a year and I will treat myself to something newer out there rather than transport it.

Hope you're still going to post here once you're out in sunny Crete :D

Last edited:
Buying a printer, is it worth it?
Well, after my morning I'd say no.
I'm going to a funeral in Spain tomorrow and need to print off 20-odd A3 prints to take with me.
My Canon pixma 8750 has just died halfway through the first one.
My old Canon TS 8150 is currently doing good work printing off some A4 copies but as it's only been used for scanning since I got the 8750 a couple of years ago the ink is running low..
I may look into some of the eco-tank types when we get back - anyone got any experience of them (A3 is essential)

DSCL
One Vision Imaging
Two I would avoid personally unless I'm desperate.

Loxley are better but crazy expensive.
Or better still anyone from fine art guild. These will be small suppliers.

You'll find best and cheapest way are really large older 2nd hand 8-12 color printers. But you need to print quite frequently and this actually applied to any printer except lasers which are useless for this.

Buying a printer, is it worth it?
Well, after my morning I'd say no.
I'm going to a funeral in Spain tomorrow and need to print off 20-odd A3 prints to take with me.
My Canon pixma 8750 has just died halfway through the first one.
My old Canon TS 8150 is currently doing good work printing off some A4 copies but as it's only been used for scanning since I got the 8750 a couple of years ago the ink is running low..
I may look into some of the eco-tank types when we get back - anyone got any experience of them (A3 is essential)
Re: A3
I have quite recently bought the Epson ET-8550 EcoTank printer and it is slightly larger at A3+ (I intend to get 2 off 12x8 inch prints, as needed, per A3+ sheet.....I have a pack of that size of Epson Semi-Gloss to hand)

IMO the prints I have done do far on Epson papers have been very nice indeed. I also have some sample papers for greetings cards and will decide on which one(s) I prefer and get custom profiles done.

PS it comes & goes into stock but i am happy about my purchase.

PPS this has 6 inks (C, Y, M, Photo Black, Light Grey & Pigment Black ~ Keith Cooper of Northlight Images determined that in certain setup instances printing B&W that it uses both the pigment and due black inks. The pigment black is mostly used just for document printing)

Last edited:
I bought a Canon Pixma Pro 200 which does up to A3+. Really nice to be able to print your own at decent quality and size. I’ve printed enough to have got my moneys worth but the Ink sure isn’t cheap.

I have quite recently bought the Epson ET-8550 EcoTank printer and it is slightly larger at A3+ (I intend to get 2 off 12x8 inch prints, as needed, per A3+ sheet.....I have a pack of that size of Epson Semi-Gloss to hand)

IMO the prints I have done do far on Epson papers have been very nice indeed. I also have some sample papers for greetings cards and will decide on which one(s) I prefer and get custom profiles done.

PS it comes & goes into stock but i am happy about my purchase.

PPS this has 6 inks (C, Y, M, Photo Black, Light Grey & Pigment Black ~ Keith Cooper of Northlight Images determined that in certain setup instances printing B&W that it uses both the pigment and due black inks. The pigment black is mostly used just for document printing)
Thanks for that - I'd be interested to know how the ink costs work out. Does it seem OK so far? I don't print a lot, hate the idea of new cartridges every 3 prints and would rather pay more upfront and again every few months..

What do you mean by this, please?
Just with regard to convenience. I don’t think the cost per print is too relevant unless you print thousands of pages. I like the convenience of printing in my own time and having the prints in a matter of seconds. when my son was born, I reckon I printed 250 pages in the first few months just cos I could. Don’t think I’d have half of the prints that I do if I was ordering/going to a shop for them.

Thanks for that - I'd be interested to know how the ink costs work out. Does it seem OK so far? I don't print a lot, hate the idea of new cartridges every 3 prints and would rather pay more upfront and again every few months..

As mentioned in my previous post about the ET-8550
It comes with a complete set of 70ml ink bottles and the startup initiation uses a part of that initial filling of the of the tanks.
A none too good phone picture of the tank levels this evening
IMG_20220423_175202104.png

The levels have barely moved since the initiation usage took the levels down to about the marker you can just see visible by the ink levels.

I have printed the following pages as shown on a nozzle check printout:-
Total pages 135
Blank Pages 4
Colour Pages 101
B&W pages 30

Now the above figures include 23 photos, all bar a few were A4 size and about 6 were B&W
The rest are documents of various with colour and some B&W.
To date on any printer I have ever owned I don't think I have printed so many photos (NB as my first decent photo printer I started by printing standard test images including B&W ones to assess the quality of the prints).

In regard to costs of ink the 70ml bottles cost £15.99 (the old Canon XXL carts with 11.4ml volumes were about that price).
Note ~ the bottles that came with the printer still have approx 1/5th of the original volume left in them :)

I fully expect to not have to buy new a bottle set before 2023.

Over at PhotoPXL website Kevin Raber had one of the first ones in the USA that he bought and reviewed.
In a recent forum discussion with him he said that he only just this last week had used the remainder on the original bottles and ordered some more. It is my understanding that he has been printing with it on a regular'ish basis, so the inks do last a good while ;)

Lastly, as mentioned in my other post and as relative novice to home printing....I have found Epson Print Layout a real boon and very user friendly IMO.

Here are some screenshots that might be of interest?

Here is the drop down of the paper choices within the settings panel

354dcf63f84249959b19bdbbb2ac4f1d

Screenshot of the Epson Print Layout settings panel to show the Media Types installed with the printer.

Here is a screengrab of the ICC profiles selectable that are installed with the printer

d85bc48ad7e9470f85eceffc4fdfa9b4

AFAIK the one titled Series Standard only appears when Plain Paper or Letterhead are the chosen media.

But of note for printing photographs the ICC profile for Premium Luster is also installed with the printer driver.......though oddly not 'visible' as a choice on the Media Type in EPL. Subject to those who know EPL better I surmise that one would choose Premium Semi-gloss from the Media Types but further down the Settings List manually choose the Luster ICC Profile ?

I hope that is of some use to you :)

Last edited:
As mentioned in my previous post about the ET-8550
It comes with a complete set of 70ml ink bottles and the startup initiation uses a part of that initial filling of the of the tanks.
A none too good phone picture of the tank levels this evening
View attachment 350978

The levels have barely moved since the initiation usage took the levels down to about the marker you can just see visible by the ink levels.

I have printed the following pages as shown on a nozzle check printout:-
Total pages 135
Blank Pages 4
Colour Pages 101
B&W pages 30

Now the above figures include 23 photos, all bar a few were A4 size and about 6 were B&W
The rest are documents of various with colour and some B&W.
To date on any printer I have ever owned I don't think I have printed so many photos (NB as my first decent photo printer I started by printing standard test images including B&W ones to assess the quality of the prints).

In regard to costs of ink the 70ml bottles cost £15.99 (the old Canon XXL carts with 11.4ml volumes were about that price).
Note ~ the bottles that came with the printer still have approx 1/5th of the original volume left in them :)

I fully expect to not have to buy new a bottle set before 2023.

Over at PhotoPXL website Kevin Raber had one of the first ones in the USA that he bought and reviewed.
In a recent forum discussion with him he said that he only just this last week had used the remainder on the original bottles and ordered some more. It is my understanding that he has been printing with it on a regular'ish basis, so the inks do last a good while ;)

Lastly, as mentioned in my other post and as relative novice to home printing....I have found Epson Print Layout a real boon and very user friendly IMO.

Here are some screenshots that might be of interest?

Here is the drop down of the paper choices within the settings panel

354dcf63f84249959b19bdbbb2ac4f1d

Screenshot of the Epson Print Layout settings panel to show the Media Types installed with the printer.

Here is a screengrab of the ICC profiles selectable that are installed with the printer

d85bc48ad7e9470f85eceffc4fdfa9b4

AFAIK the one titled Series Standard only appears when Plain Paper or Letterhead are the chosen media.

But of note for printing photographs the ICC profile for Premium Luster is also installed with the printer driver.......though oddly not 'visible' as a choice on the Media Type in EPL. Subject to those who know EPL better I surmise that one would choose Premium Semi-gloss from the Media Types but further down the Settings List manually choose the Luster ICC Profile ?

I hope that is of some use to you :)
Indeed it is very useful, thank you.
I'd not read the whole thread when I first asked you about the printer but did and got a lot from your first reply too.
It certainly looks like the sort of printer I want so will keep my eye on prices. Thanks for your help!

I have quite recently bought the Epson ET-8550 EcoTank printer...

Thanks for posting all this.

I have an Epson R2880 which must be quite old now and it seems to just drink ink. I do very few prints these days but some documents and the cost of running the thing seems very high. I don't know if I'll be buying a printer any time soon but if I have to I'll definitely take a long hard look at this one.

Indeed it is very useful, thank you.
I'd not read the whole thread when I first asked you about the printer but did and got a lot from your first reply too.
It certainly looks like the sort of printer I want so will keep my eye on prices. Thanks for your help!
IMO the price of the ET-8550 will not get lower at all/any time soon! It is the stock question......demand is exceeding supply.

The likes of Wex and Park have not had stock for months. The Epson store and John Lewis were the ones I kept an eye on. It came back into stock in the Epson Store and I waited 24 hours to see if JL then had it.

I did not want to miss it again so bought direct from Epson. It arrived in a timely manner but the outer(retail) box showed clear signs of a hard journey. At that point if I could have relied on the stock being available I would have rejected it & returned it BUT I set it up and touch wood it has been working fine.

Though I lodged a complaint about the state of the box and handling.....and they have 'registered' that with a case number, should any usage issues arise from none too obvious internal damage!

In regard to JL, I had an email 5 days after I received my printer but they had it available for about 24 hours before it went out of stock again.

PS when I looked at the Epson Store a day or so ago, they still showed 'buy now' stock ;)

Last edited:
IMO the price of the ET-8550 will not get lower at all/any time soon! It is the stock question......demand is exceeding supply.

The likes of Wex and Park have not had stock for months. The Epson store and John Lewis were the ones I kept an eye on. It came back into stock in the Epson Store and I waited 24 hours to see if JL then had it.

I did not want to miss it again so bought direct from Epson. It arrived in a timely manner but the outer(retail) box showed clear signs of a hard journey. At that point if I could have relied on the stock being available I would have rejected it & returned it BUT I set it up and touch wood it has been working fine.

Though I lodged a complaint about the state of the box and handling.....and they have 'registered' that with a case number, should any usage issues arise from none too obvious internal damage!

In regard to JL, I had an email 5 days after I received my printer but they had it available for about 24 hours before it went out of stock again.

PS when I looked at the Epson Store a day or so ago, they still showed 'buy now' stock ;)
Another question if you have the time and patience please BB..
I've been reading up on the 8550 and am not sure about the desk space needed when in use. Can you give me some idea of how much depth is needed when printing A3 - I have about 550mm from the wall to the front of my desk, and don't care how much sticks out over the front when the paper tray is extended. Otherwise is certainly looks like the printer I need.
Many thanks again for your help!

Another question if you have the time and patience please BB..
I've been reading up on the 8550 and am not sure about the desk space needed when in use. Can you give me some idea of how much depth is needed when printing A3 - I have about 550mm from the wall to the front of my desk, and don't care how much sticks out over the front when the paper tray is extended. Otherwise is certainly looks like the printer I need.
Many thanks again for your help!
@stevewestern

No problem.

Over at Northlight, Keith published his review here

In that review he added this dimensions image
rear-space-768x505.jpg

I used this to 'inform' my decision and the space I am using.

Mine is placed on a 50cm deep shelf unit but I have placed it 1.8cm forward of the shelf edge, making sure that the rubber foot pads at the front of the printer are on the shelf.

My measurements 'show' that when I use my A3+ paper there is just sufficient room to feed in the paper and allow it to rest against/close to the wall behind. The gap between the shelf and the one above is 53cm.

Therefore IMO with your desk depth of 55cm you have plenty of room on the basis that like me you are happy that the output tray (not shown in Keith's picture above) sticks out over the edge of the shelf or desk.

Note ~ the output tray extends approx 18cm with A4 paper and though I have yet to use my A3+ paper....the tray does AFAIK (I have pulled it to full extension) extend further out at 22cm from the printer.

My shelf unit has open frame sides so I have put the printer as close as possible to the end of the shelf but I also need to freeboard space at the other end ~ so IMO you need to allow a minimum of 58cm width space.

PS If you use for general office printing beware of using too light a paper. I inadvertently bought 'recycled' 80 gsm paper and it is not 'as heavy' as the previous mixed source paper. The reason I say beware....is that I have found that if you print duplex with large areas of graphics the ink soaks the paper and it jams the duplexer. I will not be making that mistake again !!!

I hope that helps and best of luck with it when/if you decide to get one :)

@stevewestern

No problem.

Over at Northlight, Keith published his review here

In that review he added this dimensions image
View attachment 351563

I used this to 'inform' my decision and the space I am using.

Mine is placed on a 50cm deep shelf unit but I have placed it 1.8cm forward of the shelf edge, making sure that the rubber foot pads at the front of the printer are on the shelf.

My measurements 'show' that when I use my A3+ paper there is just sufficient room to feed in the paper and allow it to rest against/close to the wall behind. The gap between the shelf and the one above is 53cm.

Therefore IMO with your desk depth of 55cm you have plenty of room on the basis that like me you are happy that the output tray (not shown in Keith's picture above) sticks out over the edge of the shelf or desk.

Note ~ the output tray extends approx 18cm with A4 paper and though I have yet to use my A3+ paper....the tray does AFAIK (I have pulled it to full extension) extend further out at 22cm from the printer.

My shelf unit has open frame sides so I have put the printer as close as possible to the end of the shelf but I also need to freeboard space at the other end ~ so IMO you need to allow a minimum of 58cm width space.

PS If you use for general office printing beware of using too light a paper. I inadvertently bought 'recycled' 80 gsm paper and it is not 'as heavy' as the previous mixed source paper. The reason I say beware....is that I have found that if you print duplex with large areas of graphics the ink soaks the paper and it jams the duplexer. I will not be making that mistake again !!!

I hope that helps and best of luck with it when/if you decide to get one :)
That's fantastic, many thanks. I had actually got part way through that review but obviously not far enough (I only stopped as I was trying to cook dinner while reading it)
I'm now on the hunt for one in stock, but as you said a while ago, finding one may not be easy...
Again, many thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
That's fantastic, many thanks. I had actually got part way through that review but obviously not far enough (I only stopped as I was trying to cook dinner while reading it)
I'm now on the hunt for one in stock, but as you said a while ago, finding one may not be easy...
Again, many thanks,
Steve
Well Steve, the Epson store still currently show stock to 'Buy Now'... ;)

I have not checked John Lewis again?

Well Steve, the Epson store still currently show stock to 'Buy Now'... ;)

I have not checked John Lewis again?
So they do - John Lewis didn't have any yesterday but fotospeed have them and at a lower price - I've not heard of them so will do a little research..!
I'm actually in no rush as I'm about to go away for 2 weeks.
Thanks yet again!

So they do - John Lewis didn't have any yesterday but fotospeed have them and at a lower price - I've not heard of them so will do a little research..!
I'm actually in no rush as I'm about to go away for 2 weeks.
Thanks yet again!
Re: Fotospeed
I wish I had spotted that one ~ c'est la vie :)

PS hopefully they will still have the stock when you get back :thinking:

Hey Phil,

i Think i like the challenge, thx for pointing that out, as i thought it would be straightforward.
I started printing in a darkroom. For me photography is in the final stage, printing.
I was thinking of even buying darkroom equipment as i have plenty of space in the garage.
But with the paper and film prices so high i dont think it's worth it at the moment.
So assuming i'm ok with doing a bit of reading about printing, what would printer would be a good start? I dont even know what to look for.
I have a small printer but the ink is too expensive and only lasts for a few pictures.
thx
for the reply,
Marino

I generally prefer 'proper' photographic prints, i.e. C Types similar to those you'd get from a darkroom. It's not practical to print C Types at home.

Get a variety of prints on different papers before committing one way or another. The Prints Space do a sample pack but it's probably worth using your own image.

I'm still dithering in part as we now may need to print a lot of cards, something like 300gsm weight. I need to do more research I fear..

I'm still dithering in part as we now may need to print a lot of cards, something like 300gsm weight. I need to do more research I fear..
FWIW

Re: The ET-8550
I have ordered based on my initial tests some papers including 300gsm and 310gsm papers.

Also, you mention printing lots of cards................the printer is not a speed demon and though I understand it will take a few sheets at a time in the rear feed path loader it is best to not put more than just a few in. So, if speed and stacking a load of sheets is your aim, the ET-8550 may not suit you?

However, as mentioned I will be printing (some) greetings cards on mine but I see it it as Ad Hoc and I have time to wait and load/unload as appropriate.

PS here Keith Cooper is testing a more unusual printer for card printing..............
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynP5chsRZng
..........but (not sure what time stamp) he makes a very IMO complimentary comment about the ET-8550 and card printing ;)

@stevewestern

Just some extra info for you

I found this in the ET-8550 manual
PHOTO PAPER LOADINGS B 2022-05-30 194618.jpgPHOTO PAPER LOADINGS A 2022-05-30 194404.jpg

As a point of reference:-
Epson Photo Glossy is 200gsm
Epson Premium Semigloss is 251gsm

And as mentioned I have printed on max 300gsm Matte type paper (non Epson)

So, based on the weight at max A4 @ 300 or higher gsm I would consider it wise to load max 15 sheets in the Rear paper feeder. NB the cards I will be printing are smaller than A4 therefore perhaps 20 still viable :thinking:

PS on the face of it, it certainly can have a few sheets loaded at a time ;)

@stevewestern

Just some extra info for you

I found this in the ET-8550 manual
View attachment 355493View attachment 355494

As a point of reference:-
Epson Photo Glossy is 200gsm
Epson Premium Semigloss is 251gsm

And as mentioned I have printed on max 300gsm Matte type paper (non Epson)

So, based on the weight at max A4 @ 300 or higher gsm I would consider it wise to load max 15 sheets in the Rear paper feeder. NB the cards I will be printing are smaller than A4 therefore perhaps 20 still viable :thinking:

PS on the face of it, it certainly can have a few sheets loaded at a time ;)
You are being so helpful here, it's really appreciated. I've got limited time at the moment to research but your input is helping me so much, thank you!

You're welcome and happy to share information as I need to find it myself.

FWIW the papers I settled on for cards are Pinnacle brand from Paper Spectrum. Size A6 (both portrait & landscape) and 140mm square plus non card A4 Cotton RAG Bright White 310gsm.

I am have been debating about buying a printer.
I am in the process of selling prints and to start with I will getting prints from a local pro shop. Only because I want to see how demand / sales go and if it is successful I will buy a printer.

I have an some older pro Canon 10 ink cartridge printers. Simply because they go for apx £300 and ink is apx £10 a cartridge.

You're welcome and happy to share information as I need to find it myself.

FWIW the papers I settled on for cards are Pinnacle brand from Paper Spectrum. Size A6 (both portrait & landscape) and 140mm square plus non card A4 Cotton RAG Bright White 310gsm.
I had hoped to have time to call in on Fotospeed on my way up to London but the traffic was awful so no time. Instead I phoned in, chatted with Ben who was very helpful and I've ended up ordering an 8550 and some card blanks (can't remember which ones) for delivery when I get home. I expect I'll try the pinnacle ones too.
All I need now is to take a few pictures worth printing...

I had hoped to have time to call in on Fotospeed on my way up to London but the traffic was awful so no time. Instead I phoned in, chatted with Ben who was very helpful and I've ended up ordering an 8550 and some card blanks (can't remember which ones) for delivery when I get home. I expect I'll try the pinnacle ones too.
All I need now is to take a few pictures worth printing...
I feel sure that once you get going bearing in mind the inks last for ages....................you might print more than you think ;)

Did I post (above?) about EPL (Epson Print Layout) software, I have found it to be very useful so far as dedicated Epson Printing software :)

Update
I ordered the aforementioned cards and also got A4 sheets of each to print the profile creation targets.....only posted them back today.

Once I receive the custom icc profiles I will then print some trial cards......................what I need to get my head round is the process of modifying some already available psd templates and 'designing' the back of the card as part of the template.

One thing I have in my 'to do list' is go progressively though my image files and flag(copy to their own folder?) all images that I think will be for greetings cards and general prints only. By that I mean any images I have already set aside for limited edition prints will never be used to print cards.

PS Something I have found with the ET-8550.
The general prints so far I have printed on Epson papers but have found with third party papers (so far only the Paper Spectrum ones) that the glossy and to a lesser extent the semi-gloss (the card papers I have picked) the printer leaves a roller mark. Now the odd thing is that the paper weight of the Glossy is quite low @ 240gsm shows the mark more than the Semi-Gloss at 320gsm and the Cotton Rag @320gsm has no visible mark.....almost the reverse of what I might have expected to see???

Now, as I think I mentioned my printer had a hard courier journey so just maybe there is some unexpected/unknown internal problem??? Or just perhaps the surface of the Glossy is more prone to such roller pressure??? I am considering whether to report this to Epson but as the Epson papers do not exhibit that oddity I surmise they will show little interest :thinking:

FWIW my planned A6 and 140mm x 140mm cards will not fall within the print width of the printer where the roller line is seen. So going forward it may be a case of choosing the appropriate third party paper that is minimally to not affected!

I posted about this roller marking on DPReview forum and one member from across the pond posted saying he too had seen such marks but with heavier weight papers (only).

Hello again,

This time I'm typing this message and everything on my screen has a blue tint.
No, I'm not tripping, it's just that I've been trying to calibrate my screen on my own which is nearly impossible:help:.
I'm getting different colours when i print (compared to what i see on my screen)
I'm frustrated, help:headbang:, I'm a big time noob

The monitor is a samsung s24f352fhu and the printer is a canon g650

I can only change R B G Colours on my screen and gamma. i can't change brightness, it's really strange. I'm thinking before i even consider buying a screen calibration device, does the monitor have all the available settings that need changed?

Hello again,

This time I'm typing this message and everything on my screen has a blue tint.
No, I'm not tripping, it's just that I've been trying to calibrate my screen on my own which is nearly impossible:help:.
I'm getting different colours when i print (compared to what i see on my screen)
I'm frustrated, help:headbang:, I'm a big time noob

The monitor is a samsung s24f352fhu and the printer is a canon g650
I have downloaded the manual from here https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/LS24F352FHUXEN/#downloads

And the are lots of places in it where brightness and it's settings are mentioned.

I can only suggest that you reset it to factory settings and have a look at this website for some insights to check the setup of your monitor http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

PS to have reached a stage where you have gotten a blue tint is not helping you......that is why IMO your first step now is the factory settings reset before you do anything else!

PPS re: screen calibration ~ yes, a calibration device is IMO vital where colour accuracy is required.

Last edited:
Back